Value of: Oilers 1st 2021, 1st 2022, and 2nd 2022

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Neal 50% retained + 2021 1st + Jones for Hall 50% retained
Should fit under the cap and saves a buy out . Only cost Buffalo 2.875 million a year for Neal . Also if Neal returns to last years form and can pot 15 to 20 goals it’s good value for a rebuilding team .

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
To have civil conversations, it would be more beneficial to offer a counter proposal, or suggest a prospect to add. Posts like this do nothing but cause issues.

A late first is still a first. Teams with early firsts aren't going to trade them to you.

This draft is extremely weak with what the scouts have been able to watch from the players. Also with the pandemic it’s extremely difficult to evaluate the talent in this draft as well to its full potential. If I was Anaheim I would be looking for 2022 first round picks not 2021.

And I don’t think Anaheim fans would be willing to give up their best goaltender in decades on a very good long term deal for a late first in a crap shoot of a draft. And yes Gibson is better than Andersen as they got rid of em to Toronto. And Gibson is a lot better than Giguere was. So the decade comment I made is justified.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
What kind of a 3C are you looking for? An elite 3C like Backlund or a low event guy like Ryan? My guess is Backlund doesn't fit into the Oilers cap structure unless RNH leaves in the off-season. Ryan is a band-aid. I'd be looking for a 4th round pick for him or I'd send you a 4th with Ryan for Carter Savoie.

Derek Ryan cleared waivers this season. A 4th is more than he's worth

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ryan Strome and Alex Georgiev as starting point?
Strome has found his game, has unfinished business w EO, (but per OP requirements, FYI only signed thru '21-22)
Georgiev may be available, if return includes a G who meets minimal requirements for Seattle eligibility and exposure - EO have Stalock(signed for next), Skinner and Wells pending RFA

salary balancing depends on retention,
but also, i have not seen EO play this year, i have no idea if a guy like Larsson is essential or disposable
general concur
correct me if I am wrong
but
doesn't Kinkaid cover our requirements for exposure?
Are we required to protect anyone, and if so, can't that just be anybody?

This feels like a been there done that trade for the Oilers. They have already had Strome and that experiment did not go overly well for the Oilers so I could see hesitation to bring him back, especially at the price the Rags would be looking at (assume a 1st +). The Oilers have also had re-tread and potential up and coming goalies through their system for years. Geo is more of the same. He currently has a sub 900 save percentage and has been at or close to 3.0 goals against average his entire NHL career. If the Oilers are going to invest in net, it should be for a starter not another could be. So I don't see a huge want for this package from the Oilers.
Strome - dat wuz den and dis is now
But I get yr pt
bottom line, who else is available at what cost?
Geo - concur he is not slam dunk sure thing
but
while he has bad games he ALSO has solid stonewalls.

Going to be a real hard sell to get any taker for Neal's contract. Maybe if we give Broberg to Seattle to take him off our hands in expansion. Seems headed to a buyout.
Broberg will not be surrendered for a 1st to be rid of Neal.
He is not likely moved now in any event due to Klefbom is signif injury
AND
IF IF IF
he were available, NYR would consider better offer.

Danault 50% retained , chariot 50% retained, jake Allen and johnathan drouin for .......
Now we can even take an expiring dump to even things up but you gotta give to get . So bouchard gotta be in the deal with your 2022 1st plus what ?
Danault wants long term $$$$.
Would be fab as a decent price expiring rental for this season only.
However, that notion competes w/Habs using him as self rental, and acquiring team must bid vs that, and top a min offer

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... doesn't Kinkaid cover our requirements for exposure?
Are we required to protect anyone, and if so, can't that just be anybody? ...

Yes KK would meet the exposure requirement,
but i 'd only move Georgie with intent to protect Keith,
thus the need for another signed or RFA 'tender to expose

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Use one of those firsts to rid Neal’s contract

Why ?
It is doesnt that costly to buy him out.
But nice try though.

1st + Lavoie + Bear for Rakell?

Just stupid much. Rakell would not bring all that, even if he is a good player.
Lavoie could just him alone be as good as Rakell. Bear has a lot of good years ahead of him, growing into a 2nd or 3rd D.

2021 1st + Jones + Benson for Getzlaf rental and Rakell.

Take it while you can.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Why ?
It is doesnt that costly to buy him out.
But nice try though.

Just stupid much. Rakell would not bring all that, even if he is a good player.
Lavoie could just him alone be as good as Rakell. Bear has a lot of good years ahead of him, growing into a 2nd or 3rd D.

2021 1st + Jones + Benson for Getzlaf rental and Rakell.

Take it while you can.

Salary cap say no go big time.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes KK would meet the exposure requirement,
but i 'd only move Georgie with intent to protect Keith,
thus the need for another signed or RFA 'tender to expose

We have enuf solid G prospects and I'm not concerned about a secondary stopgap if we need it should Wall not be ready, which my suspicion is he will be.

So I say get value for Geo, use Kink as exposed requirement, don't worry about who fits into protected designation, assuming we have to submit one. Again, am I wrong or is the protected designation semi-optional as long as you meet the exposure requirements?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
We have enuf solid G prospects and I'm not concerned about a secondary stopgap if we need it should Wall not be ready, which my suspicion is he will be.
So I say get value for Geo, use Kink as exposed requirement, don't worry about who fits into protected designation, assuming we have to submit one. Again, am I wrong or is the protected designation semi-optional as long as you meet the exposure requirements?

To my knowledge, protecting players is not required.
I rely on these resources often.
Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The FAQ page includes this:
"Protected Players
Teams will be permitted to protect a certain amount of their players, meaning that they would not be exposed as available players in the Expansion Draft. "

but we disagree a bit,
going into next season, my preference is to be assured that NYR have a trusted and familiar backup to Shesty, who has already had 3 injured spells in his brief career.
That is easy enough to meet, while protecting a G,
as the exposed G need not meet neither GP minimums, nor be actually signed, being RFA is adequate

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To my knowledge, protecting players is not required.
I rely on these resources often.
Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The FAQ page includes this:
"Protected Players
Teams will be permitted to protect a certain amount of their players, meaning that they would not be exposed as available players in the Expansion Draft. "

but we disagree a bit,
going into next season, my preference is to be assured that NYR have a trusted and familiar backup to Shesty, who has already had 3 injured spells in his brief career.
That is easy enough to meet, while protecting a G,
as the exposed G need not meet neither GP minimums, nor be actually signed, being RFA is adequate

Thanks for solid post per usual.
Per usual, we agree mo than we disagree.

Also given next season we start to kick ass w/emerging young core, I too want satisfactory backup for Shesty.

dif is I believe Wall --- at least as to rookie backup w/sheltered games vs weaker clubs to optimize him wading into NHL pool --- may be ready and would give him a try.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sounds like we are on the same page that the Ducks would laugh at that offer and keep their best player and Rakell who should easily get more then a low 1st...

They are at the bottom of the league.

They keep Rakell over 1st round picks because they want to place 26th instead of 28th?

That doesn't make sense. So they are laughing because they suck?

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
Isn't 2022 the Matthew Savoie , Shane Wright draft year ? Why would the Oilers risk trading a first round pick ? What if McDavid and Drai get injured and the Oilers are in the lotto position for a chance to draft hometown phenom Savoie ?

Hell no.
thats whay we need resign rnh is because if one of those guys goes down you have rnh as a back up option at 2line center

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Edmonton as a team should find every way possible to avoid a Neal buyout. Because honestly, a 3C, another solid LD, and a top 6 LW would go a long way for them.
....point...

We would love to. But we also need our prospects. When we have someone making McDavid money, somewhere else has to have bargain bin players, and those are best filled with ELC players if possible. Trading too many picks makes that next to impossible.
... counterpoint

------------
OP: thread title of picks available, plus...
Oilers have some cap space for the first time in years . So it is time to go all in . All prospects outside of Holloway , Broberg and Bouchard are available .

Needs #3C , #3/4LD , 1A/B goalie and a top 6 LW . Only interested in players sign to 2 years + contracts . These deals are better done in the off season . If we do a trade deadline deal it has to be dollar in dollar out .

On a side note I would listen to offers on RNH .

a couple of probs; a main one is CF says EDM has zero cap for a deal.
Any player asset is at least league min.
Any signif player likely costs more.

This means salary going the other way.
But Oil don't want/can't do any payment on Neal to create cap?

------------
suspect Rangers can accommodate on either larger acquisition [Buchnevich] or smaller [Hajek for LD, e.g,] but I'm not clear on extent of what Oil will offer to make worthwhile for NY.
That is, it appears a trading partner needs to be compensated once for value of player, then again for assisting EDM with enabling them to make cap space.
Will Oil go there?

Or is there something no so obvious that has been overlooked that would enable EDM to internally generate cap facilitating a deal?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yoi do realise it'd cost the Oilers a 1st to get rid of Neal on his own right?

Like 1st + Neal vs cond 7th type of deal

I doubt we could move Neal for a first . Have to consider it from an owners point of view . They been bleeding money for 2 years with no fans and you are asking them to take on 11.5 million . Even if it’s for a buy out it is 1.9 x 4 so 7.6 million for a pick around 20th . I just don’t see it happening . Maybe if the Oilers retain 50% . Even then if I was an owner I wouldn’t pay 5.75 million to buy a later 1st . Even on a buy out it amounts to 3.8 million . The best course of action is to buy Neal out ourselves and helpful sign a UFA to a bargain contract as we are still in a flat . I know every one and their dog will say it just been done but contracts are prorated base on games this year and that leaves about 20 games left so about 25% . So on a 6 million contract you have 1.5 million left . A team holding an extra 25% is a few hundred thousand not millions . Neal is Edmonton’s problem .

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Did San Jose not just pay 1.3(Foligno) million for a 4th round pick?
It seems like GMs are still willing to pay for picks. Im thinking an actual body in James Neal plus a 2nd + B prospect is doable for a 7th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad