Oilers 8 wingers Vs. Waivers 8 wingers (Excluding contracts)

Which set of wingers do you prefer?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Oilers 8 wingers:

Tomas Jurco
James Neal
Joakim Nygard
Zach Kassian
Markus Granlund
Alex Chiasson
Jujhar Khaira
Josh Archibald

Waivers 8 wingers:

Sven Baertschi
Darren Sprong
Joshua Ho-Sang
Kenny Agostino
Nikolay Goldobin
J.T. Brown
Marko Dano
Scott Wilson

Which set of wingers do you prefer?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Jurco and Neal have looked good so far. Everyone else hasn't. We don't have much contract room either, so we can't really take too much advantage of waivers.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's pretty close but give me the Oilers' group.

James Neal has scored 270 goals in the NHL, the rest of these players combined have scored 439.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
It's pretty close but give me the Oilers' group.

James Neal has scored 270 goals in the NHL, the rest of these players combined have scored 439.

Ya, Neal is the only standout on either list. But Ho-Sang is young and, by all accounts, ultra talented. So he comes pretty close to making up the gap.

It's the Edmonton group, for me. But there will probably be more guys waived during the course of the year that would tip the scales the other way.

This reminds me of the "Leafs top 6 vs Flyers bottom 6" thread from a few years back. It was shockingly close, too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's really that great about Ho-Sang versus say Jurco?

Jurco scores far more goals at the AHL level and in his last NHL season Jurco had 6 goals in 29 games ... which pro-rates to a 17 goal NHL season. Ho-Sang has never come close to that in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

The reason Jurco is not an NHL regular is because the guy has had bad injury luck over the years.

The Oilers don't need another young player trying to make it.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If you restructure the top 6 as:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Chiasson-RNH-Neal

that paints a different picture. Draisaitl was a 50 goal/100 point player last year, Chiasson scored 20 last year, and Neal has hit 20 8 of his last 9 seasons. Kassian would be the only "weak" link, and he'd be the toughness on a line with 2 100 point players.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
If the Oilers don't make any moves in the near future then waiving Sam Gagner was a dumb decision that makes no sense

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Chiasson-RNH-Neal

that paints a different picture. Draisaitl was a 50 goal/100 point player last year, Chiasson scored 20 last year, and Neal has hit 20 8 of his last 9 seasons. Kassian would be the only "weak" link, and he'd be the toughness on a line with 2 100 point players.

Oh yeah, if you bump Draisaitl to the wing then the Oilers win this AINEC. But from what I see, it looks like the Oilers are starting with Draisaitl and RNH playing center.

Reactions: bh53 and ujju2

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Would have been nice if Benson, Yamamoto or Puljujarvi had developed into a top 6 winger by now. God our wings are trash. In 2012 all we had was a surplus of wingers and nothing else. This team is running in circles

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Hm. Waivers crew definetly seems like it would be more fun to watch if nothing else.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's really that great about Ho-Sang versus say Jurco?

Jurco scores far more goals at the AHL level and in his last NHL season Jurco had 6 goals in 29 games ... which pro-rates to a 17 goal NHL season. Ho-Sang has never come close to that in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

The reason Jurco is not an NHL regular is because the guy has had bad injury luck over the years.

The Oilers don't need another young player trying to make it.

Because Ho-Sang stickhandles well and is flashy. Ignore the fact he's basically a one-man show out there, and his stuff doesn't translate to production at the professional level. He's super awesome in the same way Robbie Schremp was -- until he wasn't.

Reactions: nturn06

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because Ho-Sang stickhandles well and is flashy. Ignore the fact he's basically a one-man show out there, and his stuff doesn't translate to production at the professional level. He's super awesome in the same way Robbie Schremp was -- until he wasn't.

Jurco has Youtube highlights too ... he just scores more goals and doesn't come with the attitude problems and is more mature being older.

There's that too. I don't think Ho-Sang makes the Oilers over Jurco or Nygard (this guy was sought after by several NHL teams).

Sprong, however, I think that's a player the Oilers should look at.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
dailystruggg.jpg

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I think any team should take a flyer on Ho-Sang but Dinosaurs gonna Dinosaur

For being a one man show he sure is good defensively and has a lot of assist and is a better skater to his somehow narrative lazy comparable Schremp

"Insert lazy media narrative not a team player"

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Whichever NHL PS2 game I played a lot, I think it was 04, I created an expansion team from my hometown, gave myself max stats, and surrounded myself with random Euros and free agents who were like 75 overall. Antti Aalto! Ryan Vandenbussche!

Haven't thought about it in years until I saw those lists.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Chiasson-RNH-Neal

Debate is up for Neal after failing to record 20 points last season... but ehhh.. Chiasson is not a top 6 player.

But yes with semi-decent wingers the Oilers would be a totally different team. With players like Draisatl and McDavid (+ rnh) its a travesty that the Oilers are still that bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->