@
large.png

OILERS: 3-2-0[/B] VS OPPONENT: 2-4-0

[fieldset=Game Info]Game Day: January 30th, 2013
Game Time: 7:30 p.m. Mountain Time
Radio: 630 Ched.
TV: SNET-W
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Roster Updates] EDMONTON: Seems like Nikolai Khabibulin will slot back into the lineup given Yann Danis was put on waivers. Still, Edmonton has numerous players on IR, including Ben Eager (concussion), Ryan Jones (eye), Theo Peckham (hip), and Andy Sutton (knee).

OPPONENT: Mike Smith, who is on IR with a lower-body injury, is the main absentee Coyote, but the team is also missing Matthew Lombardi (upper body) and Rostislav Klesla (lower body) as well as Raffi Torres, who is still serving a suspension.
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Lineups]EDMONTON:
Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Petrell
Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi

Smid-Petry
Schultz Sr.-Schultz Jr.
Whitney-Potter

Dubnyk
Khabibulin​

OPPONENT:
Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Lombardi-Moss
Bolduc-Gordon-Chipchura

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Derek Morris
Kiesla-Schlemko

Johnson
Labarbera
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Who to watch?]OILERS TO WATCH: The Oilers' offense has been led by Taylor Hall, who has a point in every game so far this season and leads the team with seven. Eberle has goals in consecutive games and leads the team with three.

OPPONENT TO WATCH: Oliver Ekman-Larsson has helped to pace the Coyotes attack, registering five points in his last four games. Wing Lauri Korpikoski also has two goals in his last three contests.
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Quotable][/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Comparison]
| Oilers | Coyotes
Points|6|4
Wins|3|2
Shutouts|0|1
PP Success Rate|35.7% (2nd)|24.1%
PK Success Rate|85.2% (10th)|80.0%
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Leaders]
| Oilers | Coyotes
GOALS: |Yakupov (3)|Sullivan (4)
ASSISTS:|Hall (6)|Vrbata (4)
+/-: |Hall (+3)|Yandle (+4)
[/fieldset]

*Special thanks to OilCountry84 for the Captioned Pictures GDT last year, idea plagiarized off the GDT master himself*

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
get shots on the net! they don't have the best of goaltending, not saying that the Oil do but I like our offensive power.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
Why don't the #Oilers score at even-strength? Simple; right now the team SH% is 4.3%. Either worst team in modern history, or small sample.

Must mean that once Eberle gets going he'll get 40 this year.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
OPPONENT:
Wilson-Fisher-Erat
Borque-Legwand-TBD??
Clune-Gaustad-Yip
Kostitsyn-Spaling-Smith

Josi-Weber
Gill-Klein
Hanna-Ellis

Rinne
Lindback?

Why is there the Nashville roster listed on the GDT vs. Phoenix? Hahaha.

BadMedicine*

All the Oilers need to do is use a controlled 3 transition style to generate a high number of shots on net and the Yotes will snap like a dry twig. The Yotes wither in the face of high paced non-stop shots on net, thier style is predicated on not allowing a large volume of shots on net, they challenge the shooter early and often looking for takeaways, but short give and gos and a controlled smooth set of zone transitions will overcome their system. Using a two man deep headman tactic to legally pick off the d-man as you charge up the middle at 75% speed and let the second man behind you take the puck past the check upspeed as you exit the neutral zone will dissect the Yotes because they focus on wide neutral zone coverage and are weak down the middle. We will need to focus on keeping a man back deep all night as well because they love to make lighning fast transitions out of the neutral zone straight up the middle via turnovers they generate there, short give and gos combined with a solid two man deep push up the middle exiting the neutral zone and we will dominate this game for 60 mins, one tactic will work for 60 mins, unfortunately for the Yotes they tried to keep Waynes transition tactics but their interpretation has no defensive quality to it at all. Watching the game will result in a post game summary that says something like the Oilers played the Yotes game better then the Yotes did, because if we do as I outlined we will be feeding them their own version of Gretzkys zone tactics supported with a sound defensive framework that our system is based on. If our d-men can sprint up to the blue-line and make a long bomb pass a foot over we will eclipse the sphere of influence of their n-zone game and catch them directly up the middle, but long passes from deep in our zone will be picked off consistantly by their neutral zone focus and intention of lightening transitions from there, we need to keep our middle solid and deny them our belly.

5-2 win Oilers with the 4th line having another great game, it might be time to sit Petrell and bring Lander up to complete the Nordic line, we can pop Belanger up between Smyth and Horcs, this wll allow us to add Landers gritty annoying prsence to the 4th line and give them a chance to showcase what they had cookin in OKC which in my opinion was as sweet as the PP down there, the 2nd line was anchoring that team.

It looks like Hemmer is starting to look for more passes so I expect Yakupov and Gagner to look sharper tonight, it is time for Gagner to focus on letting the puck go more and helping Yakupov out by relieving some of the goal scoring pressure 5 on 5 , I hope to see some nice breakout passes to Yakupov from two feet over our blueine. Sam has a strong close-in game he needs to take four or five possesions straight to the net tonight and draw a few penaltys. If Hemsky uses his traditional o-zone entrylike he should jst 3 or 4 tme per ame, he needs to try going further around the net and then make a long against the grain crossice pass to a d-man taking his exact zone entry path coming in upspeed, it will look beautiful because teams are forced to flood the front middle of the net to defend Hemmers entry, it is a way to ease the pressure on Gagner and Yakupov in the front of the net and up the middle. Plus it looks awsome to catch a collapsed defense with an upspeed d-man coming in full tilt to wrist it home.

Last edited by a moderator:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Man Smith Lindback and Rinne. Talk about serious goaltending.

Seriousness, if the Oilers come out hard and hopefully get a 5 on 5 goal and take advantage of the PP this should be a easy win. PHX gets the lead, they're hooped.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So let me get this straight, that market is so strapped for cash they cant even ice their own lineup? They have to borrow Nashville's? :shakehead:

Move them to Seattle :sarcasm:

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
I think t-drag fell asleep at the wheel or tripped over his own stick dragging the toe too long at the line....

The good news we face a team with a weak net minder.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i hope taylor hall continues to play medicore and gets 3 pts

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
One of these days The Oilers are going to put it all together and blow a team out like they did to Chi last year. Here's hoping it's tonight

7-3 oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Hopefully those 3 assists aren't really "playmaker" assists.

i think at least one would have to be a playmaker assist, there is just no way Hall can maintain his unsustainable unplaymakery percentage

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I think it's a bit of a misnomer to call the Yotes a trapping team, at least by comparison to Lemaire's Devils and Wild traps. Lemaire took advantage of the 2 line pass, had his guys sit back at the blueline, and then collapse to the front of the net if the team gained the zone.

Tippett has a very aggressive forecheck, allows the other team the neutral zone if they can gain it, and then has a very aggressive d-zone puck attack. Much more aggressive than a traditional trap.

That said, if anybody can get around aggressive puck pressure, it's the Oilers' super-skilled puck-handlers. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at how the Oilers play.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Oilers always stink in Phx, don't see any reason it would be different tonight. Our guys always turn the puck over in terrible spots and get scored against on the counter. I'll say it's a bit closer tonight 3-2 Phx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad