Oilers 8 wingers Vs. Waivers 8 wingers (Excluding contracts)

Which set of wingers do you prefer?

• Total voters

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think any team should take a flyer on Ho-Sang but Dinosaurs gonna Dinosaur

For being a one man show he sure is good defensively and has a lot of assist and is a better skater to his somehow narrative lazy comparable Schremp

"Insert lazy media narrative not a team player"

Call me a dinosaur, but Ho-Sang has 26 goals in 156 AHL games over the last three years.

By comparison Sam Carrick had 32 goals in 61 games last season. Logan Shaw had 27 in 63. Blake Pietila had 20 in 50. These are the type of players people accuse for being useless plugs because they are not flashy. Frankly, I'd rather take 30 garbage goals than 10 flashy goals if I'm trying to win, esepcially if those garbage goal players can also provide grit and take some PK minutes off my team's star players.

Reactions: MessierII

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
That's actually not an easy decision. I guess, Oilers by a bit?
It’s actually very easily the oilers set of wingers. The waiver wire wingers make the oilers group look like all stars

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I honestly dont know. I feel like the waiver wingers have more upside since they are younger, despite being similar right now

Nygard, Jurco, Kassian, Khaira, Granlund are all waiver players on regular teams. Chiasson and Neal move the needle for me since they are proven solid players. Id take Oilers wingers by a hair due to that

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Crazy to think that if Edmonton had hit on even 2/3 of Poolparty/Yama/Benson this could be a pretty good team.. That's too bad :(

**Benson could still develop into a top 6 guy and has looked good so far, just a bit of a slower development than we would have hoped. No clue what's gonna happen with Yama, and Pool can GTFO.

Edit: Wow, could have had Vesalainen, Poehling, Frost, Tolvanen or Kostin instead of Yamamoto LOL RIP
Almost every team can literally say something like this after every draft.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A surprisingly easy choice to go with the waiver crew. Yuck.

Lol at someone using neal as a standout example. I am sorry to tell you, you are sorely mistaken about his current talent and give a f meter.

He’s been really good in the preseason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Oilers.

They should take no pride in winning this, though. That group is pathetic.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I honestly dont know. I feel like the waiver wingers have more upside since they are younger, despite being similar right now

Nygard, Jurco, Kassian, Khaira, Granlund are all waiver players on regular teams. Chiasson and Neal move the needle for me since they are proven solid players. Id take Oilers wingers by a hair due to that

I agree with the others (we don’t know about Nygard yet), but Kassian probably makes every team in the league with his size, speed and physicality, Unless a coach hates him (which wouldn’t be surprising.)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree with the others (we don’t know about Nygard yet), but Kassian probably makes every team in the league with his size, speed and physicality, Unless a coach hates him (which wouldn’t be surprising.)

Do I just watch Kassian on his best nights or something? Because I could never figure out what it is about his game that coaches/teams don't like that he's usually relegated to the bottom six, instead of being used as the physical guy on a top line. He seems to have good hands and a decent shot. What is he lacking that a guy like Tom Wilson has?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Do I just watch Kassian on his best nights or something? Because I could never figure out what it is about his game that coaches/teams don't like that he's usually relegated to the bottom six, instead of being used as the physical guy on a top line. He seems to have good hands and a decent shot. What is he lacking that a guy like Tom Wilson has?

The big thing is his effort level isn’t there on a consistent basis, some games he’ll be doing everything you want him to like using his speed to get in on the forecheck, throwing hits and just playing hard and other nights he’s just coasting. I think honestly it might just be because Edmonton’s not that good right now and he’s not motivated, I remember when we were in the playoffs and if I remember correctly his effort level was way up there every game.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The big thing is his effort level isn’t there on a consistent basis, some games he’ll be doing everything you want him to like using his speed to get in on the forecheck, throwing hits and just playing hard and other nights he’s just coasting. I think honestly it might just be because Edmonton’s not that good right now and he’s not motivated, I remember when we were in the playoffs and if I remember correctly his effort level was way up there every game.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's messed up that Baertschi and Granlund are probably the two best wingers in this whole set. That's not great.

I'd take the waiver squad, on the strength of Baertschi being the best of the bunch, and the rest basically being a wash of awful inadequate wingers on both sides.

Obviously for the Oilers, the solution is to shift either Draisaitl or Nuge to the wing, and you've slightly fixed one part of the disaster...at the expense of making a hole at #3C. How much of a wreck that forward roster in Edmonton is...it's stunning. They've got 3 good players and a collection of waiver fringe surrounding cast. What do you even do with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad