Apr 2, 2018
So everyone gets screwed besides Edmonton. Cool
We dont get screwed? lol

Were losing one of our top prospects
A draft pick
Retain money on Lucic
Take back a bad contract
And pay Lucic signing bonus

We get screwed more than anybody in this deal and im an oilers fan who made this lol

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
you certainly value players much differently then I do.

I think Carolina makes out like superbandit here... but who knows how their owner feels about dollars in his pocket? as far as on the ice goes its a grand slam win

Again, this doesn't save Carolina money.

It's cheaper for Carolina to buy out Darling directly ($1.183M per year for 4 years) than do this convoluted trade ($1.8M per year retained on Lucic for 4 years while Lucic plays for LA)

Take out the 2nd round pick and it might make some sense. I'd rather use the 2nd round pick this draft or trade it for a proven forward than use it on Poolparty.

But I don't see this making any sense for Edmonton either even with that pick.

If LAK are interested in Poolparty and Lucic, just retain more and send Lucic straight to LA. But LA isn't interested in Lucic either.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
We dont get screwed? lol

Were losing one of our top prospects
A draft pick
Retain money on Lucic
Take back a bad contract
And pay Lucic signing bonus

We get screwed more than anybody in this deal and im an oilers fan who made this lol

The "best prospect" you're losing is a reclamation project at best. A 4th OA pick with 37 career points in his draft +3 year
The draft pick is a 3rd
you're retaining a hair over 1M
the "cap dump" you're taking back is only 2/3 the money and half the length of the one you're dumping
and you gain a protection spot for the expansion draft.

Mostly you guys screwed yourselves when you signed Lucic to that ridiculous contract. Finding someone to take him while you keep your first this year is a boon and you guys'd be crazy not to take it

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We retain on Lucic, get absolute garbage back, and give up Puljujarvi + 3rd? Why? What’s the point to this? Just buy him out and be done with it. Yes, it would suck tremendously in year 2 but it would get rid of a huge drag on the team, free up a protection slot, and we wouldn’t have to give up any assets. By the time year 4 rolled around the cap will have gone up another 7-8 million anyway so it doesn’t really hurt you.

I mean yeah you’ve moved Lucic but I seriously question whether the team is in a better position. I’d rather anchor his ass to the fourth line/press box until he retires out of shame.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Unrelated but how about Puljujarvi for Miles Wood ? Seems like a win win for both team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Deal is done after July 1st so Edmonton can pay Lucic Bonus of $3 Million

Edmonton:
Scott Darling AAV of $4.15 million for 2 years (at $7.1 Million Money Owed)
AAV of $1.2 Million Retained on Lucic Contract 4 Years at ($3.2 Million Money Owed)

Carolina:
Jesse Puljujarvi
$1.8 Million AAV retained Milan Lucic Contract 4 Years at $4.8 Million Money Owed)
6th Round Pick 2020 (Los Angles)

Los Angeles:
Milan Lucic AAV of $3 Million for 4 years (at $8 Million Money Owed)
2nd Round Pick 2020 (Carolina)
3rd round pick 2020 (Edmonton)

Carolina reasoning:

-Tom dundon saves $2.3 million in real money
-Considering Carolina might not be a team that spend right to the $84 million dollar cap, that retained on Lucic doesn't really effect anything
-Giving up a 2nd round pick for Puljujarvi is a great gamble by Carolina and hope he can bring some magic back with Aho and get rid of the Scott Darling contract and save the owner some money

Los Angeles reasoning:

-i know for some posters the Expansion draft might be an issue but with the LA Kings going through a rebuild and a lot of guys getting traded and with expiring contract there isn't much to protect when it comes to LA

-As i've mentioned before i think Lucic wouldn't mind going to Seattle so his NMC won't be an issue

(LA Fans help me out not sure who you guys would protect or not)

Kopitar
Kempe
Iafallo
Wagner?
Grundstrom?
Brown? Out of Loyalty?

Doughty
Ladue?

There might be a huge shift with the LA Kings this coming offseason,
these are the names rumoured to be on the move in Los Angeles throughout the offseason and next year

Kovalchuk ($6.25 million) (UFA by the time Expansion Draft happens)
Carter ($5.27 million) (Will be traded some where else by then or threaten retirement if taken by Seattle)
Toffoli ($4.6 million) (UFA next year)
Lewis ($2.0 million) (UFA next year)
Clifford ($1.6 million) (UFA next year)
Martinez ($4.0 million) (UFA by the time Expansion Draft happens)
Quick ($5.8 million) (More Likely traded but if not he'll be the goalie they'll protect)

$25.52 million AAV gone from the cap

-On top of it to there are a lot of guys gone from that team, so its good to have a character guy around and somebody who Kopitar, Doughty and Brown know and like
-Adding a guy who doesn't really effect the salary cap and getting a couple of draft picks back might be of interest

Oilers reasoning:

-Lose a good prospect, lose a draft pick, take back a bad contract and retain on Lucic is a lot from the oilers standpoint

-Now that Puljujarvi had his hip surgery we don't know whats going to happen with him, why trade offer is alot more crappy for the oilers then previous

-You can give back up duty to Darling and send him down whenever, give some games to Starret who's playing some good hockey in the AHL and maybe give Dylan Wells 1 or 2 game or worst case sign a cheap back up for next season

-Have Darling their for one year, then look to buy him out or retain and trade him again next off season, maybe just maybe he can get his career back on track

-I could see the oilers keep Lucic for one more year but it matters of the urgency of them getting rid of the Contract and wanting to change things up

-I don't think oilers are going to be a huge player this off season for the big time guys so we can take on some salary now if it means we clear out a lot for later, the next 2 years are going to be a slower process in edmonton so darling contract won't be an issue

-Somebody commented last time about Lucic back issue and he'll end up going on LTIR, so there also that scenario we'll see what happens there

-I heard from a decent source that i know (also is a Season Ticket holder), that Edmonton and Montreal had a deal worked out where the building blocks were centered around a Lucic for Alzner swap, Lucic agreed to waive his NMC and wanted to play there but Montreal wanted Edmonton to Retain $2.00 million AAV so thats why the deal fell through, I'm not a 100% sure if Puljujarvi was involved or not, hopefully i can find that out

Also of note i find it weird that Lucic was playing his best hockey this season around deadline time, then once that ended, back to not doing well anymore even though their battling for a playoff spot

Which explains this tweet from Roger Dicklund

Tell me what you guys think i always enjoy your comments thanks for reading!!

This is not a reliable source and his Tweets should not be allowed into this forum.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Again, this doesn't save Carolina money.

It's cheaper for Carolina to buy out Darling directly ($1.183M per year for 4 years) than do this convoluted trade ($1.8M per year retained on Lucic for 4 years while Lucic plays for LA)

Take out the 2nd round pick and it might make some sense. I'd rather use the 2nd round pick this draft or trade it for a proven forward than use it on Poolparty.

But I don't see this making any sense for Edmonton either even with that pick.

If LAK are interested in Poolparty and Lucic, just retain more and send Lucic straight to LA. But LA isn't interested in Lucic either.

Carolina gets a kid that was a consensus top 5 pick and has already proven hes at minimum a low level nhl player {still tons of opportunity to become more}

they are trading a second round pick... most of which never make the nhl

it maybe costs them a little money down the road but they arent a cap team and never will be. so it really comes down does their own want to spend a couple million to potentially get his hands on a top 5 pick

im sorry you cant see this but anyone that says Carolina isnt walking away smiling doesnt really understand trade value {and again I qualify this because im not sure how the owner feels about a few million dollars... he seems a bit strange and I cant just assume he will act in a rational manner}

unfortunately my bruins are up against the cap all the time... but if I could get puuljujarvi for a second and a little bit of cap retention id jump on that all day long {again assuming I had some cap retention I wasnt using}

honestly if Carolina fans dont like this deal offer it to another team. a second for puuljujarvi is great value

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's a win because Puljujarvi can still turn into a top 6 forward while Wood is more of a role player. Its a gamble that could pay off big time.
It's a gamble, not a win. A win would benefit a team, I don't see how Jesse Puljujarvi currently benefits the New Jersey Devils.

Miles Wood, right now, is a far superior player and the clock is ticking on Puljujarvi ever becoming even an NHL regular let alone top-6 forward.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
lets just not have lucic on the kings ever again for any reason and call it a day

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
lets just not have lucic on the kings ever again for any reason and call it a day
-Kovalchuk leaving
-Lewis and clifford will draw alot of interest come deadline time
-Everybody is going to go after toffoli and martinez
-Carter not sure whats happening with him retire or stay or traded
-Quick if they want to move him theyll get something good if not theyll just keep him

The team is going to look very different for the next couple of years, could use the lockeroom prescance and protection and you get some draft picks out of it

At $3.0 million AAV maybe if he turns it around in Los Angeles, they can flip him to a team thats getting beat up by tom wilson?

Agian some of those east teams could take on Lucic at $3.00 million AAV if he turns it around and the Kings get another asset

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
-Kovalchuk leaving
-Quick if they want to move him theyll get something good if not theyll just keep him

The team is going to look very different for the next couple of years, could use the lockeroom prescance and protection and you get some draft picks out of it

At $3.0 million AAV maybe if he turns it around in Los Angeles, they can flip him to a team thats getting beat up by tom wilson?

Agian some of those east teams could take on Lucic at $3.00 million AAV if he turns it around and the Kings get another asset

Let’s cut the Kings out then cause I don’t want him on the team. His trade signalled the downfall of the Kings. We don’t need or want him in any way.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Carolina gets a kid that was a consensus top 5 pick and has already proven hes at minimum a low level nhl player {still tons of opportunity to become more}

they are trading a second round pick... most of which never make the nhl

it maybe costs them a little money down the road but they arent a cap team and never will be. so it really comes down does their own want to spend a couple million to potentially get his hands on a top 5 pick

im sorry you cant see this but anyone that says Carolina isnt walking away smiling doesnt really understand trade value {and again I qualify this because im not sure how the owner feels about a few million dollars... he seems a bit strange and I cant just assume he will act in a rational manner}

unfortunately my bruins are up against the cap all the time... but if I could get puuljujarvi for a second and a little bit of cap retention id jump on that all day long {again assuming I had some cap retention I wasnt using}

honestly if Carolina fans dont like this deal offer it to another team. a second for puuljujarvi is great value

The money is more valuable to a team on a budget below the cap, not less. Carolina has a more limited budget so throwing extra money down the drain doesn't make sense.

There are plenty of ways Carolina could use a 2nd to get a current NHL player with a much better track record than "top 5 pick who hasn't done anything in the NHL yet." I'd rather see Carolina trade for a more expensive and more proven forward. If they are going to use it on a lottery ticket, just draft someone in the 2nd.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
-Kovalchuk leaving

Why would they do that? If he is so valuable, why doesn't Edmonton just keep him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
But the thing is... the potential is there. Pulju is a tremendous skater with big frame,
he obviously haves loads of talent, would-not-been-drafted 4th overall if he didn't.

Excellent against his own peers at the u20, u18 WJC's. In the Sm-Liiga he showed that he can play against men and succeed,
so he obviously is a pro hockey player.

The language thing, his inability to adjust to the NHL style of play, limits his "rebirth" i think. Now its obvious that he has made some progress but i guess not enough progress, or maybe the Edmonton Oilers is just the wrong place for him as the Arizona Coyotes
was the wrong place for Dylan Strome,... not that i'm particularly comparing their situations.

To remember: he is only 20 years young

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Why would they do that? If he is so valuable, why doesn't Edmonton just keep him.
We have to move him, its not working out in edmonton

When the GM comes out a says we have to get rid of long term contracts
He's only talking about a group of players

Lucic, Russel, Manning, Benning and maybe Sekera

If he does well somewhere else then good for him, but it wasnt a fit in Edmonton from the beggining, have to cut your loses and move on

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We have to move him, its not working out in edmonton

When the GM comes out a says we have to get rid of long term contracts
He's only talking about a group of players

Lucic, Russel, Manning, Benning and maybe Sekera

If he does well somewhere else then good for him, but it wasnt a fit in Edmonton from the beggining, have to cut your loses and move on
of the players you mention, i am only seeing Lucic with a long term contract that is hurting...... in your opinion what do you consider long term contract-meaning in yrs ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
But the thing is... the potential is there. Pulju is a tremendous skater with big frame,
he obviously haves loads of talent, would-not-been-drafted 4th overall if he didn't.

Excellent against his own peers at the u20, u18 WJC's. In the Sm-Liiga he showed that he can play against men and succeed,
so he obviously is a pro hockey player.

The language thing, his inability to adjust to the NHL style of play, limits his "rebirth" i think. Now its obvious that he has made some progress but i guess not enough progress, or maybe the Edmonton Oilers is just the wrong place for him as the Arizona Coyotes
was the wrong place for Dylan Strome,... not that i'm particularly comparing their situations.

To remember: he is only 20 years young

totally agree......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad