GDT: Oil Spills vs. the Storm

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Haula I thought was fine tonight. TVR is bad, but only in the sense that he’s a bottom pairing defenseman playing on the top pair. It’s not his fault he isn’t Dougie Hamilton. Dzingle is being misused but is also playing like garbage so losing him is probably best for both sides.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Haula I thought was fine tonight. TVR is bad, but only in the sense that he’s a bottom pairing defenseman playing on the top pair. It’s not his fault he isn’t Dougie Hamilton. Dzingle is being misused but is also playing like garbage so losing him is probably best for both sides.
Yeah, it sucks for us and Dzingel. I still like him as a player, but he hasn't been able to earn Brindy's trust, so maybe it won't be a fit. Hard to say if now or the off season would be the best time to move on in that case.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really can't be too upset at the loss overall though. We got a point when we could have easily earned nothing, and it's not like the Oilers are a bad team this year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
TVR, Edmundson, Dzingel, and Haula are all guys playing at replacement level right now, and is probably the single biggest weakness of the team right now. Anything we can do at the deadline to either move them for parts or minimize their minutes by moving them down the lineup would be beneficial in the long term.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
They blew the lead in regulation and ended up losing. Canes gonna Cane.

Yeah, I wonder what we will do around the trade deadline.

Reactions: Tryamw

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
TVR, Edmundson, Dzingel, and Haula are all guys playing at replacement level right now, and is probably the single biggest weakness of the team right now. Anything we can do at the deadline to either move them for parts or minimize their minutes by moving them down the lineup would be beneficial in the long term.

I hear a lot of teams are looking for replacement level rentals right now

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
make the Oilers hear the bells in the sky like Emily Watson's deaf character at the end of Breaking The Waves (yeah, got 'em there hell yeah)

Oilers fan here. Never expected to see a reference to that movie on a hockey board. great movie and a great actress.

Just stopping in to say I hope you guys go deep in the playoffs. I like the way your team plays. Crowd was really into it today as well. Pumped for an afternoon game and in OT you could just hear a buzz.

Great game, didn't want it to end.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Obviously i'll take point over nothing but we blow golden opportunity here, especially the way we play in the OT. The team still control his own fate, so that's good. But we are not playing the way we saw last season. We need to finish this month really strong because the March is gonna be nightmare.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I liked the forecheck. It was dominant at times. That's the engine of the team and it's been MIA for a while. The more time spent in the other team's end, the less the defensemen have to defend and break the puck out.

On a down note, this team continues to take too many penalties. You can pick out calls that shouldn't have been made here and there, but it's not on the refs. The team leads the league in times shorthanded and trails Washington by a little less than 6 minutes for the lead in total PK time (Link). Penalty killing is seemingly inherently streaky. This team had a good PK last season, but it went cold and was perhaps the biggest reason why that run ended. Maybe this is a byproduct of that aggressive forecheck or perhaps this mix is just prone to taking a lot of penalties, but it's excessive either way.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This seasons team has an offensive mindset of trying for three way pretty passing plays instead of just shooting. Leads to lots of almost great plays, very occasional great plays, and plenty of frustration.

It’s surprising for a team with a coach who preaches straight forward and straight line hockey, and it’s very anti what we did last year.

Its fun to watch though, and we’ve never really had it so I’m not always against it.

We did get a point we didn’t used to get.

It's actually not just us. I watch a lot of games with NHL.TV being stuck here in PA and the fear of blocked/missed shots leading to a loss of possession is real around the league. Teams just can't play bombs-away anymore because *everything* gets blocked and goes back the other way. Unfortunately, we don't have the offensive skill to match up with the way the game is being played nowadays. Enforcers are basically extinct, and guys like Staal, Foegele and McGinn are kinda going that way. You just *can't* be defense-only in this day-and-age.

I'm starting to lean toward getting a forward at the deadline would be the better move than a defenseman. I'd been thinking a goalie like lehner would be great but I dont know if there would be enough time to adjust to the way the defense plays. If we're going to be loosey goosey have to score 3+ to win, we're going to need more firepower

I think we thought we did this, getting Haula, Gardiner and Dzingel, and re-signing Williams. It's just that none of them are playing very well.

Yeah, it sucks for us and Dzingel. I still like him as a player, but he hasn't been able to earn Brindy's trust, so maybe it won't be a fit. Hard to say if now or the off season would be the best time to move on in that case.

Starting to see how he got scratched during the playoffs last season in Columbus.

Rod isn't big on change as we all know. I don't see much happening before the off season in terms of addition/subtraction. Not that he's the only one with input. Still, it has to be frustrating to have 1 line producing. Is that on him or the players? Hard to say. There are arguments for both.

I've been holding off as long as I'm physically able, but it's starting to get the better of me. Roddy is bordering on Peters-level of stubbornness right now. I'm beyond upset at having to watch Haula and Dzingel skate around aimlessly, creating nothing, and McGinn, Wallmark, Staal and Foegele taking turns trying to chop the puck into little pieces. It's way past time to see what Gauthier can bring. Hell, give him five minutes. I refuse to believe he'll be any less effective than Dzingel right now.

Oilers fans are currently up in arms about how much they won despite being screwed by the refs tonight

If you all can find a replay of Aho's first goal that goes all the way back to the faceoff, watch TvR absolutely tackle the winger who was trying to pressure Slavin, allowing Jaccob to patiently skate up the boards and find Aho for the breakaway. It was such blatant interference that I decided right there I was going to ignore any other missed calls.

On top of that -- and I've mentioned this before -- power plays were even at 3 each. At the end of the day, that's what's going to happen in the NHL. Power plays are going to be about even. How and when they happen is basically irrelevant. They got three chances and they scored once and scored another one a second after Svech's penalty expired. We had three chances and we didn't score. I don't know why we just can't accept that this is the way officiating works in the NHL and just get used to it. Picking apart every call and non-call is just plain stupid and will result in nothing but frustration.

Edmonton won because they made one more play than we did, and their goalie made one more big save than ours did. We didn't do enough to win and we didn't. The refs had *zero* to do with the result.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers fans are currently up in arms about how much they won despite being screwed by the refs tonight

it is the official passtime of the oiler board to blame the refs for JFK's assassination, kidnapping the Lindberg Baby, Global warming, Donald Trump Birth, killing of the dinosaurs and everything else under the sun that has gone wrong on the planet since big bang happened. There is a large group of oiler fans the truly believe the refs are hiding behind the grassy hill , holding daily coven meetings to cause great harm on the oilers

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
it is the official passtime of the oiler board to blame the refs for JFK's assassination, kidnapping the Lindberg Baby, Global warming, Donald Trump Birth, killing of the dinosaurs and everything else under the sun that has gone wrong on the planet since big bang happened. There is a large group of oiler fans the truly believe the refs are hiding behind the grassy hill , holding daily coven meetings to cause great harm on the oilers

Personally I think it's the refs fault that the steak I cooked a few nights ago turned out medium well instead of medium rare. Now the only question is how many games does Evander Kane get for this?

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It looked like the energy level and engagement by the team is going up..now if we could work on better execution. So many close call what ifs and whiffs. And, broken sticks that stressed me out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->