Oilers Broadcast changes

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Tons of people didnt like Michaels at all on radio. I never listen to radio so I'm not familiar with him at all. Its subjective, people like different things. He's probably an improvement over Kevin Quinn, but anybody would be.

I dont like Jack and Bob on radio either, but Jack has a solid voice and he is much better on TV when you’re not relying on him to describe everything in detail. He knows the game, calls it efficiently, and adds excitement and a solid rapport with DeBrusk. It’s NIGHT AND DAY compared to yesterdays broadcast. You don’t have to like him, but its hard to believe your brain cells are properly oxygenated if you can watch Singh one night and Michaels the next and not see the improvement.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont like Jack and Bob on radio either, but Jack has a solid voice and he is much better on TV when you’re not relying on him to describe everything in detail. He knows the game, calls it efficiently, and adds excitement and a solid rapport with DeBrusk. It’s NIGHT AND DAY compared to yesterdays broadcast. You don’t have to like him, but its hard to believe your brain cells are properly oxygenated if you can watch Singh one night and Michaels the next and not see the improvement.

huh, You know that its completely OK that people like different things, and want different things from a broadcast. Earlier another poster gave this great rundown a few pages ago;

From reading this thread and reddit comments, it seems hockey viewers tend to fall into one of two camps when it comes to play by play preference:

1. High energy excited cadence with effective inflections at mapping the energy of the game into an audio verbalized form.

2. Effectiveness at calling player names and efficiently describing the play on the ice.

Singh was excellent at (2) and awful at (1) which is why I think he is so divisive. Personally I would prefer a Type 1 announcer to a Type 2, and very few announcers are great at both, so I didn't much care for Singh but I like Jack Michaels.

My own take is that Singh has excellent enunciation, his voice is crystal clear, easy to hear. Quinn was terrible in that regard, the worst, sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. Michaels slurs his speech. Not a great sound to me.

Singh has a far clearer voice, not even close.

I have trouble hearing what player has the puck when Michaels is calling the game. These shit uniforms they been wearing, they don't help. 3 times tonight I rewinded just to see who actually had the puck, who actually made the play. I mean Michaels got the PBP wrong on 2-3 scoring plays tonight, didn't even correct himself.

hopefully we go back to normal uniforms.​

Reactions: Stoneman89

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Michaels was actually decent tonight. Simple play calling and not over the top. Only one cringe worthy weird aside with Debrusk who sounded mystified and let it go to dead air but Michaels will garner more professionalism on tv and divorced from amateur hour Boob Stuffer. I like that Jason Strudwick is added to the broadcast bringing his NHL experience and sense of humour to the role.

Radio is called theatre of the imagination but Michaels /Stauffer from the limited listenings I had were all over the map which distracts and annoys when one is trying to capture what is happening on the ice. Moon is a great hire. He has excellent experience and a quality Play by Play call, game knowledge and voice. He'll need all his skill saddled with a guy that played midget hockey and won't ever stop talking about it!

EDIT: Singh's opening night broadcast was significant for the story it represents of where he's from and how he's come to love hockey. Followed that dream calling games in Punjabi and lived his dream with the NHL game call on Wednesday. Most definitely some nerves but a pretty compelling story of a guy who earned this shot. We'll see how/if he is used for future broadcasts but a nice way to start the season imo.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Loved Jack and Louie tonight with Tony filling in for Gene. 10000 times better than Quinn Remenda and Gene. Nothing against Gene but I am a big Tony Brar fan. Wish Quinn well. Remenda, he can be cleaning toilet stalls somewhere in San Jose for all I care.

PS nice touch to see Strudwick and Stauffer -who has a face for radio but knows his stuff. They need to turn the lights down, he is squinting all the time.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Loved Jack and Louie tonight with Tony filling in for Gene. 10000 times better than Quinn Remenda and Gene. Nothing against Gene but I am a big Tony Brar fan. Wish Quinn well. Remenda, he can be cleaning toilet stalls somewhere in San Jose for all I care.

PS nice touch to see Strudwick and Stauffer -who has a face for radio but knows his stuff. They need to turn the lights down, he is squinting all the time.
You could tell Jack came from radio, every 2 minutes he was telling us how much time was left, but other than that I thought he did a good job, I also like Tony Brar alot more than Gene.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It’s NIGHT AND DAY compared to yesterdays broadcast. You don’t have to like him, but its hard to believe your brain cells are properly oxygenated if you can watch Singh one night and Michaels the next and not see the improvement
Tough to argue with this take. Micheals just has a superior understanding of the game. This was evident in how much more animated and involved Louie was today vs yesterday. Whether some one likes Micheals’ style or not is not really the point. At least he’s a professional broadcaster ... what we heard in game one was nowhere near professional standards. I agree with you that’s it’s tough to imagine being unable to recognize that.
I also like Tony Brar alot more than Gene
I agree with this as well. Brar comes across as a competent professional. Gene comes across as a clown.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Tough to argue with this take. Micheals just has a superior understanding of the game. This was evident in how much more animated and involved Louie was today vs yesterday. Whether some one likes Micheals’ style or not is not really the point. At least he’s a professional broadcaster ... what we heard in game one was nowhere near professional standards. I agree with you that’s it’s tough to imagine being unable to recognize that.
I agree with this as well. Brar comes across as a competent professional. Gene comes across as a clown.
Brar has also played Ball hockey at a high level for quite some time. While it's different than ice hockey, theres still alot of similarities so his understanding of the game is far superior to Gene.

Gene is honestly embarrassing to me as an oiler fan, I often just mute the TV until puck drop as I know I'm not going to be gaining any useful information before then if he's on the TV.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Gene is honestly embarrassing to me as an oiler fan, I often just mute the TV until puck drop as I know I'm not going to be gaining any useful information before then if he's on the TV
I feel the same. He’s probably a nice person, friend, whatever, but he isn’t knowledgeable about the sport, he isn't particularly good at interviewing players, and his ‘jokes’ got stale several years ago. Strudwick or Brar would be a giant improvement.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Jack on TV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jack on Radio

Although I did say my main beef with him was him and Stauffer just shooting the shit too much.

This.

I agree. If we get exactly this going forward i think things are setup well. I like the Jack + Louie combo alot on TV and Stauffer and Cam on the radio is a very good duo as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Broadcast was fine, I miss Gene.

I don't get why people dunk on him. Kids watch the games too you know. As for the interviews, there are never good hockey interviews. I'd personally rather just toss them altogether. Always the same canned answers.

Reactions: McLarsonator

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Tony Brar did a hell of a lot better than I thought for sure

but Gene is Gene

Reactions: oilers'72

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Brar has also played Ball hockey at a high level for quite some time. While it's different than ice hockey, theres still alot of similarities so his understanding of the game is far superior to Gene.

Gene is honestly embarrassing to me as an oiler fan, I often just mute the TV until puck drop as I know I'm not going to be gaining any useful information before then if he's on the TV.

I worked with Tony for a couple years. Genuinely the nicest human you'll ever run into, no job too big, too small, or "beneath him" and a smile on his face 100% of the time.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I worked with Tony for a couple years. Genuinely the nicest human you'll ever run into, no job too big, too small, or "beneath him" and a smile on his face 100% of the time.
He did a great job last night filling in. Seems well suited for TV job in the not so far future.

My own take is that Singh has excellent enunciation, his voice is crystal clear, easy to hear. Quinn was terrible in that regard, the worst, sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. Michaels slurs his speech. Not a great sound to me.

Singh has a far clearer voice, not even close.

I have trouble hearing what player has the puck when Michaels is calling the game. These shit uniforms they been wearing, they don't help. 3 times tonight I rewinded just to see who actually had the puck, who actually made the play. I mean Michaels got the PBP wrong on 2-3 scoring plays tonight, didn't even correct himself.

hopefully we go back to normal uniforms.​
I agree with this to some extent. Hopefully it's just a matter of adjustment for him with working on TV vs. radio and he will only get better.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He did a great job last night filling in. Seems well suited for TV job in the not so far future.

I agree with this to some extent. Hopefully it's just a matter of adjustment for him with working on TV vs. radio and he will only get better.

Yup, he'll be great.

His ball hockey skills are no joke either. We'd play staff intramural hockey on the concrete pad at Rogers Place in the summer - absolutely ridiculous hands on Tony.

It's quite a damn thing to score a goal in that building, look up, and see the banners.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Actually, Im a dummy. I was watching the Canucks sportsnet feed. That guy is bad.
Didnt even realize Oiler feed was on.

The delay is probably going to be an issue for us on road games as well since the commentating will be coming from a studio in Edmonton not the rink. Think of it this way. It takes time for the video signal to reach the visiting teams studio, but if we're getting the live video with audio that's waiting for the video, there's always going to be a slight delay.

Hopefully people let Sportsnet know so they can try and fix it somehow.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The delay is probably going to be an issue for us on road games as well since the commentating will be coming from a studio in Edmonton not the rink. Think of it this way. It takes time for the video signal to reach the visiting teams studio, but if we're getting the live video with audio that's waiting for the video, there's always going to be a slight delay.

Hopefully people let Sportsnet know so they can try and fix it somehow.

Did the Canucks PBP crew do the games this week from a studio in Vancouver? Just assumed they were here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad