Prospect Info: Oilers 2017-18 Draft Rankings

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Different from the draft thread, just make a mock draft of this years 1st round FOR THE OILERS. Some people think the Oilers should just draft BPA, but I also took into account positions and NHL-Readyness. I also included some information and NHL comparisons:

1: Rasmus Dahlin (Incredible player. So electrifying. Consensus No.1 Overall. Player Comparison: Victor Hedman)

2: Andrei Svechnikov (Future 40-40 winger who plays a solid 2 way game. Player Comparison: Marian Hossa)

3: Filip Zadina (Solid top-line winger good for 30 goals and 70 points a year. Player Comparison: Vladmir Tarasenko)

4: Adam Boqvist (I have my doubts, but the upside is incredible. RHD that the Oilers are desperate for. Player Comparison: John Klingberg.)

5: Evan Bouchard (Really high on him. He's actually the guy I'm hoping the Oilers to draft. #1-2 D and can work magic on the PP. Player Comparison: Dougie Hamilton)

6: Quinton Hughes (One of the most intriguing players in the draft. Skates beautifully and can rush the puck and create offence as well as anyone. Downsides are his size and, to an extent, his shot. Would have him higher, but the Oilers want to win now, and Hughes will probably need at least 2 years until he makes it to the bigs. Player Comparison: This is tough, but I'd say Ryan Ellis.

7: Oliver Wahlstrom (I absolutely love him as a player, but the Oilers are desperate for a PMD. Probably has the best shot out of anyone in the draft, especially his quick snapshot. Player Comparison: Brock Boeser.

8: Brady Tkachuk (I'm not as high on him as most. I think he's getting slightly overrated because of his brother's (and father's) success. Nevertheless, I have no doubts he'll be a solid top 6 winger. Player Comparison: Corey Perry?

9: Noah Dobson (Another player I'm not too high on. Has almost no weaknesses, but I question his upside at the NHL level. I still think he'll be a solid 2nd pairing D. Player Comparison: Chris Tanev.

10: Ty Smith (A similar player to Dobson, but smaller. Player Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

11. Joel Farabee
12. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
13. Joe Veleno
14. Dominik Bokk
15. Vitali Kravtsov
16. Barrett Hayton
17. Ryan Merkley
18. Isac Lundestrom
19. Calen Addison
20. Akil Thomas
21. Rasmus Kupari
22. Bode Wilde
23. Rasmus Sandin
24. Mattias Samuelsson
25. Jared McIsaac
26. Nils Lundkvist
27. Jett Woo
28. K'Andre Miller
29. Jack McBain
30. Martin Kaut
31. Ryan McLeod

I'll admit that I haven't watched many of these players outside of my top 10.​

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Different from the draft thread, just make a mock draft of this years 1st round FOR THE OILERS. Some people think the Oilers should just draft BPA, but I also took into account positions and NHL-Readyness. I also included some information and NHL comparisons:

1: Rasmus Dahlin (Incredible player. So electrifying. Consensus No.1 Overall. Player Comparison: Victor Hedman)

2: Andrei Svechnikov (Future 40-40 winger who plays a solid 2 way game. Player Comparison: Marian Hossa)

3: Filip Zadina (Solid top-line winger good for 30 goals and 70 points a year. Player Comparison: Vladmir Tarasenko)

4: Adam Boqvist (I have my doubts, but the upside is incredible. RHD that the Oilers are desperate for. Player Comparison: John Klingberg.)

5: Evan Bouchard (Really high on him. He's actually the guy I'm hoping the Oilers to draft. #1-2 D and can work magic on the PP. Player Comparison: Dougie Hamilton)

6: Quinton Hughes (One of the most intriguing players in the draft. Skates beautifully and can rush the puck and create offence as well as anyone. Downsides are his size and, to an extent, his shot. Would have him higher, but the Oilers want to win now, and Hughes will probably need at least 2 years until he makes it to the bigs. Player Comparison: This is tough, but I'd say Ryan Ellis.

7: Oliver Wahlstrom (I absolutely love him as a player, but the Oilers are desperate for a PMD. Probably has the best shot out of anyone in the draft, especially his quick snapshot. Player Comparison: Brock Boeser.

8: Brady Tkachuk (I'm not as high on him as most. I think he's getting slightly overrated because of his brother's (and father's) success. Nevertheless, I have no doubts he'll be a solid top 6 winger. Player Comparison: Corey Perry?

9: Noah Dobson (Another player I'm not too high on. Has almost no weaknesses, but I question his upside at the NHL level. I still think he'll be a solid 2nd pairing D. Player Comparison: Chris Tanev.

10: Ty Smith (A similar player to Dobson, but smaller. Player Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

11. Joel Farabee
12. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
13. Joe Veleno
14. Dominik Bokk
15. Vitali Kravtsov
16. Barrett Hayton
17. Ryan Merkley
18. Isac Lundestrom
19. Calen Addison
20. Akil Thomas
21. Rasmus Kupari
22. Bode Wilde