Rumor: Oilers among teams with serious interest in Ben Hutton

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, that's a mistake. That should read Carter Hutton.

Your best, oh correction, some random LD prospect... oh okay, just some random prospect and no retention on Carter, you say? Oh, no prospect at all?

Why, let me check with my... you know what? Sure, done deal!

Reactions: Morrison

Einhorn and Finkle

Dec 23, 2020
But then they’d have Carter Hutton, which... come on...

UYq9x1t.jpg

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Most likely for the taxi squad, but he does put a little pressure on Lagesson to keep his spot.

Plus the Oil do need some depth on the left side, as most of their key prospects at the position will be staying in Europe this year.

My guess at the depth chart

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Larsson
Lagesson-Bear

PB: Russell
Taxi: Hutton, Lennstrom
AHL(?): Bouchard, Kemp
Europe: Samorukov, Broberg, Berglund, Niemeläinen

If the AHL doesn't get off the ground, I'd expect to see Kemp loaned back to Europe, and Bouchard join the taxi squad.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
What is the scouting report on him? He seems to put up decent numbers for the minutes that he gets.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I could have sworn Ben Hutton signed in Detroit, like I would have bet money on it.

weird.

Just another bottom-six-able-to-play-in-the-top-four-for-a-short-time defenseman Benning has thrown away in the last years. Stecher, Hutton, Corrado, Biega, Fantenberg, Schenn. Toss in Tanev and Hamhuis on that list, except you can call them decent-to-good top pairing d.

The only saving grace is the amount of poor defensemen that Benning has also thrown away - Larsen, Clendenning, Pedan, Bartkowski, Weber, Sbisa (exp. draft), Pouliot, and a bunch of even more marginal players. Unfortunately Benning invariably pays some sort of asset to acquire the above.

Sigh. The asset mismanagement is horrific in Vancouver. Benning, in the last five years has managed to acquire three NHL quality d-men - one by overpaying in free agency (Myers) and then Hughes fell in his lap in the draft to due the ineptitude of the teams he has built. Schmidt was forced on him by the Vegas cap crunch and the fact that nobody else would take Schmidt's full salary and/or give any sort of asset.

What a depressing time I just had looking through Canuck rosters of the last five years.

Back on topic - I wouldn't mind Hutton back on a near league minimum contract. He's a capable bottom pair d-man with flashes to do more. Would rather him than Hamonic. Unfortunately, Benning has 24 million in dead and/or replacement level player tied up in cap.

Damn it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just another bottom-six-able-to-play-in-the-top-four-for-a-short-time defenseman Benning has thrown away in the last years. Stecher, Hutton, Corrado, Biega, Fantenberg, Schenn. Toss in Tanev and Hamhuis on that list, except you can call them decent-to-good top pairing d.

You think Frankie Corrado is a bottom six able to play in the top four for a short time defenseman?

I wouldn't want him playing Top 4 on my AHL team.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
You think Frankie Corrado is a bottom six able to play in the top four for a short time defenseman?

I wouldn't want him playing Top 4 on my AHL team.

Yeah, you're probably right. Last I checked he was a serviceable #6 but the only reason I know this is because he was the one drafted d-man that 'worked out' for the Canucks for a looooong time. So he's a fan favourite. :P

My mistake, if that is the case. You know him better than I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad