OHL on TSN?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Why does TSN need to add channels? By leaving Rogers I interpret as leaving SportsNet. Their owner, Rogers, said a couple of years ago they couldn't wait to dump the CHL as a cost cutting measure. They've been hemorrhaging money since they signed that crazy NHL deal a few years back.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I trust that means an end to the OHL on Rogers regional community TV.

If so, I guess we’ll be back to an OHL game of the week and not much else til playoffs.

That’s a step backwards.
Although Rogers does run several, but not all, of the Community Cable TV stations, I don't think it's necessarily connected to SportsNet dropping the national coverage.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

As far as my knowledge the CHL and Sportsnet contract doesn't set to expire until following the 2026 season.

Unless there was a a recent release that stated that the CHL or Rogers had pulled the plug on there broadcast agreement ahead of the last renewal that was set to run until the end of the 2026 season. I believe that the CHL and Rogers would still be obligated to run until the end of their agreement.

If Bell and TSN had/has an agreement in place to pick up the CHL in any way you would think it won't be until the end of 2026 when Rogers/Sportsnet's contract is set to expire.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

If so, I guess we’ll be back to an OHL game of the week and not much else til playoffs.

That’s a step backwards.

Thats not better at all

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Doubt it. Regional OHL games are carried on Cogeco stations as well.
Eastlink and Shaw as well. I would guess only about half of the games are a Rogers local station. I also don't think the regional broadcasts would be effected. Regional broadcasts are a local decision. Missy lost theirs but the rest kept broadcasting. It is all about the local ratings for OHL hockey.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Eastlink and Shaw as well. I would guess only about half of the games are a Rogers local station. I also don't think the regional broadcasts would be effected. Regional broadcasts are a local decision. Missy lost theirs but the rest kept broadcasting. It is all about the local ratings for OHL hockey.

Although there are operations costs, most, if not all personnel are volunteers and/or college students getting experience.

There is significant education component to these broadcasts that people may overlook.

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
As far as my knowledge the CHL and Sportsnet contract doesn't set to expire until following the 2026 season.

Unless there was a a recent release that stated that the CHL or Rogers had pulled the plug on there broadcast agreement ahead of the last renewal that was set to run until the end of the 2026 season. I believe that the CHL and Rogers would still be obligated to run until the end of their agreement.

If Bell and TSN had/has an agreement in place to pick up the CHL in any way you would think it won't be until the end of 2026 when Rogers/Sportsnet's contract is set to expire.

jonah
@yyzsportsmedia·
17h
So by all accounts Rogers divested out of the CHL tv deal. Had term left but bought out the term. More details to come as I learn more .. told
@TSN_Sports will announce a three year pact with the CHL but not sure for what exactly ...

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
jonah
@yyzsportsmedia·
17h
So by all accounts Rogers divested out of the CHL tv deal. Had term left but bought out the term. More details to come as I learn more .. told
@TSN_Sports will announce a three year pact with the CHL but not sure for what exactly ...
For my money TSN has always done a great job promoting WJC and have played a huge hand in making it what it is today in Canada. I think they can do the same for the CHL. SportsNet just went through the motions so they could broadcast the Memorial Cup.

PS - I won't miss Rob Faulds.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens

That’s a step backwards.

You might actually see more games on community TV because I know in the last couple seasons the Rogers community stations were cutting broadcasts at the request of the CRTC because they were considering them commercial not community broadcasts. Maybe if Rogers doesn't have CHL broadcast interests this will ease.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
ESPN in the U.S. has ESPN+. ESPN+ is only available through the internet. On any given night, ESPN+ could have 20 or more NCAA basketball games streaming in additional to games being on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and their 3 ESPN college channels. I have always been impressed by how many games ESPN shows each night. Perhaps TSN, who is partially owned by ESPN, could have a similar set-up where all the OHL games are streamed through TSN, in addition to select games being shown on the regular TSN channels.

Reactions: EvenSteven

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
ESPN in the U.S. has ESPN+. ESPN+ is only available through the internet. On any given night, ESPN+ could have 20 or more NCAA basketball games streaming in additional to games being on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and their 3 ESPN college channels. I have always been impressed by how many games ESPN shows each night. Perhaps TSN, who is partially owned by ESPN, could have a similar set-up where all the OHL games are streamed through TSN, in addition to select games being shown on the regular TSN channels.
I seriously don't see that happening. TSN already has 5 channels that they have difficulty filling with content. I can turn it there on any given night and see stations having the same games (or no game if blacked out). Creating more channels for the OHL isn't an option imo.

member 71782

I seriously don't see that happening. TSN already has 5 channels that they have difficulty filling with content. I can turn it there on any given night and see stations having the same games (or no game if blacked out). Creating more channels for the OHL isn't an option imo.

With so many of those channels carrying the exact same programming maybe they can get a touch creative and carry local broadcasts on one of those channels jsut so people can watch something different.

It would create regular national exposure for all three leagues, A Q, O and W game following each other every night there's games available instead of whatever is on three or four TSN channels at the same time night after night.

The added costs would be minimal. The local feeds with the local broadcasters who would probably enjoy the national exposure as well as the volunteers looking for broadcasting experience getting to work on the technical side of things.

A national audience for the players on a more regular basis would certainly benefit the players.

Definitely a lot more exposure.

The only stumbling blocks would be the availability of the local broadcasts, particularly in a Rogers local market and would the various unions agree to accepting a volunteer based broadcast?

Even the Cogeco broadcasts could have issues since I believe Rogers just bought up all Canadian Cogeco operations in the last year or so.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
With so many of those channels carrying the exact same programming maybe they can get a touch creative and carry local broadcasts on one of those channels jsut so people can watch something different.

It would create regular national exposure for all three leagues, A Q, O and W game following each other every night there's games available instead of whatever is on three or four TSN channels at the same time night after night.

The added costs would be minimal. The local feeds with the local broadcasters who would probably enjoy the national exposure as well as the volunteers looking for broadcasting experience getting to work on the technical side of things.

A national audience for the players on a more regular basis would certainly benefit the players.

Definitely a lot more exposure.

The only stumbling blocks would be the availability of the local broadcasts, particularly in a Rogers local market and would the various unions agree to accepting a volunteer based broadcast?

Even the Cogeco broadcasts could have issues since I believe Rogers just bought up all Canadian Cogeco operations in the last year or so.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the unions. There would definitely be an issue there. On top of that some of the quality is still really bad depending on the city

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you hit the nail on the head with the unions. There would definitely be an issue there. On top of that some of the quality is still really bad depending on the city

TSN broadcasts in HD and 4K. There is no way they are going to "borrow" a feed from community television that doesn't meet their quality standards. Also, can you imagine some of the local broadcast teams doing the play by play and colour on TSN? Wow, how long would that last? The vast majority are horrid.

I cannot see TSN lending their platform to community television. They have standards that quite simply are not met by community broadcasters.

I agree with you that the hurdles are far too high for this to happen.

If TSN were to broadcast CHL games, they'd take the same approach as Sportsnet and would use their broadcast teams and do it professionally.

meh022

Nov 21, 2018

Are you able to do a little research before you post something that isn't true?

member 71782

Are you able to do a little research before you post something that isn't true?

Did the deal fall apart?

Last I saw, only thing I saw was Rogers was purchasing the Canadian operations and some American company was purchasing the US operations.

If it didn't go through that's fine, haven't followed it after I first heard about it.

Maybe if you would have simply posted the deal didn't go through.

member 71782

Unions would likely be a problem as I said.

TSN broadcasts in HD and 4K. There is no way they are going to "borrow" a feed from community television that doesn't meet their quality standards. Also, can you imagine some of the local broadcast teams doing the play by play and colour on TSN? Wow, how long would that last? The vast majority are horrid.

I cannot see TSN lending their platform to community television. They have standards that quite simply are not met by community broadcasters.

I agree with you that the hurdles are far too high for this to happen.

If TSN were to broadcast CHL games, they'd take the same approach as Sportsnet and would use their broadcast teams and do it professionally.

No doubt there's some very questionable local broadcasts but if they were looking for filler programming so they didn't have the same program on four different channels at the same time then if they were going to take on the CHL broadcasts this would be one way to fill some of that wasted programming space. While they do have standards it doesn't look like they are filling too much with a variety of programming. It would simply be using broadcasts that met their standards and maybe that could give a push to some of the others not broadcasting in a higher quality.

While some of the broadcasters have very limited experience some have at least some broadcast experience.

Just a suggestion for cheap expansion of their programming while looking for a way for the CHL as a whole to fight for more exposure.

Quite honestly if they're simply going to follow in Sportsnet's footsteps we all know how that'll go. It won't be successful which is why Sportsnet wants out. A game of the week for 16 weeks or so won't draw a ton of interest so while the leagues may get a small check it doesn't do much to help them out or improve their situation.

Oh well, keep the interest dropping, I'm sure it'll all be OK in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->