Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Skinner is not coming together. From the playoffs on he's been horrible. He had the worst GAA of any starter in the playoffs and outside of Campbell this season he's right down at the bottom as well. Last reg season was a complete fluke and he hasn't proven it otherwise. The difference is EDM had such an insane offense last year they were able to cover up the exact same mistakes he's continued into this season.

Last game was a prime example. 2 goals in 5 shots in the third. And he's consistently been doing that. 3 goals on 10 shots, 4 goals on 15 etc. EDM could have the exact same amount of grade A chances as their opponent in a game and EDM be will down a bunch because of him. He cost the team against Vegas last playoffs with the exact same reasons. Backbreaking goals and not making those saves. He's not a starter and Holland needs to find one somehow.
No argument that he's been really bad this season. Just thought the piling on for the Vegas game was unwarranted when you actually looked at the goals. Bad puck luck and 2 very well executed/unstoppable goals. Yes, goalies will often stop breakaways but that's not the same as goal 2 the other night. Surprise, guy is wide open less than a second after the drop of the puck ten feet out, he shifts the puck 4 feet to the side and places a shot. There is no reaction time there unless you are watching the game farting into your couch apparently, lol.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Im a little last to the party here but my biggest issue with the Vegas game was the last 3 goals against.
On the 2nd goal against and Im convinced that there must have been a set play for the Oilers. Thats the only way I can explain how 2 Oilers forwards willfully ignored the Vegas puck carrier.
It was a very bad look.

On the 3rd and 4th goals Knobloach needs to be asked why in the hell he had McLeod on the ice,
I get that he likes to run 4 lines but as it stands right now he is running a 3rd line without a legit 3rd line centre. McLeod isnt even close to being a 3rd line centre. He is a liability and that was evident on the 3rd goal. Knobloach shouldnt have put him out there again.
The 3rd and the 4th line for Vegas owned that line.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
These accolades are all good and fine, but really, only after the last few games. For the first few weeks of the season, a lot of the forementioned players were not very good.
As for Kostin, he been a healthy scratch for 4 games, and has produced a goal and an assist in 16 games.

The D have looked very good since the coaching change IMO.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No argument that he's been really bad this season. Just thought the piling on for the Vegas game was unwarranted when you actually looked at the goals. Bad puck luck and 2 very well executed/unstoppable goals. Yes, goalies will often stop breakaways but that's not the same as goal 2 the other night. Surprise, guy is wide open less than a second after the drop of the puck ten feet out, he shifts the puck 4 feet to the side and places a shot. There is no reaction time there unless you are watching the game farting into your couch apparently, lol.
Skinner was beat high on the play, because he was too far down in the crouch. Reaction time had nothing to do with it.

Surprise, that was a set play that teams work on. The Oilers have worked similar plays where guys are quickly open. It does occur.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
These accolades are all good and fine, but really, only after the last few games. For the first few weeks of the season, a lot of the forementioned players were not very good.
As for Kostin, he been a healthy scratch for 4 games, and has produced a goal and an assist in 16 games.
Thats more than several of our players and Kostin when playing is buried on 4th line getting 8mins.

Kostin got a false bill of goods from Detroit that he was in their plans. Bad player agent advice or miscommunication, but the Wings were saying Kostin would be given more of a role on the club, and they've gone a different way. Detroit had a pretty active offseason acquiring several players and thats resulted in a numbers game.

He was solid vs Belfour in 1999 and 2001. FWIW, better stats than Belfour despite losing each of those series... in 8 losses and 2 wins, there was only a single game with 4 or more goals scored, several 2-1 losses where he'd done all he can.

It's tough to get credit when you lose, but those Oilers teams were overmatched by Dallas those years.

But yeah, his career fell apart pretty catastrophically.
Salo suffered immensely from having to follow in Cujo's footsteps. No goalie could do that and Cujo was arguably the best big save goalie the Oilers ever had, even with apologies to Grant Fuhr. Salo was always going to be pale compared to Cujo. I wasn't a big fan of Salo though.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Was very interesting to hear gregor talk about our pk yesterday and then ask Ekholm after the game.

Essentially Gregor went back and watched all the penalty kills this year to see what differences there are from Woody to Knobby. Essentially same system, but we are blocking way more shots. Guys seem to just be getting into the lanes.

Amazing how guys just doing their jobs can get such better results.
Woody, Knobby, and the next one will be Noodly.

Thats more than several of our players and Kostin when playing is buried on 4th line getting 8mins.

Kostin got a false bill of goods from Detroit that he was in their plans. Bad player agent advice or miscommunication, but the Wings were saying Kostin would be given more of a role on the club, and they've gone a different way. Detroit had a pretty active offseason acquiring several players and thats resulted in a numbers game.

Salo suffered immensely from having to follow in Cujo's footsteps. No goalie could do that and Cujo was arguably the best big save goalie the Oilers ever had, even with apologies to Grant Fuhr. Salo was always going to be pale compared to Cujo. I wasn't a big fan of Salo though.
Mike f***ing Comrie more than Cujo.lol.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Interesting that Kostin has being treated the same way by 2 different organizations. Starting to see a pattern here that might relate to the player's own performance? Wonder if they'd take our figure skater extraordinaire Ryan McLeod for him straight up?

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Skinner was beat high on the play, because he was too far down in the crouch. Reaction time had nothing to do with it.

Surprise, that was a set play that teams work on. The Oilers have worked similar plays where guys are quickly open. It does occur.
Pardon? The set play where both defending wingers blast off up ice despite there being no dman between the hash marks? Great analysis lmao, happens all the time.
And reaction time not mattering when the puck is moved laterally multiple feet in a fraction of a second is hilarity. He should preemptively move to the other side of the net by reading the puck carriers mind! I get it, I've read 100 of your posts flaming Skinner but this is ridiculous.
Again, for the record, he's been putrid all year but the usual suspect posters will suspend reality as long as they get their shots in on him I guess.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting that Kostin has being treated the same way by 2 different organizations. Starting to see a pattern here that might relate to the player's own performance? Wonder if they'd take our figure skater extraordinaire Ryan McLeod for him straight up?
Not sure what happened in Detroit but Kostin was good in preseason and has been good in some games in regular season. The lineup is fairly deep. I dunno, I mean knock yourself out but we have several players not producing a drop so somewhat odd to say Kostin Only has a goal and an assist when he barely hits the ice in Detroit has been decent in games he has played.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pardon? The set play where both defending wingers blast off up ice despite there being no dman between the hash marks? Great analysis lmao, happens all the time.
And reaction time not mattering when the puck is moved laterally multiple feet in a fraction of a second is hilarity. He should preemptively move to the other side of the net by reading the puck carriers mind! I get it, I've read 100 of your posts flaming Skinner but this is ridiculous.
Again, for the record, he's been putrid all year but the usual suspect posters will suspend reality as long as they get their shots in on him I guess.
Skinner could got there in time. Puck goes over and to side of his shoulder. But with Skinner as per usual moving slowly on the play. I mean its a Amadeo, not exactly a prolific scorer. Nice tuck but many starters would make this stop.

Gee imagine that the league worst starter by miles that sunk our playoffs last year is getting some shots. poor baby. Long as we have Skinner as starter it limits everything we can do and the game result exemplified that.

Last edited:

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Skinner could got there in time. Puck goes over and to side of his shoulder. But with Skinner as per usual moving slowly on the play. I mean its a Amadeo, not exactly a prolific scorer. Nice tuck but many starters would make this stop.

Gee imagine that the league worst starter by miles that sunk our playoffs last year is getting some shots. poor baby. Long as we have Skinner as starter it limits everything we can do and the game result exemplified that.
Ah yes, the Campbell apologist is alive and well. The same guy who is the worst of our AHL crop ffs. What a prolific evaluator of talent, you should be a GM lmao. Sorry, cannot take your opinion seriously when it comes to Skinner, you have too much of an axe to grind.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ah yes, the Campbell apologist is alive and well. The same guy who is the worst of our AHL crop ffs. What a prolific evaluator of talent, you should be a GM lmao. Sorry, cannot take your opinion seriously when it comes to Skinner, you have too much of an axe to grind.
I don't like either of the goalies. Its a joke that we have McDrai and this is the goaltending state of the org. The goaltending of this club is of course the limiter.

I never wanted Campbell here. Just that we had him as the vet goalie acquisition and so that you want that to go well or to somehow get rid of the contract. More concerned about the 25M tied up that we could use otherwise had Holland not landed here.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Yes, I remember Replacement.

And yeah, we'd been pretty spoiled up to that point. Agree on the money goaltenders (you also forgot Ranford) up to that point... maybe not a big game goalie, but Salo was super consistent in the regular season though... we could use some of that now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure what happened in Detroit but Kostin was good in preseason and has been good in some games in regular season. The lineup is fairly deep. I dunno, I mean knock yourself out but we have several players not producing a drop so somewhat odd to say Kostin Only has a goal and an assist when he barely hits the ice in Detroit has been decent in games he has played.
I wouldn't say one goal and one assist in 16 games is a HUGE upgrade over no goals and a couple assists.:laugh:Obviously I haven't watched the Wings play nearly as much as you. How many games of theirs do you watch a week? From the stats I see, he gets 8-9 minutes in the games he plays, which is probably on par for some of our unproductive guys. I had no idea Detroit has such a deep lineup. At any rate, I also suggested a trade for him with McLeod going the other way.

When Draisaitl on here gets a hate on, or a love in for a player or something, it goes pretty deep.:D;)

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn't say one goal and one assist in 16 games is a HUGE upgrade over no goals and a couple assists.:laugh:Obviously I haven't watched the Wings play nearly as much as you. How many games of theirs do you watch a week? From the stats I see, he gets 8-9 minutes in the games he plays, which is probably on par for some of our unproductive guys. I had no idea Detroit has such a deep lineup. At any rate, I also suggested a trade for him with McLeod going the other way.

When Draisaitl on here gets a hate on, or a love in for a player or something, it goes pretty deep.:D;)
Detroit had a very active offseason. So many recruits, notably Debrincat and with additions still occurring like Kane. But the Wings forward build out is pretty decent depth.

Yeah I don't know about hate. I despise the org has such shit goaltending. At least when I get on players they're usually the mops like Yama or Skinner.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
That I would agree with but a capable NHL goalie just can't let in that 3rd goal, just can't. Team is playing an airtight game, playing in the opposition end pretty much the entire game, and your goalie gives up a stinker on pretty much the 1st scoring chance of the period (which wasn't really much of one) almost 14 minutes into the period. It's only one bad goal against but it's the timing of it that costs teams games or almost did in this case. He and Campbell have been doing that all season.

Thompson is a backup goalie though. Skinner is not. Therein lies the problem.
Thompson also made a ton of good saves to keep the deficit at 2 goals while Skinner was having a picnic back there.
I definietly agree with you, you do wish he could be a little bit more clutch but considering what Skinner has been earlier this season, il take that game from him, right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad