OHL on TSN?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unions would likely be a problem as I said.

No doubt there's some very questionable local broadcasts but if they were looking for filler programming so they didn't have the same program on four different channels at the same time then if they were going to take on the CHL broadcasts this would be one way to fill some of that wasted programming space. While they do have standards it doesn't look like they are filling too much with a variety of programming. It would simply be using broadcasts that met their standards and maybe that could give a push to some of the others not broadcasting in a higher quality.

While some of the broadcasters have very limited experience some have at least some broadcast experience.

Just a suggestion for cheap expansion of their programming while looking for a way for the CHL as a whole to fight for more exposure.

Quite honestly if they're simply going to follow in Sportsnet's footsteps we all know how that'll go. It won't be successful which is why Sportsnet wants out. A game of the week for 16 weeks or so won't draw a ton of interest so while the leagues may get a small check it doesn't do much to help them out or improve their situation.

Oh well, keep the interest dropping, I'm sure it'll all be OK in the end.

TSN carrying it on TSN5 is not going to raise interest. It definitely won’t by providing Community TV quality broadcasting. Community TV is generally decades behind technology wise, not to mention quality of on air talent. If you are thinking that having TSN broadcast it as “filler” because, well, why not, then you are sadly mistaken believing there would be any advantage to the CHL or TSN.

The CHL and its three member leagues need to do a better job marketing their game and their talent. That is where it starts. The leagues are no longer, “open the doors and they will come.” It definitely will not be, “Get on TSN and they will watch.” It doesn’t work like that. There needs to be a reason for people to watch. With NHL games on every night, I see no reason why non-CHL fans would bother to watch a CHL game instead of an NHL game.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
TSN carrying it on TSN5 is not going to raise interest. It definitely won’t by providing Community TV quality broadcasting. Community TV is generally decades behind technology wise, not to mention quality of on air talent. If you are thinking that having TSN broadcast it as “filler” because, well, why not, then you are sadly mistaken believing there would be any advantage to the CHL or TSN.

The CHL and its three member leagues need to do a better job marketing their game and their talent. That is where it starts. The leagues are no longer, “open the doors and they will come.” It definitely will not be, “Get on TSN and they will watch.” It doesn’t work like that. There needs to be a reason for people to watch. With NHL games on every night, I see no reason why non-CHL fans would bother to watch a CHL game instead of an NHL game.

I personally believe that TSN can do a better job than Sportsnet because they have consistently done a great job with the World Juniors. TSN isn't coming on board to let the CHL twist in the wind. They will be a key marketing partner for the league.

People will watch CHL if an NHL game is on , a lot of people like to watch their NHL teams prospects. TSN will need to air more games, and a wide variety of teams though. They have the means to do it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I personally believe that TSN can do a better job than Sportsnet because they have consistently done a great job with the World Juniors. TSN isn't coming on board to let the CHL twist in the wind. They will be a key marketing partner for the league.

People will watch CHL if an NHL game is on , a lot of people like to watch their NHL teams prospects. TSN will need to air more games, and a wide variety of teams though. They have the means to do it.

I don’t disagree BUT the onus is still on the Leagues to do a better job marketing their players (regardless of the perceptions related to student athletes).

TSN does a great job with the World Juniors, I agree. But that is one event per year and it pulls on Team Canada’s national interest as a draw. IT also happens in a lull portion of the hockey season...the dog days of the NHL schedule.

For TSN to have a significant impact, they’d have to actively push it on all of their platforms and make a significant investment. For that, I doubt the CHL would see a single dollar for the rights. It would be sort of like what the NHL did in the early years of trying to break into the American market. It would need to be a long term play on behalf of TSN and the CHL.

I am not against that by any means. I’m 100% cool with a long term strategy. I think if they make the investment and link prospects to NHL teams (especially Canadian teams), they may have a formula there to exploit. BUT, it would require a very sizeable investment on behalf of TSN. I question whether TSN would be willing to make a 5+ year investment that shows little to no returns in the first few years while they allow the marketing to take hold and grow as slowly as it would grow.

I’m curious to see what that would all look like. I hope it isn’t a token gift on TSN’s behalf in so far as they show a game a week and it simply fills programming.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
The CHL president, Dan MacKenzie, was selected for precisely the reasons being discussed in this thread. He’s a former NBA Canada executive and TSN employee.

I have no idea exactly where he plans to take things on the broadcast front — poor guy didn’t even get his feet wet before pandemic hell broke loose — but if you do a quick online search, you’ll see that the league commissioners fully expect him to create a cutting edge — and highly profitable — conventional and digital broadcast strategy for the league.

Frankly, the entire CHL needs some positive buzz moving into the 21-22 season. I hope Dan MacKenzie helps create it, and finds ways to monetize broadcasts.

member 71782

I do agree 100% the onus is on the league to do a better job but if TSN is going to take on the rights and spend any money to do so then they also need to look for ways to maximize their investment.

While watching local broadcasts may not be the greatest watching guys in a pub throwing darts on multiple TSN channels can't be the most lucrative programming either. So my thinking is if programming like that can fill airtime I'm sure CHL hockey can hold up just as well.

Again, agree the CHL has to do better but if they limit their broadcasts to teams that have the quality of broadcast as well as broadcasters they can provide cheap programming for the money they're investing, unless darts or whatever filler they have now on multiple channels brings in better ratings.

In terms of reasons for people to tune in?

If there's no0 incentive for people to watch why would they make the investment?

Agree the quality has to improve and they can provide that incentive.

While NHL will likely always trump JR broadcasts when someone's home team is playing in the NHL as Otto said, a chance for people to check out games with their team's prospects is something many would appreciate. Would it translate into huge numbers? Probably not but would more availability bring in more viewers, especially if they could run consecutive broadcasts from all three leagues? Probably. You would also likely see more interest from fans across all three leagues if there's a bit more regular availability. One game a week on Sportsnet wasn't going to drive fan interest, especially when it didn't start until November (?) most seasons. You have to provide a steady stream of the product to build interest and fans need to know they can tune into a game regularly.

I have no thoughts on this being a cure all for driving fan interest, the CHL has to improve their efforts, expectations have to be raised in terms of individual teams doing the work required along with much better player promotion within their own leagues as well as on a national level. If the CHL were to step up, TSN having five channels with multiple channels airing the exact same programming at the exact same time throughout much of the day, everyday there has to be room to get more airtime than Sportsnet provided. If there's not this is a waste of everyone's time and TSN's money.

What would get fans of any of the three leagues to follow the other two more? A game of the week that shows a single game from one of the leagues only or something that can showcase all three leagues on a more regular basis?

I mean they can always have people half way across the planet throwing darts on three stations a few extra nights a week, or whatever other fringe programming they are showing these days while simply doing a game of the week for the CHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do agree 100% the onus is on the league to do a better job but if TSN is going to take on the rights and spend any money to do so then they also need to look for ways to maximize their investment.

While watching local broadcasts may not be the greatest watching guys in a pub throwing darts on multiple TSN channels can't be the most lucrative programming either. So my thinking is if programming like that can fill airtime I'm sure CHL hockey can hold up just as well.

Again, agree the CHL has to do better but if they limit their broadcasts to teams that have the quality of broadcast as well as broadcasters they can provide cheap programming for the money they're investing, unless darts or whatever filler they have now on multiple channels brings in better ratings.

In terms of reasons for people to tune in?

If there's no0 incentive for people to watch why would they make the investment?

Agree the quality has to improve and they can provide that incentive.

While NHL will likely always trump JR broadcasts when someone's home team is playing in the NHL as Otto said, a chance for people to check out games with their team's prospects is something many would appreciate. Would it translate into huge numbers? Probably not but would more availability bring in more viewers, especially if they could run consecutive broadcasts from all three leagues? Probably. You would also likely see more interest from fans across all three leagues if there's a bit more regular availability. One game a week on Sportsnet wasn't going to drive fan interest, especially when it didn't start until November (?) most seasons. You have to provide a steady stream of the product to build interest and fans need to know they can tune into a game regularly.

I have no thoughts on this being a cure all for driving fan interest, the CHL has to improve their efforts, expectations have to be raised in terms of individual teams doing the work required along with much better player promotion within their own leagues as well as on a national level. If the CHL were to step up, TSN having five channels with multiple channels airing the exact same programming at the exact same time throughout much of the day, everyday there has to be room to get more airtime than Sportsnet provided. If there's not this is a waste of everyone's time and TSN's money.

What would get fans of any of the three leagues to follow the other two more? A game of the week that shows a single game from one of the leagues only or something that can showcase all three leagues on a more regular basis?

I mean they can always have people half way across the planet throwing darts on three stations a few extra nights a week, or whatever other fringe programming they are showing these days while simply doing a game of the week for the CHL.

The reality is the CHL needs a multi-pronged approach to marketing their leagues. Part of that is a better online presence and part of it is better TV exposure. That is for sure.

I am curious to see what the plan is and how long the contract is. I think the CHL would be better served giving the product away for five year while having language in the contract that would promote the CHL as a tradeoff. I think that is far more important than a few million dollars per year spread amongst 60 teams.

What would be cool is not even looking at TSN TV station but online streaming would be awesome. I know the NHL is looking heavily at online streaming services. That seems to be where entertainment is heading anyway.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think something as simple as transparency could help the OHL. The NFL is arguably the most successful league in the world. I think a lot of their success hinges on being transparent with injury disclosures, suspensions etc. I'm not holding my breath with for injury disclosures in the OHL. It's just not hockey's way. But anything is better than what's going on now. Fans need to feel a part of it.

member 71782

The reality is the CHL needs a multi-pronged approach to marketing their leagues. Part of that is a better online presence and part of it is better TV exposure. That is for sure.

I am curious to see what the plan is and how long the contract is. I think the CHL would be better served giving the product away for five year while having language in the contract that would promote the CHL as a tradeoff. I think that is far more important than a few million dollars per year spread amongst 60 teams.

What would be cool is not even looking at TSN TV station but online streaming would be awesome. I know the NHL is looking heavily at online streaming services. That seems to be where entertainment is heading anyway.

Agree with the multi pronged approach and a much better online presence. I think any money they receive from TSN trumps any investment costs they would have to make to make the actual online improvements.

The simplest approach they could take, but again it would require an investment would be to go to livestreaming all games on Youtube. The problem would mean making the investment in the equipment and then staffing the operators etc. That's likely the biggest problem right now and has been at any time. Take a couple of bucks to tie into a national broadcaster or make the investment in themselves to put the product out there.

It takes money to make money but I would guess a lot of these owners simply want a free ride whenever possible. Livestreaming every game online could be a huge tool for attracting talent. When it comes to Americans and import kids how many of them ever see more than a few highlights of the games? The international exposure could make a huge difference for recruiting if they can make some other changes as well to continue to increase the level of play.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
I have always wondered if the CHL could pull off a National game broadcast every Monday Night. Use the same modelling as the NFL where there would be flex scheduling and you would have top matchups each week. The problem with the Sportsnet model is that their national CHL game was always on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon. Most CHL fans are at their local rink cheering on their home team. Move the National game to a night where it is the only game on the schedule hopefully drawing more viewers. To me a Monday game would be no different than the Wednesday and Thursday night games that currently get scheduled and it some cases would break up the 3 games in 3 days weekend schedule.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I have always wondered if the CHL could pull off a National game broadcast every Monday Night. Use the same modelling as the NFL where there would be flex scheduling and you would have top matchups each week. The problem with the Sportsnet model is that their national CHL game was always on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon. Most CHL fans are at their local rink cheering on their home team. Move the National game to a night where it is the only game on the schedule hopefully drawing more viewers. To me a Monday game would be no different than the Wednesday and Thursday night games that currently get scheduled and it some cases would break up the 3 games in 3 days weekend schedule.
I'm not sure dedicated National games of the week are exactly what's needed. I think TSN (or whoever) needs to get as many marquee matchups as possible on the air. For example, I think SportsNet really missed the boat by not broadcasting as many Erie-London games as possible a few years back when both teams were consistently ranked in the top 3 in the CHL. They both also had some of the most entertaining players the league has seen in some time. That was a tremendous opportunity to grow the junior game nationally.

That may mean that the bottom feeders get their feelings hurt. If you aren't a top team or don't have top players, you don't get air time.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I believe this is why the CHL will never work as a national television product in Canada. It's very difficult to get fans from, for example, BC to care about a game between the 67s and the Colts or someone in Quebec or Ontario to sit down and watch a game between the Pats and the Wheat Kings.

Even when there is a top prospect and a few recently drafted players are on the ice, the product isn't compelling enough for the casual observer to tune in. The CHL might have to re-invent itself if it wants big TV money and we know that will never happen.

ClarkMedia29

Sep 20, 2021
First time poster. Long time lurker. Some great commentary in here about the passion for CHL and OHL content. I am one of the local TV play-by-plays and would agree that community broadcasts have a ceiling that they have not hit, but at the same time the quality is improving year by year. There is a ton of great young and veteran talent out there putting together a very solid broadcast.

I never had an issue with Sportsnet. I thought they did a great job with the on-air product, but they just could not find a consistent workable time slot that people could call home for the CHL/OHL. They tried Friday nights, Saturday afternoons and the odd Sunday. CBC looks like it wants Saturday afternoon, which is great and offers a nice lead in to their Hockey Night in Canada coverage. Where TSN lands with their coverage is anyone's guess, but the good news is that there two new TV partners for the CHL to work with, along with the complementary local coverage which is hop is going nowhere soon! The other point to consider of course is the tie in now with TSN's coverage of Hockey Canada, be it the U18's or World Juniors. There is a ton of potential to really build and grow something at both the regional and even national level.

Thanks for allowing me to comment.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Already seems like a lot more promotion of CHL hockey on social media today from TSN than Sportsnet did. TSN clearly wants people to watch. Hopefully they can help grow the popularity of the leagues.

Reactions: three dog night

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Probably just working out the kinks, but they showed both back up goalies in the pregame rather than the starters, and Carlo called Lucas Edmonds - Chase Edmunds (NFL player).

Cool to see Frankie Corrado on the desk though, seems like he's finally free

Reactions: three dog night

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I missed it. Sounds like TSN produced their own broadcast? Did they have a desk show in the intermission? Good quality overall?
They do have a pretty good desk show in the intermission. I didn't watch last nights game but did last Friday so if that's the regular line up it was pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->