Oilers 2014-2015 Advanced Stats

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So I was looking on NHL.com in their advanced stats section and noticed some interesting things that I thought I'd share:

SAT = Shot Attempts 5 on 5 (Goals + Shots + Missed Shots + Team Blocked Shots) - (Goals Against + Shots Against + Missed Shots Against + Opponent Shots Blocked) when player is on the ice.

1. Draisaitl 35
2. Perron 31
3. Eberle 19
4. Pouliot 17
5. Schultz 16
6. Arcobello 8
7. Hall 8
8. Nurse 7
9. Yakimov 3
10. Pitlick -1

SAT Rel% = 5 on 5 shots attempts for player relative to shot attempts for team when player is not on the ice.

1. Yakimov 8.7
2. Klefbom 4.5
3. Oesterle 4.2
4. Pitlick 4.0
5. Nurse 3.9
6. Schultz 3.7
7. Eberle 3.5
8. Hall 3.4
9. Pouliot 3.2
10. Draisaitl 2.8

SAT Rel60 = 5 on 5 shot attempts for player relative to shot attempts for team when player is not on the ice per 60 minutes.

1. Yakimov 11.9
2. Nurse 9.4
3. Klefbom 7.8
4. Oesterle 7.3
5. Eberle 5.7
6. Pitlick 5.7
7. Schultz 5.5
8. Hall 5.5
9. Pouliot 5.1
10. RNH 4.8
*Draisaitl came in 11th with 4.5

USAT = Unblocked Shot Attempts 5 on 5: (Goals+Shots+Missed Shots)-(Goals Against+Shots Against+Missed Shots Against) when player is on the ice.

1. Draisaitl 38
2. Schultz 16
3. Klefbom 14
4. Pitlick 11
5. Perron 7
6. Nurse 2
7. Acton 2
8. Yakimov 0
9. Oesterle 0
10. Miller -4

USAT Rel% = 5 on 5 Shot attempts for player relative to Shot attempts for team when player is no on the ice.

1. Pitlick 7.3
2. Klefbom 5.5
3. Draisaitl 5.2
4. Oesterle 5.1
5. Schultz 4.6
6. Nurse 2.8
7. Lander 2.4
8. Perron 2.2
9. Acton 2.1
10. Purcell 1.7

USAT Rel60 = 5 on 5 Shot Attempts for player relative to Shot Attempts for team when player is not on the ice per 60 minutes.

1. Pitlick 8.1
2. Draisaitl 6.8
3. Klefbom 6.6
4. Oesterle 6.0
5. Schultz 5.5
6. Nurse 3.5
7. Lander 3.2
8. Perron 2.7
9. Acton 2.7
10. Davidson 2.4

Now i'm not sure if these stats are accurate indicators of the performance of these players but what stood out to me is how well Nurse, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Pitlick, and Schultz did. Another interesting tidbit is that Sekera came in 1st in SAT Rel% and SAT Rel60 on LA, as well as 3rd in USAT Rel% and 5th in USAT Rel60 which indicates to me that he will be far and away the #1 Defenseman on the Oilers. Fayne did terribly in most of these stats so I'm not sure if he could handle top pairing minutes. I'd be tempted to pair Nurse with Sekera as he would benefit from learning from the best defenseman on the team instead of a guy like Ference. Plus, people are forgetting how well Nurse did in the playoffs going head to head with McDavid. If you can handle a generational player then you can handle top pairing minutes in the NHL. As for the forwards, I think Draisaitl will make the team as the 3rd line LW and Pitlick has a good shot to be 4th line RW. Something like this:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Purcell
Draisaitl/Lander/Yakupov
Hendricks/Letestu/Pitlick

Sekera/Nurse
Klefbom/Schultz
Ference/Fayne
Nikitin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting read, thanks. I've said for awhile that Draisaitl's 'struggles' were way overblown. Playing with slugs like Hamilton didn't help much either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting post. I always appreciate the extra work involved in parsing advanced stats.

I think with Fayne (if you look at his NJ stats) you will find that he played tough minutes quite successfully. I would suggest it was his D partners that failed him last season.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Interesting read, thanks. I've said for awhile that Draisaitl's 'struggles' were way overblown. Playing with slugs like Hamilton didn't help much either.

Yeah that is true. Plus you have to factor in the Eakins effect :laugh:
I assume that he would have been much improved under Todd Nelson.

Interesting post. I always appreciate the extra work involved in parsing advanced stats.

I think with Fayne (if you look at his NJ stats) you will find that he played tough minutes quite successfully. I would suggest it was his D partners that failed him last season.

That's a good point as Fayne was pretty solid in NJ and didn't have much to work with here in Edmonton. We will have to see how he does if McLellan decides to pair him with Sekera in preseason

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

That, and the strange lack of faith the coaching staff had in him.

Fun fact: Fayne didn't play over 20 minutes in a game until November 22nd, and only 13 or 14 times last year.

Although, looking back at his usage in Jersey, it's very similar.

I'm really starting to wonder if he's the right partner for Sekera.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah that is true. Plus you have to factor in the Eakins effect :laugh:
I assume that he would have been much improved under Todd Nelson.

That's a good point as Fayne was pretty solid in NJ and didn't have much to work with here in Edmonton. We will have to see how he does if McLellan decides to pair him with Sekera in preseason

Thats the pairing I am hoping will get the tough minutes. I think Fayne is up to the task and I am a big fan of Sekera. Quality dman who will really help this team.

That, and the strange lack of faith the coaching staff had in him.

Fun fact: Fayne didn't play over 20 minutes in a game until November 22nd, and only 13 or 14 times last year.

Although, looking back at his usage in Jersey, it's very similar.

I'm really starting to wonder if he's the right partner for Sekera.

It was almost like Eakins decided to give some of Faynes minutes to Schultz.

I never understood that but then again there were a lot of things I didnt understand about how Eakins ran the bench.

Fayne may not have had big minutes in Jersey but what he did have was the toughest minutes on the team. I just think that Jersey had the balance in their D pairings to distribute the minutes in a more equatable manner.

I agree that it is a risk to expect Fayne to play 2-3 more minutes a game but IMO its the best possible risk this team can take to try and stabilize the defence.

As the defence stands right now the other options are not particularly appealing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He had low point totals cause his linemates couldn't for the life of them finish any of his glory passes. The amount of times I would witness Draisaitl make a great pass then have the person either whiff on the open net or be flabbergasted that the puck was on their stick and forgot what hockey was. I look back to the pre season when he was playing with Pouliot and Perron and they were looking very scary.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thats the pairing I am hoping will get the tough minutes. I think Fayne is up to the task and I am a big fan of Sekera. Quality dman who will really help this team.

It was almost like Eakins decided to give some of Faynes minutes to Schultz.

I never understood that but then again there were a lot of things I didnt understand about how Eakins ran the bench.

Fayne may not have had big minutes in Jersey but what he did have was the toughest minutes on the team. I just think that Jersey had the balance in their D pairings to distribute the minutes in a more equatable manner.

I agree that it is a risk to expect Fayne to play 2-3 more minutes a game but IMO its the best possible risk this team can take to try and stabilize the defence.

As the defence stands right now the other options are not particularly appealing.
Looking at how McLellan balances his d, he usually puts a strong defensive d with a offensive one to balance the pairing.

I feel like going with

Sekera - Schultz
Klefbom - Fayne

Would be beneficial to both Klefbom and Schultz as they both have a guy that has their back as they try and jump in offensively.

Putting Sekera with Schultz is our best shot at getting Schultz going.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Looking at how McLellan balances his d, he usually puts a strong defensive d with a offensive one to balance the pairing.

I feel like going with

Sekera - Schultz
Klefbom - Fayne

Would be beneficial to both Klefbom and Schultz as they both have a guy that has their back as they try and jump in offensively.

Putting Sekera with Schultz is our best shot at getting Schultz going.

Oh my...I dont think Sekera is near good enough to help carry a defensive liability like Schultz against the other teams best players.

Thats an assignment for a Pronger equivalent. :laugh:

Seriously...that pairing could be a major disaster in the making.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think Sekera - Fayne is pretty much penciled in to start the year

Only on paper pairing that has a hope in hell of not getting slaughtered against tough competition, and as a nice bonus they push everyone else down the lineup some.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Not really getting these stats, a lot of very few games played in there and some outliers. Maybe I am misinterpreting what I am seeing?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oh my...I dont think Sekera is near good enough to help carry a defensive liability like Schultz against the other teams best players.

Thats an assignment for a Pronger equivalent. :laugh:

Seriously...that pairing could be a major disaster in the making.
Schultz as bad as he has been has been the best player on every pairing he has been on other then Klefbom. He has yet been able to play with a good mentor or even a good experienced player yet. We might have to go with 2 solid pairings rather then the traditional top and second pairing

It all depends on how they play in camp.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Schultz as bad as he has been has been the best player on every pairing he has been on other then Klefbom. He has yet been able to play with a good mentor or even a good experienced player yet. We might have to go with 2 solid pairings rather then the traditional top and second pairing

It all depends on how they play in camp.

What other pairings has Schultz been the best dman on?

Just wondering if I missed something.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Not really getting these stats, a lot of very few games played in there and some outliers. Maybe I am misinterpreting what I am seeing?

I question who actually views and records the stats in the first place and how accurately they're able to assess and put the information together. Seems ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad