OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 30 for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Jeff Corbett, Dman for the Sudbury Wolves and late 94 birthdate, is very underated by most people. I love that he's finally getting the attention he deserves as he has sky rocketed up the rankings to 66th among NA skaters. He ranks among the top-5 draft eligible OHL defencemen which is very impressive (Nurse, Bigras, Zadorov, Corbett, Harpur). Corbett has now become a top pairing Dman for the Wolves with the departure of Corrado and Sefton and he has gained alot more ice time with this. He is a terrific skater and plays solid shut down defence, also has good size 6'2 with good reach can still fill out a bit more and needs to work on his offensive side of the game. Corbett has alot of tools NHL scouts drool over, I predict he will be drafted anywhere from the 2nd to 3rd round in the upcoming NHL draft!

Don't put too much stock in Central Scouting Rankings because they don't mean anything. There are players who are ranked low by CSS and get drafted high, and players ranked high who are drafted low or aren't drafted at all. In the end its all about how the players are ranked on the individual's team lists. I know players who aren't even on the list that scouts really like.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
if you filter out the OHL players from the CSS Midterm 2013 North American that came out recently, you get this list. I listed 40 because I seen a few that were not 95 born (or late 94), so those would have to be taken out. I don't feel like checking every birth date.

-----------------------------------------
1- MONAHAN, SEAN
2- NURSE, DARNELL
3- HORVAT, BO
4- DICKINSON, JASON
5- RYCHEL, KERBY
6- BIGRAS, CHRIS
7- DOMI, MAX
8- HARTMAN, RYAN
9- LODGE, JIMMY
10- ZADOROV, NIKITA
11- NASTASIUK, ZACH
12- BAILEY, JUSTIN
13- HARPER, STEPHEN
14- MOUTREY, NICK
15- ELIE, REMI
16- CASSELS, COLE
17- CORBETT, JEFF
18- KUJAWINSKI, RYAN
19- AUGER, JUSTIN
20- HARPUR, BEN
21- SUBBAN, JORDAN
22- GARLENT, HUNTER
23- LIBERATI, MILES
24- BURNSIDE, JOSHUA
25- BRACE, CAMERON
26- PAUL, NICHOLAS
27- BAPTISTE, NICHOLAS
28- BETZ, NICK
29- SILK, BRODY
30- PLATZER, KYLE
31- VERHAEGHE, CARTER
32- BRADFORD, ERIK
33- PEDERSEN, BRENT
34- HALL, ZACH
35- KUPTSOV, SERGEY
36- KUBALIK, DOMINIK
37- RAYCROFT, MARK
38- BROWN, JOSHUA
39- MERMIS, DAKOTA
40- WEBSTER, MICHAEL

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/01/nhl-central-scoutings-2013-midterm.html

Here's a full breakdown of the players from the OHL.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Jeff Corbett, Dman for the Sudbury Wolves and late 94 birthdate, is very underated by most people. I love that he's finally getting the attention he deserves as he has sky rocketed up the rankings to 66th among NA skaters. He ranks among the top-5 draft eligible OHL defencemen which is very impressive (Nurse, Bigras, Zadorov, Corbett, Harpur). Corbett has now become a top pairing Dman for the Wolves with the departure of Corrado and Sefton and he has gained alot more ice time with this. He is a terrific skater and plays solid shut down defence, also has good size 6'2 with good reach can still fill out a bit more and needs to work on his offensive side of the game. Corbett has alot of tools NHL scouts drool over, I predict he will be drafted anywhere from the 2nd to 3rd round in the upcoming NHL draft!

NHL Central Scouting will be the first to admit that their rankings are meant for NHL teams to use a guide when trying to determine who they should see in the second half of the season. It's not like an agency such as Redline, who ranks as if they were an NHL team, drafting. That's sort of what sets them apart, and I think it's the reason we sometimes see very obscure rankings from them.

For me, the Corbett ranking came out of left field. I've seen Sudbury quite a few times (especially live) in the past couple of years. To be honest, I've never really noticed Corbett, other than for being a fairly sturdy stay at home defenseman. Every team in the league can attest to having a player or two like that who just doesn't generate NHL interest. That said, bravo NHL Central Scouting, you've done your job. DO I agree with the ranking? No, I don't see it. The next time I see Sudbury play will I focus more on Corbett? Absolutely.

bidzey*

NHL Central Scouting will be the first to admit that their rankings are meant for NHL teams to use a guide when trying to determine who they should see in the second half of the season. It's not like an agency such as Redline, who ranks as if they were an NHL team, drafting. That's sort of what sets them apart, and I think it's the reason we sometimes see very obscure rankings from them.

For me, the Corbett ranking came out of left field. I've seen Sudbury quite a few times (especially live) in the past couple of years. To be honest, I've never really noticed Corbett, other than for being a fairly sturdy stay at home defenseman. Every team in the league can attest to having a player or two like that who just doesn't generate NHL interest. That said, bravo NHL Central Scouting, you've done your job. DO I agree with the ranking? No, I don't see it. The next time I see Sudbury play will I focus more on Corbett? Absolutely.

I live in Sudbury and I don't even know Corbett, I'm too busy watching Owen Sound on Roger's :)

thanks for the article by the way

Last edited by a moderator:

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Don't put too much stock in Central Scouting Rankings because they don't mean anything. There are players who are ranked low by CSS and get drafted high, and players ranked high who are drafted low or aren't drafted at all. In the end its all about how the players are ranked on the individual's team lists. I know players who aren't even on the list that scouts really like.

Couldnt have agreed with you more.

Too may games with the CSS staff, and their hockey buddies:shakehead:shakehead

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009

Corbett is a very sturdy, no nonsense dman and definitely deserves to be #66 amongst OHL skaters.

Pacesetter

Sep 17, 2012
NASTASIUK, shouldn't even be in the top 50 let alone top 20...........anybody care to comment.

bidzey*

NASTASIUK, shouldn't even be in the top 50 let alone top 20...........anybody care to comment.

Nasty is an awesome forchecker and a really good PK player. OS PK status wouldn't be half what it is without him. He's a real pain in the butt to play against, and I wouldn't want him to go anywhere as a OS fan. His passing ability is higher than average. He was "Attacker of the Week" last week and well deserved!

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Nasty is an awesome forchecker and a really good PK player. OS PK status wouldn't be half what it is without him. He's a real pain in the butt to play against, and I wouldn't want him to go anywhere as a OS fan. His passing ability is higher than average. He was "Attacker of the Week" last week and well deserved!

I don't cheer for any OHL club, I just like to watch whatever hockey I can, but I would agree with this assessment. I like Nastasiuk's game and it game translates more to the pro game. Top 50 isn't a stretch.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
As far as Corbett goes, since Sudbury has moved Corrado and Sefton he's definitely proving he's worth that ranking. He an absolute rock in the defensive zone, and when he steps up physically he can really lay some people out. Offensively his skills have come a long way too as he demonstrated with a beautiful goal on Friday night. He's definitely one to watch in the 2nd half. Especially if they keep him on PP1 with the big line of Baptiste, Campagna and Pancel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->