Confirmed with Link: Oiler sign Dominik Kahun 1-year/ 975k

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I like him. He is a smarty and usefull player. Need cheap options like that.

Agreed, I think he could play anywhere in the top 9 and do well. Ideally on the third line but can fill in on the top 6 when needed

I wonder if he’d consider a small raise and a second year, $1.25M x 2? If it needs to be a bit more, Chiasson’s $2.15M is off the books and can help bump it up while still signing another bottom 6 guy

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Agreed, I think he could play anywhere in the top 9 and do well. Ideally on the third line but can fill in on the top 6 when needed

I wonder if he’d consider a small raise and a second year, $1.25M x 2? If it needs to be a bit more, Chiasson’s $2.15M is off the books and can help bump it up while still signing another bottom 6 guy

I feel like the threat of being dumped and going to your 5th team in 4 years should keep his contract reasonable. Having one of his best friends on the team can’t hurt either. He’s been a solid enough depth guy that he’s a no brainer to keep if the contract is in that range.

Reactions: Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
15EV goal pace. These don't grow on trees despite what might be commonly thought.

Kahun was brought in here with an average 12.5goals/season and a 15 goal pace this season has covered his bet. He's also been a good team mate here, involved, players like him and you can tell the team wants him to have success. So much so that it kind of hurt his game in first 10GP. Drai particularly had been trying too hard to set him up. Not just letting the plays happen. This has been corrected.

Kahun as the season had progressed also more comfortable with the puck and several times a night making plays with the puck that don't look out of place even on top lines with generational players.

Nice of Tippet to reward this with the 3 on 3 shift and getting a huge goal on a splendid play. Kahun heating up at right time.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Kahun makes 975K and he stands out MUCH more than RNH when he was there ont he first line. lol. He actually skates and creates and makes some nice plays. I am surprised.

I should start a thread on it sometime but last 3 seasons (the entirety of Kahuns career he has more EVpts/60 mins, More EV Assists/60mins and now more EVG/60minutes than Nuge. Across 3 seasons.

EV, Nuge has been dogging it mostly, outside of the DRY line stint last season. Even in real numbers Nuge only has 9more EV pts than Kahun while playing way more minutes.

Also this season Kahun has the same EV scoring rate/60mins as Leon Draisaitl. This is true.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I should start a thread on it sometime but last 3 seasons (the entirety of Kahuns career he has more EVpts/60 mins, More EV Assists/60mins and now more EVG/60minutes than Nuge. Across 3 seasons.

EV, Nuge has been dogging it mostly, outside of the DRY line stint last season. Even in real numbers Nuge only has 9more EV pts than Kahun while playing way more minutes.

Also this season Kahun has the same EV scoring rate/60mins as Leon Draisaitl. This is true.
Kahun also has 9 ES goals to RNH who has 7. Kahun averages 12 min of ice time. Nuge 20 (some of that is Pk of course)

Hyman with 13 ES G and 29 ES points, Nuge with 15 ES points.

Danault with 5 ESG and 23 ESP

Woof

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kahun also has 9 ES goals to RNH who has 7. Kahun averages 12 min of ice time. Nuge 20 (some of that is Pk of course)

Woof
If you are going to compare minutes at least compare the same thing.
Kahun 12:19 evtoi/g
RNH 14:37 evtoi/g

So no there isn't an 8 minute difference even strength between them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
15EV goal pace. These don't grow on trees despite what might be commonly thought.

Kahun was brought in here with an average 12.5goals/season and a 15 goal pace this season has covered his bet. He's also been a good team mate here, involved, players like him and you can tell the team wants him to have success. So much so that it kind of hurt his game in first 10GP. Drai particularly had been trying too hard to set him up. Not just letting the plays happen. This has been corrected.

Kahun as the season had progressed also more comfortable with the puck and several times a night making plays with the puck that don't look out of place even on top lines with generational players.

Nice of Tippet to reward this with the 3 on 3 shift and getting a huge goal on a splendid play. Kahun heating up at right time.
I think ideally Kahun is a great 3rd liner that can be rewarded with some top 6 spot duty.
That's not a knock on him at all either

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

The advanced stats have always liked Kahun alot. The issue is the real stats aren't as positive. I like Kahun but I see him as a 6-7 utility scoring forward. Like Perrault in Winnipeg..

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keep Kahun. He's played well all year. We just wanted more when he was with Drai but for 975K, maybe those expectations were high for him. Viewed as a Reider level type player for this roster he's knocking it out of the park.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Kahun has way more EV pts/60mins this season than Nuge does. I posted all the numbers in the RNH thread, anybody can look at it. Kahun has better 50n5 rates this year, and cumulatively, in the 3yrs he's played, vs same time frame for Nuge.

You have to remember Kahun has been scratched 8 games as well. kind of hard to produce from there.

Its crazy but kahun has IDENTICAL EV pts this season than Nuge. Both have 15. But Nuge has had way more EV toi this season.

Worse, in 6gp on topline Kahun has 3G 4pts. It took Nuge mths on that same top line to gather even 8EV pts.

edit just looked it up. Nuge has played 165 MORE EV minutes than Kahun this season but somehow is tied in pts. Thats an extraordinarily bad look for Nuge.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kahun has way more EV pts/60mins this season than Nuge does. I posted all the numbers in the RNH thread, anybody can look at it. Kahun has better 50n5 rates this year, and cumulatively, in the 3yrs he's played, vs same time frame for Nuge.

You have to remember Kahun has been scratched 8 games as well. kind of hard to produce from there.

Its crazy but kahun has IDENTICAL EV pts this season than Nuge. Both have 15. But Nuge has had way more EV toi this season.

Worse, in 6gp on topline Kahun has 3G 4pts. It took Nuge mths on that same top line to gather even 8EV pts.
Being scratched also doesn't affect your /60 rates.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

who said there was? (I said Pk was in there and we know he plays the PP). Breaking them down doesn't help his cause one bit

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Being scratched also doesn't affect your /60 rates.

Never said it did. But it impacts your pt and goal totals obviously, which is the first thing people eyeball. On a full season, playing all games, Kahun is on pace for 15EV goals in his limited minutes, 12.5mins/game. Which means 4th on the whole team in goal production per 5 on 5 minute.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
who said there was? (I said Pk was in there and we know he plays the PP). Breaking them down doesn't help his cause one bit

It makes it look worse because then we see Nuges abysmal EV production.

Basically a talented player like Nuge can ride PP pts and get enough of those for a contract. I mean he's covering his bet there. But when the same player has only 15EV pts all season while playing with generational superstars, It doesn't help the team a whole lot that Nuge decides to be Chiasson level player any time its 5 on 5. I mean he's not even at Kahun level which I've clearly established.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Woof
Are you guys rubbing your nuge effigies while you post on Kahun?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not breaking it down the minutes and showing only his EV points makes it seem worse than it is too

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pretty good bang for the buck this year at 975K.
Would certainly keep him next yr over Ennis, Nygard, Turris and Haas.
Double his salary to under 2M and it would be win win for all.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty good bang for the buck this year at 975K.
Would certainly keep him next yr over Ennis, Nygard, Turris and Haas.
Double his salary to under 2M and it would be win win for all.
Or just qualify him at 975k and call it a day.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Or just qualify him at 975k and call it a day.
His camp wont accept it if he does some damage in playoffs. Like Barrie he chose EDM for cheap to pump up his numbers. Market value is much higher ala Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->