Oilers 8 wingers Vs. Waivers 8 wingers (Excluding contracts)

Which set of wingers do you prefer?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think any team should take a flyer on Ho-Sang but Dinosaurs gonna Dinosaur

For being a one man show he sure is good defensively and has a lot of assist and is a better skater to his somehow narrative lazy comparable Schremp

"Insert lazy media narrative not a team player"

Ho-Sang's not good defensively. Has a lot of assists? He's got 17 assists in 53 career games. That's roughly about a 26/27 assist pace over 82 games. Considering playmaking is all he has going for him (he's not a goal scorer by any stretch), that's pretty bad.

People get excited because he skates fast, can stickhandle well, and has nice dangling ability. But there's a reason why he's struggling to even be a point per game guy in the AHL, and why his NHL career average is less than 40 points per 82 games. He's just not that good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ho-Sang has 8 goals/season in the AHL ... for a "skilled guy" he sure doesn't score enough.

8 AHL goals translates to what? Like 3 or 4 in an NHL season maybe?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oh yeah, if you bump Draisaitl to the wing then the Oilers win this AINEC. But from what I see, it looks like the Oilers are starting with Draisaitl and RNH playing center.

Which honestly is a better long term strategy.

The reason McDrai play together is because the depth the last two years has been so bad they literally requested to be paired together. They have obvious chemistry.

Dr. Drai is a natural centre and a good one at that (Memorial Cup MVP and best player in the 2017 playoffs as a centre on his own line). Without McDavid.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Ho-Sang's not good defensively. Has a lot of assists? He's got 17 assists in 53 career games. That's roughly about a 26/27 assist pace over 82 games. Considering playmaking is all he has going for him (he's not a goal scorer by any stretch), that's pretty bad.

People get excited because he skates fast, can stickhandle well, and has nice dangling ability. But there's a reason why he's struggling to even be a point per game guy in the AHL, and why his NHL career average is less than 40 points per 82 games. He's just not that good.

Why is he considered not good defensively I am very curious?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Which honestly is a better long term strategy.

The reason McDrai play together is because the depth the last two years has been so bad they literally requested to be paired together. They have obvious chemistry.

Dr. Drai is a natural centre and a good one at that (Memorial Cup MVP and best player in the 2017 playoffs as a centre on his own line). Without McDavid.

Nuge was a 69 point 2C last season with bad wingers. Using him as the 3C is a bad strategy short- and long-term.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
If you restructure the top 6 as:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Chiasson-RNH-Neal

that paints a different picture. Draisaitl was a 50 goal/100 point player last year, Chiasson scored 20 last year, and Neal has hit 20 8 of his last 9 seasons. Kassian would be the only "weak" link, and he'd be the toughness on a line with 2 100 point players.

Chaisson is not hitting 20 in that spot though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao what a freakin poll.

I prefer the waivers group, and that's no joke.

They at least have potential. Oilers' wingers offer literally nothing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why is he considered not good defensively I am very curious?

I don’t know how to be more specific...he’s not a good player away from the puck. :dunno:

And he’s never even been a prolific goal scorer at any level outside of one 30 goal year, he’s never scored more than 20 goals in junior or minors.

So he’s a pretty one dimensional guy...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Chaisson is not hitting 20 in that spot though.

Depends on his role on PP. he had 8PPG last year and 13 EVG last year. I believe he played a lot of netfront/low slot and maybe some bumper on the 1st unit last year cleaning up the garbage and tapping in goal mouth passes.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Crazy to think that if Edmonton had hit on even 2/3 of Poolparty/Yama/Benson this could be a pretty good team.. That's too bad :(

**Benson could still develop into a top 6 guy and has looked good so far, just a bit of a slower development than we would have hoped. No clue what's gonna happen with Yama, and Pool can GTFO.

Edit: Wow, could have had Vesalainen, Poehling, Frost, Tolvanen or Kostin instead of Yamamoto LOL RIP

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I don’t know how to be more specific...he’s not a good player away from the puck. :dunno:

And he’s never even been a prolific goal scorer at any level outside of one 30 goal year, he’s never scored more than 20 goals in junior or minors.

So he’s a pretty one dimensional guy...

But why is he a bad player away from the puck it should be pretty simple to explain you way you make sound. Does the team get out scored when he is on the ice? What about out chanced? I’m willing to listen to why he is one dimensional I just wanna know how he is.

I will concede .37 ppg is average for getting PP2 time.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
If you restructure the top 6 as:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Chiasson-RNH-Neal

that paints a different picture. Draisaitl was a 50 goal/100 point player last year, Chiasson scored 20 last year, and Neal has hit 20 8 of his last 9 seasons. Kassian would be the only "weak" link, and he'd be the toughness on a line with 2 100 point players.

what if u reconstruct it as

mcdavid-kassian-drai
rnh-neal-chiasson

wow that is a sick set of wingers

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Too bad the Oilers couldn't get some high draft picks.............

lawrence

May 19, 2012
crazy to choose the Waiver group. Oiler group consists of NHL players. Waiver group is almost AHL bound, wth, hfboards

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Voted for the oilers group...but damn if you consider the potential it´s pretty close or maybe vice versa.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
A surprisingly easy choice to go with the waiver crew. Yuck.

Lol at someone using neal as a standout example. I am sorry to tell you, you are sorely mistaken about his current talent and give a f meter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad