OHL Prospects 2019 NHL Mock Draft (Top 50)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This is now an annual tradition. As I always mention, while I cover the OHL extensively, I'm a hockey prospect nut in general and as such, have a fair amount of knowledge of the other players available.

This is looking like such a difficult year to predict at the draft. Even within the top two, uncertainty has crept in thanks to the way Kaapo Kakko finished his season. And outside of that, the true mysteries begin at number 3. So many different scenarios. What the Blackhawks do at number 3 will shape the rest of the draft. Obviously, this is a down year for the OHL and that is reflected in my mock draft (at least in the earlier picks). And from a personal stand point, I must admit that I am not the world's biggest fan of this draft crop, in general. I see a lot of potential, but I also see a lot of question marks, even in the projected lottery selections.

Of course, like any mock draft before the culmination of the playoffs...my Stanley Cup prediction is sure to be a conversation piece.

Here's my first round mock draft.

1. New Jersey Devils - Jack Hughes (USDP, USHL)
Hughes to New Jersey no longer looks like a slam dunk. It is not as obvious as it was once thought to be. Kakko's performance at the World Championships really sold a lot of people. That said, I still think that the Devils go with Hughes. He's far from a polished product physically, yet he has managed to succeed in every way possible thus far. He is such a dynamic player with the puck and is a true franchise center, one of the most difficult things to find at the draft. This gives New Jersey some real flexibility moving forward. They could move Nico Hischier to the wing (as he has struggled to win faceoffs consistently), or allow them to form a terrific one/two punch moving forward.

2. New York Rangers - Kaapo Kakko (TPS Turku, Liiga)
The New York Rangers have the easiest decision here. It's Hughes or Kakko. Either way, they are getting what would appear to be a potential franchise building block. In this scenario, Kakko gives a rebuilding Rangers team another potential offensive star along with the likes of Kravtsov and Chytil. His combination of size, strength, and skill is so impressive. What he was able to do against many NHL players at this year's World Championships was on the same level as Patrik Laine in 2016 and Jaromir Jagr in 1990.

3. Chicago Blackhawks - Alex Turcotte (USDP, USHL)
I think most people feel pretty comfortable with the fact that defender Bowen Byram is the 3rd best player available this year. But an argument could be made that Chicago's top four prospects (if you have Evan Barratt at #5) are all defenders (Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell, Beaudin), thanks to the fact that the team's last three first round picks were defensemen. I know you don't draft based on need, but picking this high for the first time since the Patrick Kane draft (2007), Chicago needs to make sure that they secure one of the top young centers available. For my money, that player is Alex Turcotte. I was so impressed by his tenacity and skill level at the U18's. I know there are some concerns about his injury issues, but this is a kid that could eventually turn into as good of a two-way threat as Jonathan Toews. Doesn't hurt that he's a local kid too.

4. Colorado Avalanche - Bowen Byram (Vancouver, WHL)
Look, I know that Colorado has Cale Makar coming into the fold. And I know that they already have some talented young defenders in the system (like Samuel Girard, Tyson Barrie, and if he gets healthy, Connor Timmins). But I just don't think that Colorado can pass up on the chance to take the 3rd best player available in this draft given how good their young roster already is. It gives them flexibility to move a defender (such as Barrie) to improve other parts of their roster. And Byram was such a force in the WHL this year. His playoff performance for Vancouver was out of this world, leading the WHL playoffs in scoring as a U18 player. Can you imagine a top pairing of Makar and Byram? Good luck NHL.

5. Los Angeles Kings - Matthew Boldy (USDP, USHL)
Probably not the most conventional selection here for Los Angeles. I know that the Kings need young players who can put the puck in the net. I have seen Cole Caufield here in some mock drafts, and it honestly wouldn't shock me one bit. But I'm just not sure I see Los Angeles taking guys like Dach, Cozens, or Zegras here because they profile similarly to the players that LA has drafted the last few years (Kupari, Vilardi, etc). So why Boldy? He strikes me as the type that NHL teams are going to covet more than armchair scouts do. The intangibles that he brings to the ice can not be measured. His hockey IQ and vision with the puck really impressed me at the U18's. As did his awareness in all three zones. I have seen some suggest that they feel Boldy is the type of kid who could win a Selke one day; a Mark Stone type of winger. And I think LA could put a ton of value in that and see Boldy as the perfect compliment to the young players that they have already brought into the fold.

6. Detroit Red Wings - Trevor Zegras (USDP, USHL)
Zegras is the kind of kid who really grows on you the more you see him play. His vision and playmaking ability are among the best in this draft. I know Ryan Wagman (of McKeens) is a massive fan and has seen him a ton this year. Last draft, the Wings finally started to drift away from a tendency to focus on size/physical tools over pure skill. And I think that continues as they try to re-tool and make the franchise a powerhouse of the Eastern Conference again. Zegras is just that, as they take him over slightly larger centers like Cozens and Dach in this scenario.

7. Buffalo Sabres - Kirby Dach (Saskatoon, WHL)
I know that size does not carry the same weight as it used to in the NHL, but it is without a doubt still important, especially when it comes to playoff success. Buffalo's biggest forward on the roster this year was 6'2, and only Eichel and Girgensons were at that mark. At 6'4, Dach has the length that this team could use in the offensive end. The talented playmaker does have some question marks over his consistency, but when he is on, he can be a real X Factor.

8. Edmonton Oilers - Dylan Cozens (Lethbridge, WHL)
One of the top skaters available this year, Cozens seems like the perfect fit for a team that wants to add more offensive talent who can play up tempo. Cozens also possesses the size, at 6'3, that the Oilers could use to help create some room for McDavid and Draisaitl. Whether Edmonton sees Cozens as a center or a winger long term remains to be seen, but he offers size, power, versatility, and skill and IMO is the exact type of player that this organization should be looking to add with their top 10 selection this year.

9. Anaheim Ducks - Cole Caufield (USDP, USHL)
Can the U.S. Under 18 team really have 5 of the first 9 selections this year? Not only is it possible, but it is starting to become quite likely. After breaking the program's goal scoring record this year, and tying Ovechkin's goal mark at the U18's, Caufield has rocketed up draft charts as the top pure goal scorer available. Sure he is undersized, but it has not stopped him yet. To me, it makes sense that the team that finished last in the NHL in goals this year, look to add one of the best goal scorers we have seen come through the draft in years.

10. Vancouver Canucks - Peyton Krebs (Kootenay/Winnipeg, WHL)
Krebs' versatility is going to be very attractive to the Canucks here. He can play center or down the wing. He is equal parts goal scorer and playmaker. He excels in all three zones. Because of how poor his team was in Kootenay this year, scouts had a bit of a tough time getting a read on him. But he performed well at the U18's and looks to be a potential top 6 forward who can be a great option behind Boeser, and Pettersson in the future.

For the rest of the Top 50, see the link. OHL Prospects: 2019 NHL Mock Draft

As always, happy to answer any questions.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I find it interesting that you have the Americans generally going before the WHL’ers - is that more a function of the teams drafting or where you think the talent levels are?

And, despite the so called down year for the OHL, do you think any players could surprisingly move into the top ten?

Great mock!

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Great mock and reasoning, Brock! Your Carolina-pick in the 1st is very interesting considering Dundon's comments on 1st-rounders and D's :)

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Great mock and reasoning, Brock! You're Carolina-pick in the 1st is very interesting considering Dundon's comments on 1st-rounders and D's :)

He's not wrong though. Ryan Johnson sounds like he is in the same mold as Slavin or Pesce. Heady two-way D with excellent skating and gap control.

I like how this mock falls for Carolina, even with Grewe, Suzuki, and Rees going just before the Canes pick. Personally I'd go:
#28 - Brink
#36 - Puistola
#37 - Hoglander/Mastrosimone

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
He's not wrong though. Ryan Johnson sounds like he is in the same mold as Slavin or Pesce. Heady two-way D with excellent skating and gap control.

I like how this mock falls for Carolina, even with Grewe, Suzuki, and Rees going just before the Canes pick. Personally I'd go:
#28 - Brink
#36 - Puistola
#37 - Hoglander/Mastrosimone

That would be good. And I can see Rees still being there at 28 - personally I wouldn’t hesitate to take him there

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I find it interesting that you have the Americans generally going before the WHL’ers - is that more a function of the teams drafting or where you think the talent levels are?

And, despite the so called down year for the OHL, do you think any players could surprisingly move into the top ten?

Great mock!

Personally, I prefer the USDP kids over the WHL kids in this draft. So I think that "bias," if you will, has crept into them going before the WHL'ers. Although it's also looking at draft tendency and what those organizations may value or require.

And I really don't see any OHL kids going in the top 10 this year. I'd be downright shocked if it happened. I think a guy like Kaliyev is more likely to fall, rather than rise. Perhaps the one guy who MAYBE creeps in would be Thomas Harley because of the high upside he possesses due to his size and skating combination.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I like the mock but why no Dorofeyev? What are your concerns with him?

I guess I'm just not sold on him. I know the MHL stats are impressive, but here's a kid who hasn't played a ton Internationally for his country where GM's and head scouts might get a better look at players. Average sized winger and the KHL factor thrown in. Additionally, he may be the player in this draft that I am the least familiar with.

Reactions: Leon Draisaitl

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I have nothing against Cam York, he's worth drafting around #14. I'm just not sure he can help the Coyotes much. Their current depth at LD signed/controlled past next year includes

OEL
Hjalmarsson (old and plays right side)
Goligoski (old)
Chychrun
Oesterle
Capobianco
POJ
Bahl

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I have nothing against Cam York, he's worth drafting around #14. I'm just not sure he can help the Coyotes much. Their current depth at LD signed/controlled past next year includes

OEL
Hjalmarsson (old and plays right side)
Goligoski (old)
Chychrun
Oesterle
Capobianco
POJ
Bahl

I would counter with the fact that would the Yotes truly be happy with the development of the majority of those players?

As you mentioned, Hjalmarsson and Goligoski would probably no longer be Arizona property by the time York is ready for an NHL role.

Chychrun has had his injury issues.

Oesterle seems to be a replacement level player to me and may not be a long term NHL'er.

Capobianco has done well in the AHL so far, but as someone who is very familiar with him from his OHL days, will his defense ever be good enough for him to be more than a third pairing, secondary PP unit defender?

PO Joseph remains a wild card, who by all accounts, didn't really take much of a huge step forward in his final QMJHL season.

Kevin Bahl remains a long term project.

And even then...do you draft strictly by long term needs when those needs can change quickly through trade/signings? I think it's definitely something that NHL teams look at, but is most definitely not the deciding/final factor when selecting a player.

Over the last three seasons, Arizona has the worst powerplay percentage in the NHL at just over 16%. All I am saying is that I could see the Yotes targeting some of the talented offensive defenders (York, Harley, Broberg) in that range.

Reactions: VikingAv and lanky

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
@Brock - What's your opinions on N.Robertson? I seem to have him much higher than others. I love his skill set and work ethic.

I have him late teens (I don't have a final list just yet), and I would like to know if there are any knocks on him that have a lot of mocks taking him later.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
@Brock - What's your opinions on N.Robertson? I seem to have him much higher than others. I love his skill set and work ethic.

I have him late teens (I don't have a final list just yet), and I would like to know if there are any knocks on him that have a lot of mocks taking him later.

I like Nick Robertson. On individual skill, he has to be considered one of the slickest players with the puck in this age group. His shot release is top notch too. And he's one of the youngest available this year, so lots of physical development likely still to come.

But he's an early second rounder for me. A guy I would consider in that 30-45 range. His agility and edgework are fantastic. Makes him difficult to contain. But for a smaller guy, I wish he were a little quicker; a little more explosive. But depending on who you ask, opinions on his skating vary from person to person.

And just the same, opinions on where he should be drafted are also all over the map. I would guarantee that there are a few NHL teams out there who have him on their first round board, just a matter of whether other guys ahead of him are still around or not.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I like Nick Robertson. On individual skill, he has to be considered one of the slickest players with the puck in this age group. His shot release is top notch too. And he's one of the youngest available this year, so lots of physical development likely still to come.

But he's an early second rounder for me. A guy I would consider in that 30-45 range. His agility and edgework are fantastic. Makes him difficult to contain. But for a smaller guy, I wish he were a little quicker; a little more explosive. But depending on who you ask, opinions on his skating vary from person to person.

And just the same, opinions on where he should be drafted are also all over the map. I would guarantee that there are a few NHL teams out there who have him on their first round board, just a matter of whether other guys ahead of him are still around or not.

Considering his birthdate and brothers' size, do you think it's realistic he grows 2-3 inches, and how would his skating be considered at that size, say 6'0"?
Personally, I would expect more physical growth from him, and that is a big reason I think he's very underrated in this draft. His brother's development is probably pushing that notion a bit as well, though with him it was specifically the skating that was the issue.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Considering his birthdate and brothers' size, do you think it's realistic he grows 2-3 inches, and how would his skating be considered at that size, say 6'0"?
Personally, I would expect more physical growth from him, and that is a big reason I think he's very underrated in this draft. His brother's development is probably pushing that notion a bit as well, though with him it was specifically the skating that was the issue.

Definitely possible. And definitely possible that as Nick gets stronger, the power behind his stride improves.

But also important to note that Nick was born very premature, which can obviously lead to him being smaller than his brother. Here's a good article on it.
U.S. Thanksgiving extra special for family of Peterborough Petes rookie Nick Robertson

Reactions: VikingAv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad