OHL suspends two players for doping violations

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Jan 14, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

2. Killion

Killion Registered User

A bit ham handed IMO. The guys bought nutritional supplements over the counter without realizing they contained a banned substance. Its not like their was anything nefarious going on. Separate teams. Sure, it sends a strong message, however, I think a league-wide educational program rather than punishment would be a more appropriate response. He's just labeled a couple of kids in his haste to send a message. Great message, wrong way to deliver it. :shakehead

3. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

True, but WADA pushes a one year ban for first instance, not a "mere" 8 games.

4. Killion

Killion Registered User

I dont have a problem with that LS. If someone is knowingly taking performance enhancing drugs, available over or under the counter or through their trainer, they should be banned. It may seem like a doublestandard, but I dont see how a 16yr old hockey player buying "greens" or whatever from a Shoppers Drugmart or Walmart, containing banned substances in many instances, warrants sledge hammer justice. Is the kid an idiot for taking whatever?. Likely. In these cases, education, not punishment needs to be administered. If it was a group, more than 1 on the same team, Id say their could well be a problem & a bans appropriate. Is it possible that their's a sub-culture, a dirty little secret in the Major Juniors of using performance enhancing drugs that has also permeated its way into the NHL over the past couple of decades?. Quite possibly.

5. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon Registered User

By WADA rules you are responsible for checking if anything you're taking contains a banned substance or not. None of this "I didn't know it contained a banned substance" stuff. I have heard that there is a "master list" of permitted supplements that everyone has access to, and as long as you stick to that list you should be fine.

6. Dado

Dado Guest

Kick WADA to the curb, let players take anything they like under a doctor's supervision, and let's all get back to just watching the games.

7. Killion

Killion Registered User

Ya, I get it. Ignorance is no defence. Learned that lesson the hard way long long ago. :laugh: Cut the kids some slack.

Frankensports.... :shakehead

8. Dado

Dado Guest

Shrug.

The difference between medicine and poison is the size of the dose.

By historical standards, today's athletes are already playing "frankensports", see no reason why those with the willingness and ability to push the boundaries of human capability should be held back from doing so.

9. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

Pretty stiff penalties for Junior players. Especially for stuff that is over the counter.

I would love to see the CHL take a firm stance on doping......but this seem nit-picky to me.

I bet these players had no idea they were taking anything that wasn't allowed. Which should be the point. If you take something you KNOW isn't allowed....you get penalized big time.

This? This seems like a misunderstanding. Nothing more.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Mr. Reality

The issue of WADA having anything to do with this is irrelevant since its not doing the testing.

The testing in the CHL is being done by the CCES.

11. danishh

danishh Registered User

wada sets the guidelines, dont they?

I'm not just saying this because that dick was my chancellor.

12. Killion

Killion Registered User

:laugh::handclap: Was wondering how to add that pound to the wheelbarrow.

13. kingpest19

kingpest19 Registered User

They have a master list of banned substances but one for permitted supplements? Dont see WADA doing something like that. As for this case, if they had jurisdiction, theres a good chance that they wouldnt have been suspended because WADA knows this is a substance that pops up in OTC supplements and can be ingested inadvertently.