Value of: Oilers 1st 2021, 1st 2022, and 2nd 2022

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yoi do realise it'd cost the Oilers a 1st to get rid of Neal on his own right?

Like 1st + Neal vs cond 7th type of deal
I'm don't even think their 1st would be enough. 1 year of Marleau, a better player, cost a 1st to move out in better cap circumstances. Neal has 2 years left and is worse.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I'm don't even think their 1st would be enough. 1 year of Marleau, a better player cost a 1st to move out. Neal has 2 years left and is worse.
Agreed.
In a flat cap world, Any team trading for Neal will be asking for the moon.
It's 2M$ of dead cap space for 4 years for any team buying him out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm don't even think their 1st would be enough. 1 year of Marleau, a better player, cost a 1st to move out in better cap circumstances. Neal has 2 years left and is worse.

No team will ever pay the Marleau price again. Toronto painted themselves into a corner there, Marleau as a buy out would have cost them full cap hit due to his age when he signed. Neal at a buyout would cost less per season. But it doesn't matter, the Oilers aren't paying anyone to take James Neal.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If they trade both those players, they won't get a ton more than that. Rakell will bring a first with maybe a small add. Gibson would get a 1st, but not much more, which is why they won't trade him at all.

Sounds like we are on the same page that the Ducks would laugh at that offer and keep their best player and Rakell who should easily get more then a low 1st...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If they trade both those players, they won't get a ton more than that. Rakell will bring a first with maybe a small add. Gibson would get a 1st, but not much more, which is why they won't trade him at all.
Disagree with you on Gibson. He's one of the best goaltenders in the league. Anaheim would be Buffalo bad without him. Only way he'd only bring back a 1st is if Anaheim wasn't taking any salary back and the 1st was a top 10ish pick.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No team will ever pay the Marleau price again. Toronto painted themselves into a corner there, Marleau as a buy out would have cost them full cap hit due to his age when he signed. Neal at a buyout would cost less per season. But it doesn't matter, the Oilers aren't paying anyone to take James Neal.
They should buy him out yes. Just saying it would cost more than a 1st to unload Neal. Edmonton's goaltending has shocked me this season. I was certain it would be their undoing, not a team strength. Goaltenders are voodoo. Oilers need to strike now while their goalies are playing well.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

EDM may not like it, but they'll need cap space in order to fill their 1G spot, and get a couple of good dman.

It'll cost them some future acquiring said cap space!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Gibson gets maybe a high 1st in offseason + ... but not a contenders 1st... if it was a team like the leafs/avs/oilers... it would be a 1st + good prospect + 3rd piece.

I think Rakell gets significantly more than a 1st also... pending cap dumps/retention. Palmeiri basically got that and is expiring contract... you get rakell for 2 runs at a very good #

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Oilers have some cap space for the first time in years . So it is time to go all in . All prospects outside of Holloway , Broberg and Bouchard are available .

Needs #3C , #3/4LD , 1A/B goalie and a top 6 LW . Only interested in players sign to 2 years + contracts . These deals are better done in the off season . If we do a trade deadline deal it has to be dollar in dollar out .

On a side note I would listen to offers on RNH .
Tyler bozak and vince dunn

1st 2022 and 2nd 2021 full retention on both
We can also talk about a winger as well.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
IMO Edmonton needs to tread lightly, I don't think they are quite ready to "go all in" especially if they are considering dealing the 2022 1st.. that has huge potential to bite them.
Just look at what SJ did, dealing their 1st a year out and they crumbled, and Ottawa takes Stutzle with the SJ pick
Meh if your team has a Mcdavid and Draisaitl and you’re definitely in the playoffs its always a good idea to go all in imo

Reactions: iCanada

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If we're making all of that available, I'd give Anaheim a call about Rakell and Gibson. Solves two problems, if they are inclined to move both.

Rakell & Gibson for 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022, and cap space. Koskinen would need to be one piece, others could be Chaisson (UFA), Kassian, Neal (for buy out, yes we would need to add).

It's probably too complicated to get done considering limited cap space and the value of the Anaheim pieces, and obviously only works if Gibson wants out and Rakell is expected to leave the Ducks after his contract is up.
That wouldn’t even get you Gibson by himself. That’s two non lottery 1st for an elite and cost controlled goalie in and thru his prime. No way Anaheim goes for that as it creates a crater in their organization for magic beans.

Conversely, it’s a big overpay for Rakell.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gibson gets maybe a high 1st in offseason + ... but not a contenders 1st... if it was a team like the leafs/avs/oilers... it would be a 1st + good prospect + 3rd piece.

I think Rakell gets significantly more than a 1st also... pending cap dumps/retention. Palmeiri basically got that and is expiring contract... you get rakell for 2 runs at a very good #
I think with Gibson, the only way he gets anything is if he asks for a trade, and then his cost goes down significantly, but otherwise, you are correct.

Rakell won't get much more than a 1st in my opinion. Depending on cap dumps, as you said. If we are sending an ucpoming UFA, like Chaisson for example, I don't think that changes the value, its just the cost of doing business when roughly 5 teams have cap space. If its someone with longer term, or a buyout contract, then yes, it would cost more.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oilers have some cap space for the first time in years . So it is time to go all in . All prospects outside of Holloway , Broberg and Bouchard are available .

Needs #3C , #3/4LD , 1A/B goalie and a top 6 LW . Only interested in players sign to 2 years + contracts . These deals are better done in the off season . If we do a trade deadline deal it has to be dollar in dollar out .

I’d be all about someone like Saad or Burakovsky and Avs 2021 1st for RNH.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
EDM may not like it, but they'll need cap space in order to fill their 1G spot, and get a couple of good dman.

It'll cost them some future acquiring said cap space!
We have cap space for that coming this offseason actually. We won't be able to sign an 8 million dollar goalie of course, but we have space to upgrade on what we have. We have some buyout penalties expiring and decreasing this year, Kris Russell's extension at a fraction of his current salary takes effect, we get a few million in players like Chaisson leaving, and probably get a couple of million in James Neal buyout (which balances with the expiring buyout penalties I guess). If we re-sign the defensemen we have, we don't need to find anymore. That shouldn't cost much more than it does now (Barrie should get a raise, Larsson should get extended at a lower hit or will leave as a UFA).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think with Gibson, the only way he gets anything is if he asks for a trade, and then his cost goes down significantly, but otherwise, you are correct.

Rakell won't get much more than a 1st in my opinion. Depending on cap dumps, as you said. If we are sending an ucpoming UFA, like Chaisson for example, I don't think that changes the value, its just the cost of doing business when roughly 5 teams have cap space. If its someone with longer term, or a buyout contract, then yes, it would cost more.
I would guess he gets a 1st + 2nd value... lot of teams would love to add a top 6 forward.... With palmeiri off, hall is prob the next best option then rakell... and i think a lot of people would prefer adding a rakell to their team than a hall.

Might be 1st + prospect, 1st + 3rd/4th + prospect... but i doubt he goes for a flat 1st.... i also assume mos teams asking would love for anaheim to retain, and potentailly take back cap to help facilitate other moves.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl

Would keep Samo and trade Broberg.... but who am I

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would guess he gets a 1st + 2nd value... lot of teams would love to add a top 6 forward.... With palmeiri off, hall is prob the next best option then rakell... and i think a lot of people would prefer adding a rakell to their team than a hall.

Might be 1st + prospect, 1st + 3rd/4th + prospect... but i doubt he goes for a flat 1st.... i also assume mos teams asking would love for anaheim to retain, and potentailly take back cap to help facilitate other moves.

I could see a 1st and a prospect. But you need to think of this part too. With the Islanders spending their wad on Palmeiri and Zajac, and another team likely spending their spare room on Hall (Florida maybe?), the list of interested teams will go down. Which could mean that Rakell's demand goes down as well. Of course, as an RFA, if the demand goes too low, Anaheim just keeps him and hopes for a better offer next year.

I would agree that the 1st + prospect or 1st, depth pick and prospect options are plausible though. All depends on what prospects they want.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see a 1st and a prospect. But you need to think of this part too. With the Islanders spending their wad on Palmeiri and Zajac, and another team likely spending their spare room on Hall (Florida maybe?), the list of interested teams will go down. Which could mean that Rakell's demand goes down as well. Of course, as an RFA, if the demand goes too low, Anaheim just keeps him and hopes for a better offer next year.

I would agree that the 1st + prospect or 1st, depth pick and prospect options are plausible though. All depends on what prospects they want.
I would imagine the list is still pretty good
Oilers, Avs, Bruins, Leafs, Canadians, Jets, Hurricanes

Maybe a dark horse like Nashville, or Wild jump in.

Hell at 1.9 maybe Tampa jumps in.

The palmeiri move could potentially make teams more desperate to add a player to their roster, cause that islander team looks pretty legit now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Why ? We can buy him out and not waste assets to move him .

I would think that having 5.75m space for 2 years outweighs the buyout of 1.9m for 4 years... just feel like those extra 2 years on a buyout penalty could bite you in the butt later on. I guess if the cap is going up it’s not that bad.

Take it from the team that is paying Stone and Brower right now.

Edit: you’re also paying Sekera still

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would think that having 5.75m space for 2 years outweighs the buyout of 1.9m for 4 years... just feel like those extra 2 years on a buyout penalty could bite you in the butt later on. I guess if the cap is going up it’s not that bad.

Take it from the team that is paying Stone and Brower right now.

Edit: you’re also paying Sekera still

Yeah, we have Sekera still, but his buyout penalty drops after this season is over. And Pouliot's is done. We are losing 2.3M in buyout penalty this summer, so if you think about it, we could add Neal's 1.9 and still have a little more cap space than we did at the start of this season. Still not as good as having no buyouts of course.

Reactions: CraigsList

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, we have Sekera still, but his buyout penalty drops after this season is over. And Pouliot's is done. We are losing 2.3M in buyout penalty this summer, so if you think about it, we could add Neal's 1.9 and still have a little more cap space than we did at the start of this season. Still not as good as having no buyouts of course.
I think Edmonton as a team should find every way possible to avoid a Neal buyout. Because honestly, a 3C, another solid LD, and a top 6 LW would go a long way for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad