News Article: Oiler Line Up Cult of Hockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Staples posted a decent chart about this season's line up for the Edmonton Oilers. Interesting where he assigns Kassian and Archibald.

As stated by many posters on here.. some big gaps on the forward lines.

lines-1-5.png

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It should be pretty interesting. If Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH play like they did last year (which will probably be hard to replicate for Draisaitl and RNH) and we get anything decent from the bottom 2 lines, we should be a bubble team completing for a spot.

We have gaps for sure, but if Neal can turn back into a 20+ scorer playing with RNH, our lines are that much better. I honestly think that Neal will click better with McDavid than RNH and that doesnt leave much for RNH unless Draisaitl plays with him, which is unlikely.

I would still like for us to pick up someone who can play 3C though.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
There are big gaps but that's the reality in a cap environment when you have two top 6 players making as much as Draisaitl and McDavid. The only way to fill some of those gaps is to try out tweener players like Kassian/Nygard/Jurco or younger players on cheap contracts like Benson or Yamamoto. We're going to need some unexpected guys to step up a la Rust, Guentzel, and Sheary in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Faelko

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I like Marody. Let's not waste his time and pencil him in as a center. If he's going to make it in this league it's going to be on a lower responsibility role that requires less ability to skate back and forth to play a 2 way game effectively. Call him a Wing and let him learn the position starting now. The same thing we should have done with Gagner way back when.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's listing where guys should be on the depth chart. Truth be told, I think he's got it correct for the most part.

The one thing that's giving me some hope for the top 9 is the last spot on each line isn't expected to be a driver there, you can get away with adding in a complementary piece without it being an issue (Kassian with McDrai, perhaps trying a kid like Yama or Benson with NRH/Neal). Even though the 3C spot is a question, you'll have two experenced vets with Granlund and Chiasson on the wings, which helps a ton if you plop someone like Haas there.

Guessing right now, I think Kassian and Haas are the safer guesses to move up, and there will be a battle between Yamamoto, Benson, and Nygard (and maybe Gambardella) for the other winger on the 2nd line. Personally, I wouldn't be surpired to see Yamamoto and Neal click a fair bit. A playmaking puckhound, and a sniper that knows how to get open ice; mix in RNH's smarts to support and make plays, and I like it. If Puljujarvi actually shows up to camp, I could actually see him doing well in this spot too. But we'll see how that plays out.

My guess:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Neal-RNH-Yamamoto
Granlund-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Gagner-Archibald
PB: Cave, Brodziak

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He's listing where guys should be on the depth chart. Truth be told, I think he's got it correct for the most part.

The one thing that's giving me some hope for the top 9 is the last spot on each line isn't expected to be a driver there, you can get away with adding in a complementary piece without it being an issue (Kassian with McDrai, perhaps trying a kid like Yama or Benson with NRH/Neal). Even though the 3C spot is a question, you'll have two experenced vets with Granlund and Chiasson on the wings, which helps a ton if you plop someone like Haas there.

Guessing right now, I think Kassian and Haas are the safer guesses to move up, and there will be a battle between Yamamoto, Benson, and Nygard (and maybe Gambardella) for the other winger on the 2nd line. Personally, I wouldn't be surpired to see Yamamoto and Neal click a fair bit. A playmaking puckhound, and a sniper that knows how to get open ice; mix in RNH's smarts to support and make plays, and I like it. If Puljujarvi actually shows up to camp, I could actually see him doing well in this spot too. But we'll see how that plays out.

My guess:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Neal-RNH-Yamamoto
Granlund-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Gagner-Archibald
PB: Cave, Brodziak

I think it's a stretch for Yamamoto to stick but I'd be pretty happy if you turn out to be right.

You don't think Cave will be the 4C? Not certain what we have with Haas to pencil him in at 3C.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Admittedly I'm probably higher on Haas than most, and am reading too much between some lines.

The fact that Holland tossed him a contract that was a little richer than Nygård's, or any of the other bubble guys; while knowing the "it's NHL or bust" for the guy have me thinking the team's brain trust like him.

Also from a skills POV, I think he'll have an easier time at the NHL level vs. Nygard and the others. I like his shot and hands/puck control far more; Also the fact that he's become a mainstay for the Swiss internationally, and has been the matchup centre for his teams (at both the international or club level) is a big plus in my book, as it's experience going against top players in a defensive situations.

As for Cave, I like him, but I don't see anyone I'd knock out of the lineup for him. I'd expect Gagner and Khaira to share the 4th line centre role; and Khaira-Archibald, Granlund-Haas, and RNH-Chiasson to make up the main PK pairs upfront.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I get we have lots of question marks but we've seen that the top line RW spot can be filed by a few players. If Neal and Nuge can find some chemistry then we might have a decent second line. Look more a two players pairing over the line as a whole. The third line center will be interesting but I think we could have a surprise in the players we signed in playing there.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
It should be pretty interesting. If Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH play like they did last year (which will probably be hard to replicate for Draisaitl and RNH) and we get anything decent from the bottom 2 lines, we should be a bubble team completing for a spot.

We have gaps for sure, but if Neal can turn back into a 20+ scorer playing with RNH, our lines are that much better. I honestly think that Neal will click better with McDavid than RNH and that doesnt leave much for RNH unless Draisaitl plays with him, which is unlikely.

I would still like for us to pick up someone who can play 3C though.

Maybe try dangling Pulju on a string in front of Chevy & the Jets for center Adam Lowry? You never know? They got taken on the Trouba trade, prime pickings still, maybe. Lowry could be a solid 3rd-liner shut-down d-zone f/o guru who with size& a mean streak, but still plays hard and on the right side of the puck.
His finishing skills leave much to be desired but he is not in it to score lots or Bust! He is very valuable for his role. WPG has Copp & a myriad for "4th liners in the AHL to fill in at center, so...

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Staples posted a decent chart about this season's line up for the Edmonton Oilers. Interesting where he assigns Kassian and Archibald.

lines-1-5.png
1st line empty spot is being saved for Hatrick Laine! All Edmonton has to do is offer all 8 players in the 5th line spot, plus a couple 1sts and your set!?
Could imagine Drais- McD-Laine scoring 6 goals a game but needing to play almost 15 minutes a period. Just so long as only 5 given up any night, Oilers be winners more than not! Playoffs a plenty in this setup.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think it's a stretch for Yamamoto to stick but I'd be pretty happy if you turn out to be right.

You don't think Cave will be the 4C? Not certain what we have with Haas to pencil him in at 3C.
Colby Cave is a "sleeper-pick". IF opportunity abounds, I see him surprising many with positive progression.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
From Tippet's summer interview my best guess to what we'll see on openning night is

Draisailt - McDavid - Kassian
Benson - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Haas - Chiasson
Nygard - Khaira - Archibald

Reactions: Oilhawks

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I like Marody. Let's not waste his time and pencil him in as a center. If he's going to make it in this league it's going to be on a lower responsibility role that requires less ability to skate back and forth to play a 2 way game effectively. Call him a Wing and let him learn the position starting now. The same thing we should have done with Gagner way back when.

Seems silly to write off his NHL potential at center before he gets an opportunity.

Not like many players struggle moving to the wing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seems silly to write off his NHL potential at center before he gets an opportunity.

Not like many players struggle moving to the wing.

Well it’s a matter of scouting opinion of course. But I very very much doubt with his lack of foot speed and size he’d succeed with the responsibilities of being the 200 foot 2 way guy on his line. He does have some creativity in the O zone that we could use, i say we just give him the best chance to succeed and start him off on the wing right away. Sometimes a team just needs to make the most realistic call on a player, it comes down to how smart that team is at assessing what they have.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007

lines-1-5.png
Makes sense to me. New GM and Coach went in big on Smith and Neal. They will be given every opportunity to succeed. Therefore I see RNH and Neal at RW stapled together throughout camp and the search for a complimentary LW between vets Gagner Granlund and Chiasson versus newbies Benson Nygard and Jurco. I like a big aggressive fast 4th line with Cave between Khaira and Archibald who can all PK. Lots of competition at 3C but a PTO to push Haas Marody etc would be preferable. If Benson and Marody aren’t ready they go back to Bako. 13th and 14th forwards should go to young and fast like Haas Jurco and Nygard. If Gagner Brodziak and Manning aren’t clear winners they can mentor in AHL. We want younger faster aggressive players with offensive upside No more settling for Rieder Rattie and Lucic types

Reactions: smokersarejokers

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Makes sense to me. New GM and Coach went in big on Smith and Neal. They will be given every opportunity to succeed. Therefore I see RNH and Neal at RW stapled together throughout camp and the search for a complimentary LW between vets Gagner Granlund and Chiasson versus newbies Benson Nygard and Jurco. I like a big aggressive fast 4th line with Cave between Khaira and Archibald who can all PK. Lots of competition at 3C but a PTO to push Haas Marody etc would be preferable. If Benson and Marody aren’t ready they go back to Bako. 13th and 14th forwards should go to young and fast like Haas Jurco and Nygard. If Gagner Brodziak and Manning aren’t clear winners they can mentor in AHL. We want younger faster aggressive players with offensive upside No more settling for Rieder Rattie and Lucic types

Good post.

I also like Khaira, Cave (or Haas),and Archibald as a 4th line.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kreider would be a great add. I have trouble believing this is legit though.
Where did you hear this?

I read it as well on a few sites as well. I realize they are gossip sites but I would be ecstatic if Holland could pull that trade off. There would need to be more money shipped out or retained but having Kreider in our top 6 would be unreal

Reactions: guymez

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

I think Chiasson and Neal can work good with Nuge. I was out to a 3 game pack last October. (Boston, Pittsburgh , Nashville). At the Pens game, Chiasson had a great game and got hurt going into 3rd. He had 2 goals that game and hit crossbar on a shot I never even saw and I was in that corner when he shot it and all I heard was “ TING”. He has a quick release

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I still think it’s best to spread scoring out and have Drai down the middle. It didn’t work last year very well, but neither did stacking Connor and Drai (don’t get me wrong, they put up numbers, but it didn’t win us many more games).

The winger depth looks poor, but I think it’s deeper than last year and should provide more competition. It could be scoring by committee on the wings (assuming we don’t have any Rieders). I’d prefer to see this lineup:

Neal-McD-Kass
Nygard-Drai-Chiasson
Khaira-Nuge-Archibald
Granlund-Haas-Jurco/Currie/Cave

I really think that 3rd line could be good. You trade a 2nd+Pulju for an upgrade mid season to replace whatever disappointment exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad