Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The problem is that there have been threads devoted for specific topics before and it ALWAYS spills over. If the season is in the crapper after 10 games or something then have at 'er. In the meantime after 1 game, let's chill with the Hall, Reinhart, Chia, etc. crap.

Personally I think it is time for 30 day board bans

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I just hope the team can do something when McDavid isn't on the ice.

But I suspect with the best shutdown line in hockey, we will be seeing a 14-16 shot effort from the Oilers.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Everything we were concerned about going into the season was a giant problem last game...

Make all the excuses you want for the team... but it doesn't look good. Especially with our schedule to start the year.

I predict heads will roll

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hard to say what Bruins team will show up. That's basically the game in a nutshell. Do we see good Bruins version or the gang that took the night off in a 7-0 loss?

One advantage for the oilers is all these other teams are playing so many games they are already into the schedule and this game isn't anything particularly special for the Bruins, just another game, for the Oilers its another chance at showing up for the first time this season in a game.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Hard to say what Bruins team will show up. That's basically the game in a nutshell. Do we see good Bruins version or the gang that took the night off in a 7-0 loss?

One advantage for the oilers is all these other teams are playing so many games they are already into the schedule and this game isn't anything particularly special for the Bruins, just another game, for the Oilers its another chance at showing up for the first time this season in a game.

I think it's the exact opposite. This is game 4/5/6 for the teams we are playing in the next few weeks. They are starting to get into form, systems will be working better etc. The Oilers have played one actual NHL game in roughly 5 months, and it was in Sweden.

I generally try to be optimistic about this team, but a week of practice between games usually isn't a good thing. And if the team wasn't motivated for the season debut in Europe with numerous players having friends and family in the stands, why will they be more motivated in Boston?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Just spend two minutes talking to a Leafs fan, that would nip any affection for that franchise right in the bud as it were. I lived in Toronto and love the city and would actually be inclined to see the Leafs succeed using the blueprint the Oilers threw away but the fans and media are such an absolute ****show.

And there is the problem, their fans and the media. I think they forget their dark ages

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've always hated the Bruins. It makes it even worse that my most hated player in the league - Marchand - somehow transformed from a middle 6 shit head into a legitimate star.

It'll be rough but I would LOVE for McDavid to lead the way to a complete demolishing of the Bruins. Maybe Looch flattens Marchand for bonus points.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it's the exact opposite. This is game 4/5/6 for the teams we are playing in the next few weeks. They are starting to get into form, systems will be working better etc. The Oilers have played one actual NHL game in roughly 5 months, and it was in Sweden.

I generally try to be optimistic about this team, but a week of practice between games usually isn't a good thing. And if the team wasn't motivated for the season debut in Europe with numerous players having friends and family in the stands, why will they be more motivated in Boston?

I think the Oilers could Win this game. Well rested, coming in completely fresh, Bruins already played multiple games. We seem to do well against Boston as well, just going on memory. The Oilers have a lot more to prove in this game. its just one of 82 for the Bruins.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And there is the problem, their fans and the media. I think they forget their dark ages
Forgot? The average leafs fan is probably 20something yrs old. Or it seems that way. The only thing they really know is that they are from Toronto and to look down at any other fanbase.

Leafs and their fanbase were always trolls. They were trolling Gretzky when Harold Ballard was the owner.

Reactions: Duke74

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
But that's just it. Last game was the same tired game from last year. There was not a single thing other than personnel that distinguished that game from games we saw last year. You could've said that was game 83 of the 2017-18 season and I would've believed you.

If the Oilers were trying to prove they're better than last year they failed.
they did
they also looked like Cup contenders after 1 game last year...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Does anyone see any difference in systems and break outs, special teams, etc from last year to indicate that the influence of the new assistant coaches have kicked in?

Are they doing anything different from last year. This is mostly a question to people that are keen observers of strategy and are more experts at the x's and o's then myself or others. Because if it all looks the same that has to be concerning considering they threw 3 people under the bus last year, which does not speak highly of the character of the bench boss if he stayed quiet and was ok with the blame on his subordinates while not really doing any sort of adjustments to make his new staff feel like they actually have some input. Not the smartest strategy to not listen if you are trying to make yourself look like you aren't the weak link.

Its early, maybe its an overreaction and hes been listening to them all summer, we are all just speculating and will be very glad to be wrong.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The Oilers lost the last game giving up five goals, they struggled on the breakout and failed to identify their defensive assignments at times. People came out crucifying Matt Benning. Nobody was complaining about the team's inability to produce offense--unless we're talking about a putrid PP, which is a different topic entirely.

19 shots, two from high danger areas. But offense wasn't the problem? Ok man.

Teams aren't built to outscore five goals against every night. It's ridiculous reasoning and it mirrors exactly how the initial rebuild was crafted. Gather high end offense, ignore the defense and pray the cap space doesn't run out. Your logic has been debunked time and time again and you still choose to consistently repeat yourself.

Come on man, you're better than this strawman b.s.

Nobody, including the management, thinks this team will be a defensive powerhouse. The expectation though is that the team will understand what defense is. That was something that was a serious concern before McDavid got here.

It's not shaping up to be an offensive powerhouse either. So what, exactly, is this team?

Last edited by a moderator:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers lost the last game giving up five goals, they struggled on the breakout and failed to identify their defensive assignments at times. People came out crucifying Matt Benning. Nobody was complaining about the team's inability to produce offense--unless we're talking about a putrid PP, which is a different topic entirely.

C'mon. The Oilers sustained nothing at all in that game. Got one PP goal on a cheesy call that never should have been a penalty and got a garbage time goal. Offense was invisible in that game. The Oilers had one line, if that, going.

2 goals doesn't win many games.

EVERYBODY Was complaining about the Oilers breakout, transition, and offense, which was non existent.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The problem isn't that the coaches want to teach defense, that's gonna be mandatory.

The problem is the coaches want to win 2-1 when we should be trying to win 4-3.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't mind being a team with less GP heading into a points race though.

I do hate playing teams that have already shaken off early season rust while the Oilers have played one game in 8 days.
puts Edmonton a step behind right from the get go.

I'll be an optimist, but only if Rask starts.

If Rask starts, Oilers win 6-2.

if Halak starts, we'll lose 3-1 :(

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The problem isn't that the coaches want to teach defense, that's gonna be mandatory.

The problem is the coaches want to win 2-1 when we should be trying to win 4-3.

We don't have the players to score 4 goals a game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I dunno. Doesn't look like it.

It should still be what we try though because we definitely don't have a defense that can be relied on to average 2 or less against.
I agree with that much. Our defense couldn't stop a beach ball. I just don't think there's enough firepower up front when 97 isn't on the ice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno. Doesn't look like it.

It should still be what we try though because we definitely don't have a defense that can be relied on to average 2 or less against.

Scoring 4 or even 3 goals for this team is going to be a monumental task on many nights.

McDavid is good enough to push them to 2 on most nights, but after that things become very hazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad