Oilers and drafting goalies

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Drafting a good NHL goalie is just dumb luck and almost no one is willing to trade one. The Oilers have been pretty unlucky for awhile but I have hope for Dubnyk.

All you can do is keep throwing 3rd/4th round picks at the problem and hope something sticks. If not Dubnyk, Bunz or Roy could be the guy. Only time will tell.

yup, the Oil probably won't be taking a goalie in the 1st round anytime soon, though if we ended up with the #23 pick or something in this years draft, i could see them taking a chance on Zack Fucale if he was still there.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
yup, the Oil probably won't be taking a goalie in the 1st round anytime soon, though if we ended up with the #23 pick or something in this years draft, i could see them taking a chance on Zack Fucale if he was still there.

What about Eric Comrie or Tristan Jarry?

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
or Spencer Martin, Brendan Burke or Marcus Hogberg? i'm all for a pick of one of these 3 or the 2 you mentioned above as long as it's the 3rd round or later if they're still there.

I've looked all the goaltenders in this year's draft and I've conclude that (as of now) only three goalies are capable to be starting goaltenders.

Name - SV%
Marcus Hogberg - .914
Ville Husso - .912
Eric Comrie - .909

Zack Fucale - .894

Spencer Martin, Brendan Burke, Tristan Jarry are all have small samples, so their stats are insufficient.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you look at some of the 1st round picks the Oilers made on dmen and forwards in the 90's and 00's (prior to the lotto picks these last few years)... they really wouldn't have done much worse by trying to draft a few goalies high in a lot of those years.

Schremp
Pouliot
Niinimaki
Mikhnov
Rita
Henrich
Riesen
Descoteaux
Kelly
Bonsignore
Stajduhar
Hulbig

With 1st round picks like those... would the Oilers really have done worse by choosing goalies in the 1st round instead? Hard to see how they would have done much worse.

Stadjuhar would have been the key to blue line for years if it was not for the bar fight--he was never the same afterwards

captaincaptain

Mar 9, 2011
You can get players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the 7th round so why waste 1st rounders on forwards?

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I've looked all the goaltenders in this year's draft and I've conclude that (as of now) only three goalies are capable to be starting goaltenders.

Name - SV%
Marcus Hogberg - .914
Ville Husso - .912
Eric Comrie - .909

Zack Fucale - .894

Spencer Martin, Brendan Burke, Tristan Jarry are all have small samples, so their stats are insufficient.

^sure, as of right now, but this seems to be a good year for the goalie, so i'm hopeful that the Oilers will draft at least one of Fucale, Martin, Burke, Comrie, Jarry, Hogberg or Husso....just one ......please? :hockey:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->