OHL vs. Russian Selects Game 2

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by therealdeal, Nov 27, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Registered User

Did anyone else check out that game tonight. Got a little bit heated to say the least.

2. canucksfan

canucksfan Registered User

Home Page:
    What a great game. I am going to the Chilliwack one and I hope it will be as good as this one was. Whoever, #3 was for Russia probably won't play though.

3. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

Zubarev started it all with a vicious crosscheck to the neck. Good thing Stewart is built like a tank. Stewart followed that up with an unecessary spear in the gut...of course Zubarev goes down like he's been shot. A minute later he's fine to go after the officials, wrestling with a linesman then hitting a ref. The kid lost it plain and simple. Won't be playing in the challenge any more, nor should he be allowed to play in the WJC IMO.

4. therealdeal

Was he the guy that got into the little scuffle with the ref at the end there? I thought that was kinda strange, didn't quite know what the Russians were thinking.

The one guy that got taken down the linesman (rather roughly) almost got into a fight with the linesman, I thought it might get really, really ugly there, glad it didn't.

5. canucksfan

Home Page:
    Yes he was. He was the one that cross checked Stewart to the head and then Stewart speared him.

The Russian lost it and it was good that the linesmen held onto him or else it would have got really ugly. The player that Stewart speared and the one that lost I'm almost 100% sure was the same player.

6. xeric716x

xeric716x Born To Expire

Bank Of America
    Home Page:
    youtube yet?

7. canucksfan

Home Page:
    I loved when they interviewed O'Marra was he mad or what. I thought he was going to swear a couple of times.

8. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    The thing I'm wondering is how Zubarev was even able to lose it at the end of the game like he did...? I mean, 20 seconds earlier he got a 5-minute major and should have been in the dressing room? Did he come off the bench/out of the room? I don't think the Sportsnet guys were picking up on that, but the boxscore seems to vindicate my curiosity.

I know it's pretty hard to apply any real tournament level disciplinary action in a linear series like this, I guess, but if the kid came back on the ice after being ejected, then started things up again and tangled with the officials, well... I know the Russians are overmatched and undermanned, but normally he'd be suspended for a loooooong time. Hopefully he makes the final WJC squad for them, though. ;)

9. Dig Out Your Soul

Dig Out Your Soul Ex Storm...

Yep, he came off the bench to attack Mr. Downie from behind. It was quite a miraculous recovery after his death scene from that spear, not to mention the quickest 5 minute major in the history of hockey.

10. therealdeal

Guys, he didn't get the 5 match, the OHL guy did for the spear, didn't he?

11. canucksfan

Home Page:
    That's what I thought too. I am pretty sure he was on the ice. Everytime a Russian goes down I think to myself oh he's faking it.

12. LeafDangler

LeafDangler Registered User

Someone needs to youtube the incident. I watched the first two periods then switched to the footbal game and missed it.

13. Dig Out Your Soul

They both got 5 minute majors, plus a match penalty to Stewart for the spear. The Russian was indeed supposed to be in the dressing room.

14. therealdeal

Oh wow, so he could be in some trouble then eh?

15. Dig Out Your Soul

He better be. 5 minute major for multiple crosschecks to the head, then he comes off the bench to attack a player from behind and then repeated abuse of officials. He should not only be suspended for the remainder of the Canada-Russia challenge, he shouldn't even be allowed to play in the World Juniors (if he's even good enough, I don't know).

Similarly with Stewart, I hope he doesn't get a training camp invite after his stupid move either.

16. The Viking Fury

The Viking Fury Registered User

How's McNeill doing?

17. Slitty

Slitty Registered User

Zubarev is the captain of this ADT Challange team; he has the most RSL experience, is the only player on the team to play in last year's World Juniors, and is the team's best defenceman. Consequently he has the best shot at playing in Sweden this year out of the team's several borderline blueliners. He is more likely to be at this year's World Juniors than not, but is not necessairlly guaranteed a spot. He is also known to be rather hotheaded and very rowdy, even off the ice.

He may be, under some regulation, suspended from the remainder of the Canada-Russia challenge... but what organizational body is going to take action against him on a broader scale and prevent him from potentially playing at the WJC? The IIHF has no jurisdiction over the ADT challange, and you can bet your bottom the RHF isn't going to step in with disciplinary measures, especially if they feel Zubarev could be of help to the WJC team. I understand Zubarev was frustrated at being so overmatched, but behavior like that has no place in hockey at all - and especially in a non-competative exhibitional series like this one.

18. Dig Out Your Soul

Thanks for the info on the player. Only 2 games and no names on the jerseys makes it hard to identify players and their skill level.

And no, nothing will come of his WJC eligibility or lack thereof at this point. I'm just a little steamed at the number of things he did in that game and being suspended from 2 meaningless all-star games doesn't seem like a fair enough punishment.

19. shveik

shveik Registered User

Inspired dilettante
    Home Page:
    I did not think Zubarev was penalized on the Stewart incident, or at least I was as confused about it as the broadcast crew. They put up 5min Russian power play on the time ticker after they have shown Stewart leave to the dressing room, and they were also showing Zubarev on the russian bench, but not in the penalty box. As for the spear, I do not think that crosscheck was the only reason for it, I am wondering if Zubarev knows enough English to say something nasty. I am saying this because as far as crosschecks to the head go, that was a pretty weak one. It's dirty nevertheless, just like any blow to the head, but calling it vicious is like calling Downey's shave job on McQuaid a vicious tomahawk chop.

20. canucksfan

Home Page:
    I checked the box score and it says that Lange was the one that went after Downie and flipped out on the linesman.

21. weezman

weezman Guest

There are some video highlights at sportsnet.ca.

22. orcatown

orcatown Registered User

Home Page:
    Terrible spear by Stewart. Just disgusting. Tainted anything the rest of the team did.

He could have put the Russian kid in hospital. Lucky that the guy wasn't more seriously hurt or criminal charges could have been brought.

Gutless play by Stewart.

23. Holly Gunning

Holly Gunning Registered User

Home Page:
    My understanding is that his English is passable, yes.

24. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

Some of you are blind. It was a jab. As far as the crosscheck being harmless, it was with 10 times the force that the spear was. always get a kick out of the "Brian Williamses" of this nation who invariable blame the Canadian in any international incident. Zubarev started it without provocation, and if I had been Stewart I'd have pounded the crap out of him. The spear wasn't the right reaction, but to vilify Stewart only is a joke.

The coach should be suspended for the rest of the challenge. Not sending Zubarev to the dressing room and allowing him to jump back on the ice was unconscionable.

25. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I'm still not reading anything very conclusive now "the morning after". :(

http://www.leaguestat.com/chl/canrus/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=40

The boxscore has at least been changed to show that Lange got the penalties at the end, not Zubarev, so perhaps it was just a case of the announcers getting it wrong, since Zubarev should indeed have been at least in the penalty box for his cross-checking major if not in the dressing room. It was hard to follow in the heat of the moment, I wasn't looking at jersey numbers, just going by what the broadcasters were saying.

The OHL story still has the old boxscore showing Zubarev with the match penalties.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=2727

:dunno: