Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Blues 2 - Cloned’s title aws better

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's a reasonable answer. But how do you judge that? Hitch is giving him crazy amounts of ice time and he's probably dead tired. Or he's caught the McFlu. Not making excuses, but a player isn't going to go full out for 82 games a year. So yes, there's going to be stretches where he looks lazy or tired due to fatigue, illness, injury or a combination thereof.

Makes excuses...then claims he isn’t making excuses.

You’re right you can’t expect him to play like he did against the Flames every game. But he’s played maybe a handful of games this season with that kind of effort. If frustrating to see what a player is a capable of and him only striving to reach that level every fifth game.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Good weekend for the Oilers coming up.
Catch minny on a 2nd half of a back to back.
Then get Cgy on Sunday same thing where they play a late one Sat. Against a tough opponent.
Cgy playing Smith tonight...which means Rittich gets the call sat.
More than likely we get Smith Sunday.
It will also be calgary's 3rd in 4 days.
This weekend should work in our favour

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Then get Cgy on Sunday same thing where they play a late one Sat. Against a tough opponent.
Agreed. We could come out of this weekend 16-12-2. Pretty solid record all things considered. Would also make us 7-2-1 in the Hitchcock era.

I'm really interested in that Calgary game. I think Hitch's system works to our advantage. They really like to play a wide open style, so if we can choke them out and capitalize on their mistakes we'll have it made.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Agreed. We could come out of this weekend 16-12-2. Pretty solid record all things considered. Would also make us 7-2-1 in the Hitchcock era.

I'm really interested in that Calgary game. I think Hitch's system works to our advantage. They really like to play a wide open style, so if we can choke them out and capitalize on their mistakes we'll have it made.

The Oilers need to win both games by a comfortable margin. Playing and mostly winning “next goal” wins games have got to wear on the nerves of JP types and the Dman, because they know a screwup is a goal And most likely a loss.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Makes excuses...then claims he isn’t making excuses.

You’re right you can’t expect him to play like he did against the Flames every game. But he’s played maybe a handful of games this season with that kind of effort. If frustrating to see what a player is a capable of and him only striving to reach that level every fifth game.

Where did I make an excuse? Those are legitimate reasons for what you consider his "underperformance." You must watch the guy with a microscope and find fault with the smallest things or completely overlook obstacles he may be facing (illness, injury, no depth) and write them off as "lazy." But I suppose we'll continue to agree to disagree. What you see as lazy, I may see as something else holding him back. It's too bad we'll never know the true story.

Also, I'd say that he's played like an absolute beast, his maximum effort level, maybe 50% percent of the games, not 20%. But I too would like to see him "bring it" more often, just not sure if, for whatever reason, including the wear-and-tear of an 82-game schedule, that will ever happen.

I can agree with you on the fact that I'd like to see him do some different things, like maybe shoot more instead of continually passing or drive to the net harder. With his size, I'd love to see him just bowl some guys over on the way to the net.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not everything is about me. You made an insincere comment in one post, and then minutes later allude insincerity regarding another poster, in same thread, in contiguous posts. No biggy, I just thought it was a bit humorous.

I'm not the only one that called your comment on Drai out as unreasonable.

Trust me, I sincerely believe Drai is a boat anchor quite often.

Reactions: McBeastMode

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Trust me, I sincerely believe Drai is a boat anchor quite often.

If Draisaitl is a boat anchor, then what do you call the rest of the team outside of McDavid?

You're either trolling or you're a Leafs fan, I can't figure out which. I'd say the latter considering "AM" can stand for Auston Matthews.

Reactions: fuswald

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
This team almost always crumbles when the odds are stacked in our favour. :help:

Reactions: McClelland

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I remember last year when we were actually in a decent playoff position right at Christmas. After that, the wheels fell completely off.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Oilers fans have the team they deserve.

Getting points and "personal excellence" is over rated in my opinion. Team skills are much more relevant.

Currently Draisaitl plus minus is -1. Youd think Oiler fans would be unhappy with that. Our $9M dollar player is being outplayed at evens, while hes playig with Conner McDavid.

Am I crazy here?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The Oilers need to win both games by a comfortable margin. Playing and mostly winning “next goal” wins games have got to wear on the nerves of JP types and the Dman, because they know a screwup is a goal And most likely a loss.
Including overtime and shootouts, we are 10-2-1 in "one goal" games. 4-1 in regulation and 6-2 in extra time. So I wouldn't agree. Usually when the score is lopsided, we are on the losing end of it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

2 losses coming right up, way to jinx it!

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Getting points and "personal excellence" is over rated in my opinion. Team skills are much more relevant.

Currently Draisaitl plus minus is -1. Youd think Oiler fans would be unhappy with that. Our $9M dollar player is being outplayed at evens, while hes playig with Conner McDavid.

Am I crazy here?

Not crazy but definitely a limited perspective on the situation.

We've now gone from emphasizing fancy stats to plus-minus as the be-all end-all.

Do you know that there are only a few "plus" Oilers, including McDavid, Chiasson, Russell, and Rattie? Even the HFOil Golden Boy is 0. Is plus-minus really a definitive stat for a forward? All that it indicates is he's on a losing team. And we all know who to blame for that, but I won't go there as another thread is devoted solely to that purpose.

It seems like there's a contingent of people have some inherent hate for Draisaitl and he'll never be good enough in their eyes.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Draisaitl: 28:48 TOI
McDavid: 28:01 TOI
Nugent-Hopkins: 26:38 TOI

Klefbom with 30:42 TOI!

Too many minutes for all of those guys :/

These guys are professional athletes, 30 minutes of very hard work,"Lucic excluded" every couple of days....
Try working on a drilling rig, as many posters here, have probably done in the past..
You bust your ass, for twelve hours a day, weeks on end..

My dream job..

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Am I crazy here?

Using plus/minus as a reason for us to be unhappy? Yes.

When he's -1. Yes x 2.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->