Oilers bouncing cheques to hotels and being sued?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
what the hell? Just on Global news, said it was not the first such incident. They then read some vague yada yada yada statement from the oilers about challenges re pandemic and such.

Bizarre.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
what the hell? Just on Global news, said it was not the first such incident. They then read some vague yada yada yada statement from the oilers about challenges re pandemic and such.

Bizarre.
It’s only one hotel and happening twice, I don’t think the issue is not having money or there would be more hotels with bounced cheques

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Saw this this morning. Doesn't make sense why the hotel would go to the extent of suing. Did they go through every other option before deciding this? Because it's not like the OEG is strapped for cash. Seems odd.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Saw this this morning. Doesn't make sense why the hotel would go to the extent of suing. Did they go through every other option before deciding this? Because it's not like the OEG is strapped for cash. Seems odd.

Be nice if they could spell Edmonton correctly in their legal document.

Reactions: snipes

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It was an accounting glitch and miscommunication per Edmonton Sun.

That's some grade A bullshit. An accounting glitch might delay payment by a couple months. The first bill was for a stay in December. 11 months ain't no accounting glitch.

fwiw pre-pandemic at least the OEG were ALWAYS hiring in their accounting department. The turnover was crazy. Shite pay for the experience and background in the jobs they advertise.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Meh, who cares. If it bounced for lack of funds I doubt they’re the only club to have that happen.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Meh, who cares. If it bounced for lack of funds I doubt they’re the only club to have that happen.

They have only bounced two cheques, that we know of, and they were both at the same hotel. Something shady going on there.

Last edited by a moderator:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
That's some grade A bullshit. An accounting glitch might delay payment by a couple months. The first bill was for a stay in December. 11 months ain't no accounting glitch.

fwiw pre-pandemic at least the OEG were ALWAYS hiring in their accounting department. The turnover was crazy. Shite pay for the experience and background in the jobs they advertise.
Yeah, people have said it probably has to do with the high turnover rate for their accountants. They probably don't want to say that in public.

I think it probably got lost between all of the movement in the accounting department. You are the 3rd person to mention the high turnover rate for accounts.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
It gets to the point of law suit? That is no simple accounting glitch, miscommunication.

It may have been a glitch or miscommunication to start but no one sues unless you are simply showing no signs of paying or dicking them around.
Given how common litigation is in the US, the hotel probably has a lawyer on staff ready to act as soon as something looks funny.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think it probably got lost between all of the movement in the accounting department. You are the 3rd person to mention the high turnover rate for accounts.

I'm a CPA which makes me call baloney on this as an excuse. Anytime I have seen (or worked) somewhere with really high turnover in finance groups a prick at the head of the department (or higher up) is a big part of the problem. Those pricks don't move. A $27,000 invoice doesn't go unpaid for almost a year simply due to turnover of staff. An invoice that size gets escalated to the head of the department pretty damned quick.

Because it is only the one vendor we have heard of it seems like there is something suspicious going on.

Anyone who pays any attention to the job market for accountants in Edmonton is aware of the high turnover with the Oilers. Covid is an exception. But any other time I have looked at the accounting job boards in the past decade in Edmonton there has been a posting of some kind with OEG.

fwiw I do know people who have worked in the finance department for the Rexall group. That sounds like a pretty crap organization to work for as an accountant.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It gets to the point of law suit? That is no simple accounting glitch, miscommunication.

It may have been a glitch or miscommunication to start but no one sues unless you are simply showing no signs of paying or dicking them around.

Yep. Soon as it hits the media the Oilers are on it. We've seen the due dilligence of this org, or the lack of it, in just about anything. Sounds to me as if nobody has even been minding the shop for the last several months. Probably closed down the head office, all departments and this is what happens.

For sure the Oilers were not responding in any way, and their replies now indicate that.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoop

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

No kidding. Katz was trying to stiff them.

lbc9876

Apr 5, 2019
They told me I’d get a refund in 30 business days for the March games. We’re now on businessday 50 something . A big freeking ponzi is what this feels like.

Reactions: Beerfish

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I'm a CPA which makes me call baloney on this as an excuse. Anytime I have seen (or worked) somewhere with really high turnover in finance groups a prick at the head of the department (or higher up) is a big part of the problem. Those pricks don't move. A $27,000 invoice doesn't go unpaid for almost a year simply due to turnover of staff. An invoice that size gets escalated to the head of the department pretty damned quick.

Because it is only the one vendor we have heard of it seems like there is something suspicious going on.

Anyone who pays any attention to the job market for accountants in Edmonton is aware of the high turnover with the Oilers. Covid is an exception. But any other time I have looked at the accounting job boards in the past decade in Edmonton there has been a posting of some kind with OEG.

fwiw I do know people who have worked in the finance department for the Rexall group. That sounds like a pretty crap organization to work for as an accountant.
What do you believe happened then? Were the Oilers just inept or purposely refused to pay?

It seems like a pretty big mistake to have for a couple of months. I am taking an intro accounting course in university where we learned about bank reconciliation. Shouldn't the Oilers have noticed that their books balance & bank balance aren't equal.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
What do you believe happened then? Were the Oilers just inept or purposely refused to pay?

It seems like a pretty big mistake to have for a couple of months. I am taking an intro accounting course in university where we learned about bank reconciliation. Shouldn't the Oilers have noticed that their books balance & bank balance aren't equal.

Given your options I would lean to refusing to pay. Ineptness might explain a small invoice, or a bunch of small invoices, not getting paid in a timely manner. But the first invoice was from December and was for $28K. The hotel would have contacted the Oilers many, many times to try and resolve the issue before they got lawyers involved 11 months after the hotel stay.

The Oilers shouldn't have needed a reconciliation to be aware of a $28K payment not going through due to insufficient funds in the account. *If* they wrote the cheque/tried to transfer the money in the first place. As soon as the cheque bounced the Oilers bank would have contacted the team as well as the hotel's accounts receivable department. If they didn't have enough money in the account the transfer wouldn't go through.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010

From what you know from the people who worked at the Rexall group, to the best of your knowledge, have things changed much since Katz sold Rexall a few years back?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
From what you know from the people who worked at the Rexall group, to the best of your knowledge, have things changed much since Katz sold Rexall a few years back?

The people I know who worked at Rexall were all there while Katz was still the owner. So maybe things have changed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rumour has it the Oilers had hired Ethan Moreau a couple years ago to look after the organizations expenses, since he did such a great job when he was team captain, and"forgot" to pay one of the teams road restaurant tabs.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Rumour has it the Oilers had hired Ethan Moreau a couple years ago to look after the organizations expenses.
55767431.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

As someone who has worked in hotels for 30 + years and has had to chase down money from some of the biggest companies in the world--yes, things do fall between the cracks and as for the magicallly $27K bills always get paid right away? no they do not. I assume my first post got deleted because I named two companies I had to chase for nearly a year to get payments well over 27K.

The bigger the companies the bigger the boondoggle of getting paid some times. I love dealing with smaller companies, because I usually would get the money within 30 days, Many companies have a system in place that once the bill is over a certain amount it gets moved higher up the food chain to either have the CFP or COO sign off on the payment.

In dealing with one of the largest companies in the world, my record is 18 months trying to get payment for an exclusive use of the hotel where I was front of house manager. The problem was from their side. they did not dispute the charges, they were just not sure which department was supposed to pay the use of the hotel

Last edited:

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
I think the real question is what the heck do you get for $27,000-$28,000 in a stay?

Are they getting 27 rooms at $1000 each, or staying there multiple nights? Looks like it was one night only both trips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->