Confirmed with Link: Oiler sign Dominik Kahun 1-year/ 975k

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
There "appears" to be some potential for Kahun to be a mediocre top 6 fwd but it's all about him being able to get some traction, confidence and mojo going. Maybe playing him with his buddy drai will help unlock it, who knows? Or maybe playing him on the third line with Turris and Ennis etc will form some chemistry to really get some mojo and good touches going? Move him off Drai's line so he can't defer to Drai all the time and work more on carrying the play a bit more?

That's part of the coach's job, to figure out a way to make the new guys feel most comfortable to play to their potential and unlock their full talent. Sometimes that means not playing with the big 2 as they will defer and not develop their full potential in the NHL. And if they're on the third line, give them more opportunities and ice time. Maybe give a second pp unit more opportunities to gain some offensive traction, moving the puck around and getting solid touches.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If it is any consolation, he looked awful in PIT for his first 10 or so games before finding some chemistry and burning white hot then looking solid, but not amazing afterwards.

Don't say this. HF knows more than anyone else. Just consider Kahun a bust because HF knows best :sarcasm:

Reactions: Darkwinter

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
5 games and didn't have much of a training camp with the boys. So far he's been okay. Had plenty of chances. I would say he's more snake bitten than anything

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know people are pretty down on him and he hasn’t been an overly productive player (I expected at least another 5 points from him by now to keep with his 0.5 PPG pace) but he’s actually one of the few players that’s produced at 5v5.

Kahun is at 0.80 goals per 60 minutes at five-on-five which is No. 4 among Oilers forwards (behind only McDavid, Draisaitl and Puljujarvi).

Looking forward to seeing how he does on McDavid’s wing (finally), but see him doing well on the third line if re-signed next year next to a solid 3C. I think he will be re-signed as an RFA and they’ll move on from Ennis and Neal.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I know people are pretty down on him and he hasn’t been an overly productive player (I expected at least another 5 points from him by now to keep with his 0.5 PPG pace) but he’s actually one of the few players that’s produced at 5v5.

Kahun is at 0.80 goals per 60 minutes at five-on-five which is No. 4 among Oilers forwards (behind only McDavid, Draisaitl and Puljujarvi).

Looking forward to seeing how he does on McDavid’s wing (finally), but see him doing well on the third line if re-signed next year next to a solid 3C. I think he will be re-signed as an RFA and they’ll move on from Ennis and Neal.

I also think resigning him to a prove yourself again contract 1 year, but I just sobt see it happen.

Neal and Ennis are gone next year though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I see a decent 2 way player that the Oilers will likely give another chance but... this player isn't even close to what I was expecting and I was expecting very very little.

He does not have top 6 offensive talent. He can not drive even a third line in terms of production/play. Even playing with Draisaitl a guy he has loads of chemistry with he just can't complete plays on a regular enough rate in the offensive zone.

On a good third line he could be a fill in. There is a reason he was available for the Oilers and it's obvious that because he isnt in demand/talented.

Too bad, I was hoping his chemistry with Draisaitl would make him a cost effective complimentary winger.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I also think resigning him to a prove yourself again contract 1 year, but I just sobt see it happen.

Neal and Ennis are gone next year though.
He's been signed to about 6-7 one year show yourself contracts in his career. How many do you need?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
For the money, it was a great signing and he's been good. If he were making 4 million a season then I'd have a different take. I'm 50-50 on resigning him again becuase I'd like to see Benson up in his spot next season but I think I'm alone in that thinking.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The whole line has struggled, not just Kahun. Drai is having a fallback year due to games being limited to North division and 9-10 matches against each club who of course scout tendencies of opponents and scheme for them more than they would otherwise. Its why I said Drai wouldn't hit 80pts this season. Drai has only 12 goals outside the Ottawa games. Thats concerning in itself. Only the worst team in the division has been incapable of stopping him. He has 10 goals in those 9GP. He has only 12 in the other 36GP this season.

This impacts the whole line. If Drai is shutdown by the majority of opponents then its only prime feeding time against Ottawa. Drai has scored only 6EV goals in north division outside of Ottawa. Thats problematic.

Yama has also done well against Ottawa scoring 3/8 goals against them. He has 5EV goals in the rest of season.

Kahun, its an odd look, because unlike his linemates he did not capitalize against Ottawa, he scored only 1 goal against them, but 5 in the rest of the season, same as Yama, and only one back of Drais EV scoring against other clubs.

Yama is not a second yet, he's not a developed enough player to shoulder that topsix load, and he's struggled with it. Kahun is on a new team and having to play on a relatively weak topsix, while facing top opposition. Of Yama and Kahun its actually impressive that Kahun is better with the puck, more comfortable with the puck, and can skate it around. For some reason Yama is uncomfortable with the puck in opponent end.

But its important to point out, again, that Drai has only 6EV goals in games not involving Ottawa, Yama has 5, and Kahun has 5 in the rest of division games.

So given that it would be unreasonable to suggest that Kahun could even be prolific on that line. He's also been scratched multiple times and sent to bottomsix on 3 occasions.

What the line has been is a defensive line. Drai is having a Selke conversation year, and Yama and Kahun are adept responsible players in all zones. They just don't score a lot.

Outside Ottawa games the whole line has scored 16times in 36GP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I see a decent 2 way player that the Oilers will likely give another chance but... this player isn't even close to what I was expecting and I was expecting very very little.

He does not have top 6 offensive talent. He can not drive even a third line in terms of production/play. Even playing with Draisaitl a guy he has loads of chemistry with he just can't complete plays on a regular enough rate in the offensive zone.

On a good third line he could be a fill in. There is a reason he was available for the Oilers and it's obvious that because he isnt in demand/talented.

Too bad, I was hoping his chemistry with Draisaitl would make him a cost effective complimentary winger.
He’s signed for 975K and you are complaining he doesn’t drive the 3rd line?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I’d like the Oilers to keep him.

He’s reasonably young, cost controlled, and has a bit of upside in him yet. Plus he probably likes being with Draisaitl and there’s always value in keeping your big boys happy.

Any place other than the third line for him to start next season would be too high. He can play spot duty in the top 6 in case of injury.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
For the money, it was a great signing and he's been good. If he were making 4 million a season then I'd have a different take. I'm 50-50 on resigning him again becuase I'd like to see Benson up in his spot next season but I think I'm alone in that thinking.

But all teams survive lm deep depth. A major key. I have him as a sparepart.

No guarante that Benson or Marody can keep a NHL spot.
MacLeod I think sticks, but thats just on my gut.

Reactions: Czechboy

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
But all teams survive lm deep depth. A major key. I have him as a sparepart.

No guarante that Benson or Marody can keep a NHL spot.
MacLeod I think sticks, but thats just on my gut.
Yeah good teams retain talent and our team isn’t really in a position to be giving up offensive depth as it is.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Let's see how he does on Monday with McDavid. We have potential at a good line right now.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I might have misheard Bob as I was multi-tasking at the time but it sounds like they offered Kahun 2 years on the first day of free agency and when they declined (Kahun and his agent were looking for more), signed Turris. As we know, they circled back and signed him later. Bob also kept saying “playing for the next contract” in a way that sounded like there is mutual interest. I could see him signing a 2 year contract now

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I like him. He is a smarty and usefull player. Need cheap options like that.
I might have misheard Bob as I was multi-tasking at the time but it sounds like they offered Kahun 2 years on the first day of free agency and when they declined (Kahun and his agent were looking for more), signed Turris. As we know, they circled back and signed him later. Bob also kept saying “playing for the next contract” in a way that sounded like there is mutual interest. I could see him signing a 2 year contract now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->