OHL Overagers Worth Signing

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Surprised no mention of Tommy Hughes... He's almost a clone of Marc Methot. Minus the fighting ability.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Can't help but feel Michael Kantor is a better candidate then a lot of the guys you mentioned in the top 10. Well rounded player who battles hard and physical just runs people over. Has to have some upside as a bottom 6er over some of the other guys on this list.

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i know its a little biased but if im an NHL GM im at least giving Brace a chance at next years camp. when he's on his game even at his size he generates offense and can bug the hell out of the other team. its those games when he's off that may be enough to scare away some GM's

Regardless he might end up finding his home and one of the university's in the Ottawa area (Carleton of U of O)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Surprised no mention of Tommy Hughes... He's almost a clone of Marc Methot. Minus the fighting ability.

Interesting. I guess you've got to see Hughes play on a nightly basis to truly appreciate him.

He's certainly developed into a solid OHL defenseman, but I certainly wouldn't consider him an NHL prospect. I remember watching Methot play with London and he impacted the game in more obvious ways than Hughes does. Even though Methot didn't put up huge offensive numbers, I remember him jumping up in the play at times and moving the puck effectively. I was always waiting for him to breakout offensively. He was also a much more physical player. When he played, he was one of the most feared stay at home guys in the league.

To each their own I suppose.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Can't help but feel Michael Kantor is a better candidate then a lot of the guys you mentioned in the top 10. Well rounded player who battles hard and physical just runs people over. Has to have some upside as a bottom 6er over some of the other guys on this list.

As I said in the article, I expected Kantor to be on this list at the beginning of the year. But he's had a bit of a disappointing season offensively (partly due to injuries, but still).

He's certainly got a shot of earning an NHL deal (otherwise I wouldn't have named him as an HM), but at this point I'd probably sign a guy like Alderson or Sabourin over him, if I was looking for a potential bottom six guy. Bigger guys who could probably hold up to the rigors of pro hockey a bit better.

Luvtowatch

Feb 21, 2012
i know its a little biased but if im an NHL GM im at least giving Brace a chance at next years camp. when he's on his game even at his size he generates offense and can bug the hell out of the other team. its those games when he's off that may be enough to scare away some GM's

Regardless he might end up finding his home and one of the university's in the Ottawa area (Carleton of U of O)

I love his game too. Brace is a real hockey player.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Absent. I admire Zweep for the role he plays for Owen Sound, and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. But he's not an NHL prospect. The way of the "heavyweight" is on its way to extinction.

It was tongue in cheek. Nice guy but you have to be able to play the game and to say that he is a poor skater is an understatement.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Steven Shipley dissapointed in Owen Sound and continued to dissapoint in Niagra, the fact that he is having a decent OA year does not change the fact that he has no edge to his game.
I expect that he will dissapoint at the University level as well!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Few guys I think are worthy of the list:
Steven Beyers
Joseph Cramarossa
Thoughts?

Cramarossa didn't qualify for those article because he's NHL drafted. His rights are owned by the Anaheim Ducks and they have until June 1st to sign him.

Beyers is a talented offensive player, but I don't think he's good enough in traffic to warrant NHL attention.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What about Kevin Bailie?

I know he's not with London anymore (Sounds like it has more to do with age and other considerations than actual performance) but his numbers, at least (Especially his save percentage), look pretty good.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
What about Kevin Bailie?

I know he's not with London anymore (Sounds like it has more to do with age and other considerations than actual performance) but his numbers, at least (Especially his save percentage), look pretty good.

Bailie was a nice overage acquisition by the Knights. He was brought in to help mentor Jake Patterson, and he did just that. He did a very admirable job on the ice too. But in terms of being an NHL prospect, he unfortunately is not much of one. No other team in the CHL picked him up off waivers and he's now playing in the Maritime Junior A league. He's the perfect candidate to be playing in the CIS next year, taking full advantage of his many years of OHL service.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Bailie was a nice overage acquisition by the Knights. He was brought in to help mentor Jake Patterson, and he did just that. He did a very admirable job on the ice too. But in terms of being an NHL prospect, he unfortunately is not much of one. No other team in the CHL picked him up off waivers and he's now playing in the Maritime Junior A league. He's the perfect candidate to be playing in the CIS next year, taking full advantage of his many years of OHL service.

Great! Nothing wrong with playing hockey in the Maritimes.

Thanks.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Rumour has it plus a couple of tweet out the say Tommy Hughes has signed a deal with the New York Rangers.

There was a tweet from former teammate D'Orazio congratulating him on the deal.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
What about Kevin Bailie?

Bailie is committed to Queen's (CIS) for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad