Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Did Nuge fake something else, another pass, because Quick seemed to not even know it was a pass back to the point. he was still wondering what went on when the goal light was flashing. Man, Quick is done. he didn't even spot it was a shot from the point.

I think I mentioned last night how Quick might be the greatest bad goalie of all time. He's always been a goalie that alternates between Hasek like and then giving up Oilers era Dubnyk like back breakers. For the majority of his career he's been much more of the former and less of the latter. But now that the injuries and mileage really start to add up you can see how his game might start going south. Although to be fair this was only his 5th game of the season and his first game back from injury.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think I mentioned last night how Quick might be the greatest bad goalie of all time. He's always been a goalie that alternates between Hasek like and then giving up Oilers era Dubnyk like back breakers. For the majority of his career he's been much more of the former and less of the latter. But now that the injuries and mileage really start to add up you can see how his game might start going south. Although to be fair this was only his 5th game of the season and his first game back from injury.

He's had junk in his game for a few seasons now. Made a rebound last season but was still horrifically different from one game to the next. The way I see it he's been in the wars for too long. he doesn't have a relaxed goalie mindset. Things bother him and he's too much of a competitor to be on this kind of team. He's done though. For awhile his unique pad positioning was like baseball hitters trying to read a southpaw. He's more figured out now. Plus his play is so inconsistent.

Basically describes the Kings in total though. A done team resting on past accolades. Carter has 5 goals, lol, gets blown up by Khaira, Doughty gets blown up by Caggiulia. These guys are embarsssing shadows of who they were.

The interesting thing is Dustin Brown looking like his best last season and this. He's playing really well but not much help. he could've scored a hat trick again tonight.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Man, this Chiasson thing is kind of bizarre. Living a charmed life right now. Hopefully it keeps up but afairc his career high is 13 goals.

He's having some quick and confident hands right now. Scoring with authority and being in the right areas. Its strange how ducks can suddenly line up in a row.

I feel like this year's Chiasson is Pat Maroon from 2016-17.

Reactions: Porkleaker

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He didn't get an assist on the Chaisson goal, Draisaitl tipped it in as it was coming in.

But the litle spin pass was instrumental in both that goal and Klefbom's goal. I almost wonder if it is a set play because you're right. They are both identical passes. Kings defender follows him down and he does the little spin back hand to Klef who was ready to shoot it both times and because the Kings player chased Nuge along the boards the shooting lane is open.
It was, Klefa confirmed they worked on that play.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He didn't get an assist on the Chaisson goal, Draisaitl tipped it in as it was coming in.

But the litle spin pass was instrumental in both that goal and Klefbom's goal. I almost wonder if it is a set play because you're right. They are both identical passes. Kings defender follows him down and he does the little spin back hand to Klef who was ready to shoot it both times and because the Kings player chased Nuge along the boards the shooting lane is open.
It almost looked like the Kings player read the Klefbom goal a little bit better in terms of stick positioning. On the Chiasson goal the defender that followed Nuge had his stick in Nuge's shooting lane, and on the Klefbom goal he had it in the passing lane back to the point.

It will be up to Nuge to read that better as teams start to pick up on it and either utilize a quick wrister, shot pass, or back door pass when they cheat on the back pass.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like this year's Chiasson is Pat Maroon from 2016-17.
I have said this before, but I think you're going to see a lot of "16-17 Maroon" and "18-19 Chiasson's" on this team for the foreseeable future. That's what happens when you have the best player in the world and another star centre/winger in Draisaitl. Now, if they can ever complete a trio like Colorado has found where McDavid and Drai get another top line quality winger you will see that line absolutely explode. To me Nuge is proving he has found another level to his game these past two seasons so you can trust him running the 2nd line. That means if they can find or develop that true top line winger that shows chemistry with McDrai they will likely have found the best line in the NHL. Could Puljujarvi or Yamamoto be that? Maybe. Personally I'm really liking Puljujarvi with Nuge right now because they both have good active sticks, and when Jesse's on his game they create a ton of turnovers on the forecheck.

The one line I really wanted to see at some point is Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi. The speed and active sticks on that line would be a nightmare for teams when trying to retrieve and break pucks out.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As much as Kassian has been disappointing at times since he signed his contract, and the amount of stupid penalties he takes ... i do think he brings the group together and gets them to relax a bit. He was awesome in 16/17. Hes been much better lately. Needs to catch a break.

Hitch has been able to maximize Kassian so far. He looks like a more inspired player.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hitch has been able to maximize Kassian so far. He looks like a more inspired player.

To be fair, he was inspired well before Hitch took over right around the last Chicago game when the trade rumors were swirling.

I know "The Identity Line" is playing well and Hitchcock is getting credit for putting it together but that line with Khaira was playing just as well before Hitchcock arrived. Considering role, its been the most consistent line for the Oilers and they, quite frankly, deserve a much better fate on the score sheet.

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be fair, he was inspired well before Hitch took over right around the last Chicago game when the trade rumors were swirling.

I know "The Identity Line" is playing well and Hitchcock is getting credit for putting it together but that line with Khaira was playing just as well before Hitchcock arrived. Considering role, its been the most consistent line for the Oilers and they, quite frankly, deserve a much better fate on the score sheet.

Thats true...he did pick things up a bit once the trade rumors started.
The difference now is that his minutes are up considerably and he is playing smarter and more consistently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The moment Kassian started playing well was the requested trade rumor thing. It was a strange saga. The difficulty I have is Kass quite clearly laid down last season and to start this season. how to even trust players like this that take complete seasons off?

Can't agree to much with Khaira. Many games where he was not bringing enough. He just can't be having these kinds of stretches. Not a luxury for him as he's imminently replaceable in any NHL lineup. Poster boy for Bubble player.

How many games before the club just gives up on Spooner? Seems like its a blessing for him that coaching change occurred when it did. Neither coach, apparently, got enough of a look at this do nothing player.

Its incredible really that Rattie gets scratched and Spooner is a topsix constant here.

After initially liking Hitch I'm starting to get fed up with his own player bias.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The moment Kassian started playing well was the requested trade rumor thing. It was a strange saga. The difficulty I have is Kass quite clearly laid down last season and to start this season. how to even trust players like this that take complete seasons off?

Can't agree to much with Khaira. Many games where he was not bringing enough. He just can't be having these kinds of stretches. Not a luxury for him as he's imminently replaceable in any NHL lineup. Poster boy for Bubble player.

How many games before the club just gives up on Spooner? Seems like its a blessing for him that coaching change occurred when it did. Neither coach, apparently, got enough of a look at this do nothing player.

Its incredible really that Rattie gets scratched and Spooner is a topsix constant here.

After initially liking Hitch I'm starting to get fed up with his own player bias.
:laugh:
Well, that was quick, and with a 3-1-1 record.

BURN HIM!!!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He had two assists. Not sure where you get 3. They were not astounding plays either. One was a simply 10ft pass in transition in NZ, the other was a simple pass back to the point.

Meanwhile he looked weak in passing zone coverage on every Kings goal and was on ice for all 3 cough, 2GA.

Overall it was a mixed night by Nuge. Looks good on stat sheet I guess.

Interesting the way you critique Nuge in a game like he had and the way you’d critique Drai for a very similar performance.

I bet if jerseys were switched that you’d be singing a different tune.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Why do I feel dirty after watching that game? Man I hate that kings team. Just disgusting. I hope they stay in the basement for a long time.

Koskinen didn't have the greatest game but was big when he needed to be, and that's all I can ask. Another big goal for Klefbom. Nuge with 2 points. Let's keep these wins rolling.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting the way you critique Nuge in a game like he had and the way you’d critique Drai for a very similar performance.

I bet if jerseys were switched that you’d be singing a different tune.
I bet if the jerseys were switched.

You see that draisaitl pass on both of those goals? Insane vision this guy has to put no look passes right onto klefboms stick.

Reactions: nabob and RegDunlop

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I was a bit worried about hiring a 67 year old head coach... but after watching a few interviews with him he is definitely still “all there”.

I mean.. except he seems way too happy to be coaching the oilers. :sarcasm:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
A quick comment: Quick is a weasel nearly on the level of Mike Smith. Skating down Khaira after the whistle, skating down Caggiula after his hit on Doughty (during the play, no less--I can't remember the last time I saw a goalie motion to leave his net to puff his chest at another player while the game was still in play), staring down Lucic, . . . .

As a goalie, I find this behavior shameful. Quick's got nothing going; what does he think he's going to do, other than force his players to fight for him. It's analogous to the little playground punk who picks fights with other kids knowing that his buddies will have to step in to fight for him. What a tough guy, Quick is. Straight grease.

Glad someone else noticed this.
He looked like a fool

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
yeah, I don't like Quick or the Kings. As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with the Flames beating them tonight and sinking them deeper in the sewer.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
yeah, I don't like Quick or the Kings. As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with the Flames beating them tonight and sinking them deeper in the sewer.
Calgary is kind of running away with the pacific imo, LA is closer competition for us right now.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was a bit worried about hiring a 67 year old head coach... but after watching a few interviews with him he is definitely still “all there”.

I mean.. except he seems way too happy to be coaching the oilers. :sarcasm:

What I like about Hitch right now is you can tell he doesn't give a f*** if he's here past this season. He's here for a good time, not a long time. He's actually coaching for the long term benefit of the club and not to save his ass in the short term. That's what did TM in. He knew his job was on the line so he rode on the guys he thought he could trust and the majority of them failed him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have said this before, but I think you're going to see a lot of "16-17 Maroon" and "18-19 Chiasson's" on this team for the foreseeable future. That's what happens when you have the best player in the world and another star centre/winger in Draisaitl. Now, if they can ever complete a trio like Colorado has found where McDavid and Drai get another top line quality winger you will see that line absolutely explode. To me Nuge is proving he has found another level to his game these past two seasons so you can trust him running the 2nd line. That means if they can find or develop that true top line winger that shows chemistry with McDrai they will likely have found the best line in the NHL. Could Puljujarvi or Yamamoto be that? Maybe. Personally I'm really liking Puljujarvi with Nuge right now because they both have good active sticks, and when Jesse's on his game they create a ton of turnovers on the forecheck.

The one line I really wanted to see at some point is Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi. The speed and active sticks on that line would be a nightmare for teams when trying to retrieve and break pucks out.

Would love them to make a move for Nylander. Not sure how they could make that work though. Would cost us a 1st for starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad