OHL suspends player for "slur" on Steve Downie

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
copperandblue said:
Yeah and your likely not going to hear any LA King players talk negatively about Avery either or St Louis players talk negatively about Danton.

At any rate, I don't follow the guy and I certainly can't talk with any confidence about what kind of a guy he really is but it does seem that everytime the guys name hits the news it is for something less than stellar. Be it the hazing, the fighting with the team mate, the style of play he employs, the BS diving at the World Jrs.

Admittedly not all are a testiment to wether he is a stand up guy or not (depending on how an individual chooses to define it) but in the context I meant it, these are the types of incidents/comments I based it on.

As far as who reported it to the league, I wasn't implying conclusively that Downey was the one, I was just questioning where it came from. If the ref was the one who reported it (thanks for the info by the way) then it's baffeling to say the least. I have heard guys say worse in my beer league where the emotions and stakes aren't nearly as high.

If the ref doesn't report it then history suggests it probably came from the guy who was the target, which is obviously where the Downey question came from.

If you think Downie has character issues, then you can ask Brian Sutter what he thinks about Steve Downie. And the last time I checked, Brian Sutter had nothing but positive things to say about Steve and the player he is. And to be honest, I'll take his word over anyone else on here.

Transported Upstater

Shabutie said:
The term Gay is used daily. "Man cricket is sooooo gay". It's basicaly an alternate for "lame", I don't see it as an insult to gay's. F-g word can be used as an insult, but I don't think it should result in a 5 game suspension that's ridiculous. Their's always going to be trash talking in the game and, if anything the more offensive slurs should only get a 2 minute for un-sportsmanlike imo.

Using the word "gay" as an insult implies there is something pathetic and disturbing about being homosexual.

Which is why using that word in that way is an inbred, Pejorative Slured and ignorant thing to do, and it needs to stop.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
TransportedUpstater said:
Using the word "gay" as an insult implies there is something pathetic and disturbing about being homosexual.

Which is why using that word in that way is an inbred, Pejorative Slured and ignorant thing to do, and it needs to stop.
I agree, I'm just saying that if it is used as an insult, I just think there shouldn't be more than a 2min for unsportsmanlike. Unless it's something REALLY bad.

Roy G Biv*

Shabutie said:
I agree, I'm just saying that if it is used as an insult, I just think there shouldn't be more than a 2min for unsportsmanlike. Unless it's something REALLY bad.

I DO think a multi-game suspension is a little much, but I assume the OHL is trying to make a point.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think the league should worry more about humiliating homonormative hazing rituals like "pickle races" before they start cracking down on insults like "queer".

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
If you think Downie has character issues, then you can ask Brian Sutter what he thinks about Steve Downie. And the last time I checked, Brian Sutter had nothing but positive things to say about Steve and the player he is. And to be honest, I'll take his word over anyone else on here.

It's your prerogative to take Sutter's word for it. Believe me when I say that I am not trying to convince anyone of anything in regards to Downey.

My own conclusions, based on my admittedly limited knowledge, is that the guy is a bit of a clown. I wouldn't expect a guy like Sutter or a team mate or anyone else that has loyalties to a team he plays on to comment on him in a negative way even if they wanted to. I also wouldn't get bent out of shape by someone on a message board suggesting such a thing.

As an aside, are you sure it was Brian Sutter and not Brent Sutter?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Shabutie said:
Fair enough, and it's not that I disagree with your point there, 2min would've sufficed in my mind.

I just don't get how you can say calling something gay, i.e. lame, isn't an insult to gays. It'd be like if on the boards we started calling being a gigantic homer "being a Shabutie." It would be done just to insult you. Or in a more real world context, do you also think it's not insulting to Jews when people refer to stinginess as being "Jewish" or getting ripped off as getting "Jewed?" It's all attaching a negative assocation to a person or group of people. And when the connotation is essentialy "bad and disliked," like the colloquial use of "gay," that's a pretty insulting thing to say.

Transported Upstater

Shabutie said:

OK, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Sorry for the confusion.

I just hope people eventually get to the point when the word "f@g" is as forbidden as the N-word, and is no longer used as an insult.

I said it when I was a kid. I'm ashamed of that.

Redden Punches Faces*

Seph said:
I just don't get how you can say calling something gay, i.e. lame, isn't an insult to gays. It'd be like if on the boards we started calling being a gigantic homer "being a Shabutie." It would be done just to insult you. Or in a more real world context, do you also think it's not insulting to Jews when people refer to stinginess as being "Jewish" or getting ripped off as getting "Jewed?" It's all attaching a negative assocation to a person or group of people. And when the connotation is essentialy "bad and disliked," like the colloquial use of "gay," that's a pretty insulting thing to say.

DING DING DING!!!! we have a winner. There was a discussion about this issue on the Sens board regarding the local sports radio station. The amount of people that don't realize what they are saying most of the time is incredible.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Seph said:
Fair enough, and it's not that I disagree with your point there, 2min would've sufficed in my mind.

I get were you're coming from, and it is an insult. But I don't think it's seen as an insult as much as it would have been, 10-20 years ago simply cuz you hear it so often nowadays. I'm not saying it's right. They're both very stupid terms and they shouldn't be used in any situation.

Victory Ali*

Man this thread turned into a hyper-sensitive group of white people debating over a pointless issue.

Have any of you played sports or been in a heated contest of some sort? I'm guessing not. Especially in a finals or a playoff game? I used to play a high level sport as a 15 year old with guys in their 20s and 30s with money and bragging rights on the line. You don't think some words and harassment was dropped trying to throw each others off their game? Man... that's just competitve sport.

There's got to be some extensive details to this. Like verbal abuse of a ref or failing to comply with repeated warnings. I highly doubt the OHL would suspend a guy for one use of the word "***" on the ice.

The only thing of merit in this thread was the Kevin Stevens video :D :biglaugh:

vcx*

Wild GM said:
So if he calls Downie the "n" word, since he's not, it's ok?

Thats the biggest over-statement of a comment i have ever seen. So if i call someone an idiot and he hits me, its ok if i call him a racial slur even if it isn't, because i'll get the same result? Give me a break.

I hear people say "oh your such a homo" and something close to that maybe add a few swear words. What if a british player calls Downie a F** and is trying to refer to him as a dirty cigarette, a cancer, will he get suspended because he just uses that word?

Taking away trash talk like that from the game is dumb, i'm sure back in the day players called other euro players commies and etc, now its just "oh your a f**" as long as its not a racial slur or hey if he says all gays are losers like you downie, then maybe the suspension is warranted if Downie is infact gay.

This kind of stuff, going over board with it, just causes too much grief.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Kanye West said:
12 million slaves

2 million dead before they reach North America...

gay's ain't got nuthin on us. rather everything is being done by society to make us accept them and NOT treat them baddly. Something im sure my grandparents could've used a while back in the states.

p.s. gay's have been accepted and hated by society for a while (or homosexual acts). Since the origin of Christmas is a Roman pagan holiday in which everyone would go crazy and have orgies with everyone. Yes that includes men and men, and women with women, with animals you name it. They would take bums of the streets and make them kings etc... If ppl knew they're own history they would know that homosexuality has been around for a while (im talking about certain closed minded ppl and some of these new teen homosexual's at school who don't even know about their own... pathetic.)

anyways this was an awkward rant. pls don't mark me down as a homo-phobic, i'm not.

I just have Straight Pride... [Facebook.com]

if comparing histories of victimization to downplay the oppression of another group isn't really invidious, what is it? pathetic?

this kind of b.s. hits a nerve. i'm often sickened by the irrational distrust that exists between blacks, jews, gays, and asians toward the others. all are at fault, and it serves nobody (except those who like to manipulate knee-jerk reactions for political and monetary gain).

the relevance of this remark to the conversation: the above rant is completely irrelevant. an injustice or harm against one group is never mitigated by a harm against another group.

whether yellings of f** by late adolescent boys constitutes a harm or injustice is quite another mantter. the question in my mind is: does the hockey community want to make hockey safe for openly gay players? if 'yes', getting rid of derogatory comments seems a logical place to start.

cheers,

dan-o

Mar 1, 2002
hotwheels said:
What if a british player calls Downie a F** and is trying to refer to him as a dirty cigarette, a cancer, will he get suspended because he just uses that word?

That's the dumbest thing I've read on this thread.

1)There are no british hockey players over here.
2)brits wouldn't call someone a "***" referring to a cig

That's like saying if I called you a ****sucker, I meant a chicken, not a ****.

Roy G Biv*

SeattleCanucksFan said:
Man this thread turned into a hyper-sensitive group of white people debating over a pointless issue.

The only thing of merit in this thread was the Kevin Stevens video :D :biglaugh:

White people? Good preface to the meat of your post. The rest is as insightful.

Thanks for coming in here and saving the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->