OHL Trades 2017-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I really doubt the powers that be care about how far out trades are going. If they did they would have stopped it already. When it gets out to say 15 years they might start to think it's odd because those kids haven't been conceived as of yet. Their parents will still be teenagers and on their first date. :eek:

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Wow that is a huge price for Day and Vilardi. Vilardi hasn't played a game this year has he? Day will be gone next year, doubtful OA, correct?

Yes the price is today's going rate. The thing that is most important, Kingston gets 2 players that may very well be their best players!

Reactions: LDN

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Dogs trade Shankar to Windsor for a 7th round pick. They are making room for Constantinou to pick up more minutes. Thank you Zach for your efforts...you were good for our young team.

Reactions: the dog

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I really doubt the powers that be care about how far out trades are going. If they did they would have stopped it already. When it gets out to say 15 years they might start to think it's odd because those kids haven't been conceived as of yet. Their parents will still be teenagers and on their first date. :eek:

The team governors decide this stuff. There's obviously enough of them that don't mind trading in futures.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

As long as the powers that be want the OHL representative at the Memorial cup every year to ice the best possible team they can, every rule, or lack thereof, will be kept in place to ensure the formation of a super team or best team possible to represent the OHL at the Memorial cup. If you put a ton of restrictions on player/pick movement, teams won't be able to load up like they have been over the last 10 or 15 years and therefore, weaker teams will represent the OHL at the Memorial cup.

Also, the powers that be can also make the argument that it is better to send multiple picks, no matter how distant they are, back-and-forth in trades instead of players. Even though this league allows trades, it also like to have the least amount of player movement as possible so they can advertise that when competing with the NCAA for prospects.

One of the things that the NCAA brings up when trying to convince a player to report to their program is that the player will be in their for four years. The player knows he will not be traded to an undesirable destination.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As long as the powers that be want the OHL representative at the Memorial cup every year to ice the best possible team they can, every rule, or lack thereof, will be kept in place to ensure the formation of a super team or best team possible to represent the OHL at the Memorial cup. If you put a ton of restrictions on player/pick movement, teams won't be able to load up like they have been over the last 10 or 15 years and therefore, weaker teams will represent the OHL at the Memorial cup.

Also, the powers that be can also make the argument that it is better to send multiple picks, no matter how distant they are, back-and-forth in trades instead of players. Even though this league allows trades, it also like to have the least amount of player movement as possible so they can advertise that when competing with the NCAA for prospects.

One of the things that the NCAA brings up when trying to convince a player to report to their program is that the player will be in their for four years. The player knows he will not be traded to an undesirable destination.

Some really great points. Most of which have not been presented before, or at least I haven't seen them presented.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

A player may be traded for his own son in that case. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
A player may be traded for his own son in that case. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I heard the governors are working on a time machine with Steven Hawkins so that they can look into the future and see what the kid will look like on skates in twenty years.;) Maybe the Spits will have the next Gretzky skating out there somewhere on hover skates.

Reactions: BoxerMax

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

It will also allow the team surrendering the draft picks time to replenish their draft cupboard without really affecting the on ice product for their fans!
Afterall, isn't that better for the league than have a team void of picks and icing a team below what the league standards should be?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A sort of virtual league.

I'd like to see a feature where fans can vote on two trades each season for their team .

They'd have to prove they actually watch the team by showing used ticket stubs snd could only vote once a week and in person at the clubs office .

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
A sort of virtual league.

I'd like to see a feature where fans can vote on two trades each season for their team .

They'd have to prove they actually watch the team by showing used ticket stubs snd could only vote once a week and in person at the clubs office .

I'd even take a before Xmas break update from managers with a call in show with league teams sports reporters from local newsrooms twice a year once in the beginning of the season and once around trade deadline time even for fans to voice questions to the GM's on simple questions like why they traded for certain players or why they didn't.

The rest would be up to the GM's themselves on what they would release but at least fans would have a better understanding of why teams make certain deals.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It will also allow the team surrendering the draft picks time to replenish their draft cupboard without really affecting the on ice product for their fans!
Afterall, isn't that better for the league than have a team void of picks and icing a team below what the league standards should be?

To be honest, the only argument against dealing draft picks years down the road is, "Oh my God! They're trading 5 and 6 year olds. It's embarrassing!"

At the end of the day, is that any real argument at all? Not really.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
To be honest, the only argument against dealing draft picks years down the road is, "Oh my God! They're trading 5 and 6 year olds. It's embarrassing!"

Perfectly said! Those draft picks are assets...that's it.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Had a conversation with Farwell and his major complaint was "it's too easy"!...My reply was "So what!"
Geesch..."it's too easy"!!!!!!!...as if thats even close to being a reason to stop these trades!
Anyone who's against these types of trades has never came back with one even close legit reason why it's not proper.
While most of us see the common sense behind these trades!

Reactions: EvenSteven

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Had a conversation with Farwell and his major complaint was "it's too easy"!...My reply was "So what!"
Geesch..."it's too easy"!!!!!!!...as if thats even close to being a reason to stop these trades!
Anyone who's against these types of trades has never came back with one even close legit reason why it's not proper.
While most of us see the common sense behind these trades!

who actually likes farwell? he seems like he cares more about 'hot takes' then actually calling a good game/broadcasting? i have also yet to meet anyone under the age of 50 who cares the slightest about the three star thing.

its like he cares more about being noticed then just calling a game?

Reactions: StorminNorman

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
That's the biggest steal of the year if true. It should be Pu+ for Dunkley. You could argue that it's barely a downgrade for London.
London has once again found the most desperate trading partner; Fronts not having been past the first round since 1993 are trying to make some noise; bad idea. They pick up 3 guys who couldn't care less about being in Kingston and are only playing out their final days and looking to the NHL. A steal indeed.

Reactions: SRW

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
who actually likes farwell? he seems like he cares more about 'hot takes' then actually calling a good game/broadcasting? i have also yet to meet anyone under the age of 50 who cares the slightest about the three star thing.

its like he cares more about being noticed then just calling a game?
i agree.. but at least now that the rangers have been winning he has sort of stopped whining about the referring ALL the time it gets tiresome last year he was terrible constantly whining with a side of homer just to really make you sick ....so why do i listen...i have no idea......

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
i have also yet to meet anyone under the age of 50 who cares the slightest about the three star thing

The Three Star Awards started in 1936 when new game sponsor Imperial Oil was promoting their new 3 Star Gasoline.

When the sponsorship ended in the 1970's, the National Hockey League continued the 3 Star Awards.
So it really was all about advertising some 80 years ago. Nothing more.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Three Star Awards started in 1936 when new game sponsor Imperial Oil was promoting their new 3 Star Gasoline.

When the sponsorship ended in the 1970's, the National Hockey League continued the 3 Star Awards.
So it really was all about advertising some 80 years ago. Nothing more.

I don’t even think he cares that much, he just wants something to complain about

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Jan. 6ERTaylor Raddysh
Jordan Sambrook
SSMHayden Fowler
SSM 3 2018
SSM 6 2018
FLNT 2 2019
GUE 2 2020
SSM 2 2021
SSM 6 2021