Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 2

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Oiler's record looks eerily similar to 16-17. Lets hope the trend continues.
upload_2018-11-30_9-47-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-30_9-46-9.png
    upload_2018-11-30_9-46-9.png
    707.5 KB · Views: 4

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Hitchock is on record saying it would take 8-9 games to implement his systems so I'd imagine it would be the same amount of time for getting a feel for the players

cool. ty.
I'll be patient until after 10 games to really see what hitch can do with the players the oilers have.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How does Nuge not get first star? He has three assists in a 3-2 win.

He had two assists. Not sure where you get 3. They were not astounding plays either. One was a simply 10ft pass in transition in NZ, the other was a simple pass back to the point.

Meanwhile he looked weak in passing zone coverage on every Kings goal and was on ice for all 3 cough, 2GA.

Overall it was a mixed night by Nuge. Looks good on stat sheet I guess.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No that's all skill for sure! I just love how after wins there are still guys that come here to post how shaky and lucky Koskinen is.

Let in 3 suspect goals (1 called back) and had some luck on two other plays. On one of Browns breakaways he was able to get the puck 5 hole it barely hit one pad just pushing it wide.

Lets not forget how bad he looked on the dump in. Carter ought to have punished that one, and any other season he does.

What I saw tonight was what Koski looks like if he has even a modicum of work. Starts to look slower, have less focus. Lose tracking on some shots. These were 3 bad goals and LA only scores 2 a game.

It was an ordinary game by Koski considering all the goals that got by him were pretty routine plays.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You mean thank you Jari Kurri. He is the one that told Oilers brass during the best team celebration last year to go and watch Koski
If this is true its further indication of what a gongshow this org is. We have pro scouts who apparently have a job (and maybe are no good) and in the name of team nepotism we're taking a flyer and contract on a goalie on the recommendation of a player that was last here in 1990. I mean on the surface a good story, but a troubling one too. If this has any legs it substantiates how random the decision tree is with this org.
Oh, and maybe Furhsy recommended a Good D. Anderson recommended a good bar, and Barry Fraser fell into one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A quick comment: Quick is a weasel nearly on the level of Mike Smith. Skating down Khaira after the whistle, skating down Caggiula after his hit on Doughty (during the play, no less--I can't remember the last time I saw a goalie motion to leave his net to puff his chest at another player while the game was still in play), staring down Lucic, . . . .

As a goalie, I find this behavior shameful. Quick's got nothing going; what does he think he's going to do, other than force his players to fight for him. It's analogous to the little playground punk who picks fights with other kids knowing that his buddies will have to step in to fight for him. What a tough guy, Quick is. Straight grease.

Yeah, Quick has been a clownshow for years. Countless times he's trying to milk a call when the game is still going on. He's now a liability and a futile save %. He's done. He's antics now. The Kings are basically screwed with him now and he's not going anywhere.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If this is true its further indication of what a gongshow this org is. We have pro scouts who apparently have a job (and maybe are no good) and in the name of team nepotism we're taking a flyer and contract on a goalie on the recommendation of a player that was last here in 1990. I mean on the surface a good story, but a troubling one too. If this has any legs it substantiates how random the decision tree is with this org.
Oh, and maybe Furhsy recommended a Good D. Anderson recommended a good bar, and Barry Fraser fell into one.
To be fair to Kurri, he's was the GM of the Finnish national team until a few years ago and still fairly much involved in Finnish hockey. So he'd definitely be a good source on Finn players in Europe.

Edit: and right now (since 3-4 years) GM for Jokerit which plays in KHL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be fair to Kurri, he's was the GM of the Finnish national team until a few years ago and still fairly much involved in Finnish hockey. So he'd definitely be a good source on Finn players in Europe.

Its not a comment on Kurri, specifically, its a comment on the Old boys club that still has apparent input into the running of this club in 2018. Its dynamic based. Just because something in the moment seems to be working out doesn't mean its not problematic. If this org does still defer to its ex players and they have this type of decisive input its troublesome.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Its not a comment on Kurri, specifically, its a comment on the Old boys club that still has apparent input into the running of this club in 2018. Its dynamic based. Just because something in the moment seems to be working out doesn't mean its not problematic. If this org does still defer to its ex players and they have this type of decisive input its troublesome.
No no, I agree on the premise.

Just that in this case I think Kurri is an excellent source on 1) Finn players through his involvement in the national team and 2) KHL players since he is GM for a KHL team since 3-4 years.

I think they should probably be let off the hook on this one. Not that it excuses all the other OBT nepotism behaviour but still.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No no, I agree on the premise.

Just that in this case I think Kurri is an excellent source on 1) Finn players through his involvement in the national team and 2) KHL players since he is GM for a KHL team since 3-4 years.

I think they should probably be let off the hook on this one. Not that it excuses all the other OBT nepotism behaviour but still.

Evaluation of nepotism probably shouldn't be on a "well it worked this time" adhoc basis. ;)

I dunno. If its a different org maybe I don't see it as a concern, but its this one where nepotism has been a huge issue.

LPDustin

Mar 19, 2008
Victoria, BC
I thought Lucic was OK last night. :dunno: Are we really going to keep on singling players out based on body language and mind reading? On the night of a big win no less? Talk about beating the ultimate dead horse.

Maybe we need to ask the mods to make a special thread in which to confine the Lucic complainers. I mean theres precedent for that now.
Its unreal how many chances he is able to get without scoring. I like how Hitchcock is deploying him now (with the exception of the last minute against the Sharks).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kostco taps his post everytime the opposition enter the zone.

The thing is I hear that sound when the Oilers are entering the O Zone. It almost seemed like I heard it when the puck crosses the opposition blue line.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He had two assists. Not sure where you get 3. They were not astounding plays either. One was a simply 10ft pass in transition in NZ, the other was a simple pass back to the point.

Meanwhile he looked weak in passing zone coverage on every Kings goal and was on ice for all 3 cough, 2GA.

So when nuge has an okay night, you say mixed, when Drai has a bad night you blame his line mates?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought Lucic was OK last night. :dunno: Are we really going to keep on singling players out based on body language and mind reading? On the night of a big win no less? Talk about beating the ultimate dead horse.

Maybe we need to ask the mods to make a special thread in which to confine the Lucic complainers. I mean theres precedent for that now.

Really strange thread I'm reading this morning. Sophomoric attack on players because they don't smile right? I'm not even seeing what people are referring to as I don't see Lucic in any of the pictures. Must have been a strange GDT for people to be discussing crap like this.

As for a big W. Not really seeing that. LA is last place and on a scoring chance basis probably deserved to win. Oilers didn't play particularly well, gave up 3 breakaways, managed to get a Kings goal called back. Seemed like we needed some luck to beat what is a bad team this season and with Jonathon lol Quick in net. Quick has been bad for years now. He played somewhat better last season but he's struggled since the cup years.

A gauge will be how we do against LV.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This was his reaction to the goal:

giphy.gif

Let's not crap on the guy for having resting ***** face.

As much as Kassian has been disappointing at times since he signed his contract, and the amount of stupid penalties he takes ... i do think he brings the group together and gets them to relax a bit. He was awesome in 16/17. Hes been much better lately. Needs to catch a break.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I got three because Kevin Quinn mentioned he had two points after the Chiasson goal. Considering his line generated the first goal, I assumed he had the second assist.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just watched the highlights. Both of nuge's assist were exactly the same. I love it, nifty little pass to set up the one timer
He didn't get an assist on the Chaisson goal, Draisaitl tipped it in as it was coming in.

But the litle spin pass was instrumental in both that goal and Klefbom's goal. I almost wonder if it is a set play because you're right. They are both identical passes. Kings defender follows him down and he does the little spin back hand to Klef who was ready to shoot it both times and because the Kings player chased Nuge along the boards the shooting lane is open.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I got three because Kevin Quinn mentioned he had two points after the Chiasson goal. Considering his line generated the first goal, I assumed he had the second assist.

I went by Kevin Quinns information once and it proved to be a bad idea..;)

Drai tipped the point shot in, and Chiasson pounced on the rebound.

I think the NHL might have had it wrong for a minute but the correction was quickly made on stats.

Man, this Chiasson thing is kind of bizarre. Living a charmed life right now. Hopefully it keeps up but afairc his career high is 13 goals.

He's having some quick and confident hands right now. Scoring with authority and being in the right areas. Its strange how ducks can suddenly line up in a row.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He didn't get an assist on the Chaisson goal, Draisaitl tipped it in as it was coming in.

But the litle spin pass was instrumental in both that goal and Klefbom's goal. I almost wonder if it is a set play because you're right. They are both identical passes. Kings defender follows him down and he does the little spin back hand to Klef who was ready to shoot it both times.

Did Nuge fake something else, another pass, because Quick seemed to not even know it was a pass back to the point. he was still wondering what went on when the goal light was flashing. Man, Quick is done. he didn't even spot it was a shot from the point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was originally credited with an assist on the Chiasson goal. Drai got added as the primary assist later on in the game so Nuge was dropped off the goal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He got 3rd assist on the 2nd goal due to draisaitl deflecting the shot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was originally credited with an assist on the Chiasson goal. Drai got added as the primary assist later on in the game so Nuge was dropped off the goal.

Actually it took just minutes for the NHL to get the right boxscore. Was corrected by the end of the period when I checked.

Snet is really bad btw for letting us know who got the assists. The graphic they put up is very quick, sometimes have to rewind just to see the boxscore and they no longer announce assists in telecast. nor do they announce corrections. Just another area in which their coverage sucks.

WTF with one period starting in whiteout? I think it was 2nd period start where they had the contrast or brightness way off and you couldn't see hardly anything. Like some cameraman just got back from the shitter and somebody messed with the camera. So professional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad