Pre-Game Talk: Oil at Van

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He seemed to favor passing over shooting moreso than usual in the Calgary games as well, maybe there's something there.

His one timer that is usually lethal off the wall has been off lately, he's either fanning on it or missing entirely. Could have something to do with it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

All hail the RRs.

Anyone know if they will be available after this year? It's the first I've really wanted since the black All Star Jersey a couple years back (got the McDavid one). Wanted to wait until the start of next season to decide on who to get.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If Drai is truly injured or playing hurt then Tippet is a moron for playing him 22+ mins in a blowout where McD saw 18 and Nuge 17 mins of ice time.

This is a good point. Maybe he's a bit banged up but if he was injured I doubt Tippett is throwing him over the boards to shut down the Flames, despite the big body puck protection he provides.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would be ok if they split the series and each had a humiliating loss in there.
Humiliation is the key :)

Its an easy cheer for TML for me. We dont need to win the division. TML can run the board as long as they dont have a winning record against us.

CGY still has games in hands and can easily get back in the mix if they beat TML. A whole lot of Sens is coming up for them.

Also, no way Russell is getting scratched next game after his play vs Flames.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Its an easy cheer for TML for me. We dont need to win the division. TML can run the board as long as they dont have a winning record against us.

CGY still has games in hands and can easily get back in the mix if they beat TML. A whole lot of Sens is coming up for them.
My thinking as well.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

Also, no way Russell is getting scratched next game after his play vs Flames.
Toronto with a pair of wins would be great. Matthews going cold for a couple games and letting their depth charge the sinking ship flamer would be better

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think the org isn’t very high on Jones right now. My guess is he’ll be the odd man out on D when it comes to the expansion draft.

I don't think Tippett or Holland is as unhinged as HF, it's about winning and with Barrie and Bouchard in it's too hard to play another guy who can't PK. I literally think his handedness and lack of PKing is all that's keeping him out right now. Gotta block shots and play harder, I honestly think this is more akin to a parent grounding a child than some massive shift in opinion. Given how excited Tippett was about Jones before he played his last 7 games, which he was all of -1 in btw, I have a hard time thinking his opinion has changed all that much on him. Tippett has shown time and time again that he doesn't quit on players easy and guys like him because he doesn't make anyone a whipping boy. By giving an honest rational behind his decisions and acting on it he gives the player not just the opportunity but an obligation to get better. He consistently articulates this rationality in his daily commentary to the media and all his previous players seem to confirm this as as well. This isn't the Chiarelli era. It's about winning and getting better here now and not pointing fingers.

Caleb Jones is in his first full season and played 7 games early in a season with no exhibition. Sitting while Koekkoek and Russell have been playing is nothing to be ashamed of. Lagesson excels on the PK, is over a year older, and is a good young player too. These are good NHL players and other quality young dmen he's sitting behind who on the left side have brought a different look from him. They were hoping the depth they had could let them sit good players, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing that they were as the teams record lately can attest. Opportunity will knock again for Jones, especially now that Koekkoek is out for the season. I've still got a lot of hope for this player and I'd imagine 7 mediocre games hasn't swayed the "org." either.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think Tippett or Holland is as unhinged as HF, it's about winning and with Barrie and Bouchard in it's too hard to play another guy who can't PK. I literally think his handedness and lack of PKing is all that's keeping him out right now. Gotta block shots and play harder, I honestly think this is more akin to a parent grounding a child than some massive shift in opinion. Given how excited Tippett was about Jones before he played his last 7 games, which he was all of -1 in btw, I have a hard time thinking his opinion has changed all that much on him. Tippett has shown time and time again that he doesn't quit on players easy and guys like him because he doesn't make anyone a whipping boy. By giving an honest rational behind his decisions and acting on it he gives the player not just the opportunity but an obligation to get better. He consistently articulates this rationality in his daily commentary to the media and all his previous players seem to confirm this as as well. This isn't the Chiarelli era. It's about winning and getting better here now and not pointing fingers.

Caleb Jones is in his first full season and played 7 games early in a season with no exhibition. Sitting while Koekkoek and Russell have been playing is nothing to be ashamed of. Lagesson excels on the PK, is over a year older, and is a good young player too. These are good NHL players and other quality young dmen he's sitting behind who on the left side have brought a different look from him. They were hoping the depth they had could let them sit good players, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing that they were as the teams record lately can attest. Opportunity will knock again for Jones, especially now that Koekkoek is out for the season. I've still got a lot of hope for this player and I'd imagine 7 mediocre games hasn't swayed the "org." either.
It’s also because other guys have bypassed him on the depth chart. And you can only protect so many assets in the ED.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
2 wins here pretty much puts the Nucks away (from us and not the playoffs)

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Hope Legesson is back Thursday. He was calm back there and will be nice if Bear is in.

I will be happy with a split. Canuck games are so up and down. Lets hope Holbty or Demko don't go god moe like they did a few times in the first set.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Nuge Mcdavid JP
Kahun Drai Yam
Ennis Khaira Archi
Neal Haas

Nurse Barrie
Lagesson Bear
Bouchard Larsson
Russell

Russell can rotate in for Lagesson and Bouchard for more difficult matchups or if they aren't going.

I think we've had 4 lines with good chemistry going, well maybe the 2nd could be better, so I'd prefer they keep rolling all 4. I think in this compressed season they need to be careful not to overextend the top 6. I can see the appeal though, Bouchard is tough to keep out and Russell brings PK and shutdown ability. I suspect if he plays LD it will be with Bear and Lagesson will be back with Larsson. I think Bear being a better passer will help him acclimatize to playing with a righty on the left.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the situation is more fluid than that.

The writing is on the wall. Pulju’s emergence has added him to the “must protect” list, which limits their ability to protect Jones, especially given the emergence of Lagesson and even Larsson’s resurgence.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
As an Oiler fan in Northern Ontario, I am an equal opportunist. I hate the Leafs and Flames the same amount. I don't care who wins the other contender games as long as they are regulation games and not OT games. As long as Wpg, Tor, Mtl, and Cgy lose in regulation, I am good with it.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Just throwing this out there but the less we play Jones and the more we play Lagesson, there is a greater chance that Seattle is gonna take Lagesson in expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->