OHL has Announced U18 Draft Should Make Training Camps Intresting

the dog

May 16, 2014
I'm kind of confused about why they'd call this the U18 draft. Isn't it technically the 17+ draft or the draft+1 draft?

Anyone out there notable that's likely to go in this draft? Just looking at OJHL, Justin Paul (Milton Icehawks) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=438092 is the top scoring undrafted player in that agegroup. I'm assuming he goes in this draft?
for 99 and 2000 players playing in Ontario AAA midgets players only

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Draft

I'm kind of confused about why they'd call this the U18 draft. Isn't it technically the 17+ draft or the draft+1 draft?

Anyone out there notable that's likely to go in this draft? Just looking at OJHL, Justin Paul (Milton Icehawks) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=438092 is the top scoring undrafted player in that agegroup. I'm assuming he goes in this draft?

Justin Paul can't be drafted in the 4 round draft, because he played in a league considered JR B
He can be drafted in the regular draft if a team puts him on the list,my guess he will be signed as a free agent after the drafts.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
From Ryan Yessie@RyanHPscout

Since the 2018 U18 Draft would start w/ our highest unranked Ontario players from the previous draft, here's what our top 10 would look like:

1. RD Kristopher Black Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs (SCTA)
2. F Cameron Warren Whitby Wildcats (ETA)
3. G Owen Robertson Mississauga Rebels (GTHL)
4. LC Bradley Somers Toronto Nationals (GTHL)
5. LC Jacob Coulson Brampton 45's (SCTA)
6. LW Sean Chisholm Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs (SCGA)
7. RC Liam Carroll Mississauga Rebels (GTHL)
8. RD Bryan Foster Toronto Nationals (GTHL)
9. LW Jake Weston Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs (MHAO)
10. G Christopher Brady Burlington Eagles (SCTA)

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

Since the 2018 U18 Draft would start w/ our highest unranked Ontario players from the previous draft, here's what our top 10 would look like:

There was some really, really terrible picks in this draft. Cam Warren should have gone pretty early, it is the Ontario Height League though. The midget draft makes sense considering how many mistakes are made.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
There was some really, really terrible picks in this draft. Cam Warren should have gone pretty early, it is the Ontario Height League though. The midget draft makes sense considering how many mistakes are made.

not sure i'd agree with the height league comment...have a look at ohl top 10 scorers heights and some of the 1st rounders this year..dabrincat palmu moore mascherin all under 5-10 and in top 10

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
not sure i'd agree with the height league comment...have a look at ohl top 10 scorers heights and some of the 1st rounders this year..dabrincat palmu moore mascherin all under 5-10 and in top 10

There are still a number of scouts who are old school and believe you can't teach size. Having said that, I think now they only use it to break a tie. They'll always take the better player unless it's too close to call. Then they go with size.

But the last few OHL drafts have been surprising for how many small kids have been drafted.

On the U-18 draft... I appreciate the top-10 list from RY. Can anyone expand on the top-20 or so and identify if any are expected to be impact guys?

2017OHL

Jan 2, 2016

Wouldn't these guys not be eligible until 2018? I was under the assumption this year was for 99/00 born kids only.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
If I was a team I would be taking Creed Jones of COW right away. Amazing goaltender for COW. He has a lot of tools, needs some coaching but his potential is through the roof. Seen him about 8-12 times this year and he never took a night off. Can't believe he went undrafted last year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If I was a team I would be taking Creed Jones of COW right away. Amazing goaltender for COW. He has a lot of tools, needs some coaching but his potential is through the roof. Seen him about 8-12 times this year and he never took a night off. Can't believe he went undrafted last year.

The 67's are in high need of a goaltender. We (fans) thought they would use one of their three picks in the 2nd-3rd round to take one but they waited until the 9th round and took the 18th goaltender picked.

It led me to believe they had their eyes on a player in the Major Midget draft who would be a year older and more readily able to step in and play as an 18 year old starter for the 2018-2019 season.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

He'll be one of the top 3 picks maybe as high as #1.

Improved a ton from last season

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
He'll be one of the top 3 picks maybe as high as #1.

Improved a ton from last season

As a former goalie and goalie coach you can see he oozes natural abilities. It's a shame he was on a terrible Pete's team last season. In the future if he can add a little weight and get a little stronger I see he could almost have some star power in the league Orr if he chooses ojhl and the ncaa path it could be the same thing. Amazing talent, big, fast and calm. Total package IMO

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting interview with Mr Branch on the draft preview show( on the OHL website). Pretty much confirms why this draft came into existence. He gave 2 reasons - 1 to give some of the kids that are late bloomers a second chance to get picked by a team - 2 the Midget Major system was having trouble sustaining itself as a viable option for players and teams were slowly disappearing. Making the draft exclusive to this group gives hope that kids will stay in the program knowing they might have a better chance to be noticed and picked up. This was very much what most though why this draft came into being.
Another thing noted on the show was the fact that these picks cannot be traded - somewhere on one of these threads it was indicated these picks could be traded - I will assume the OHL site is right - wait did I just say the OHL site is right - Got to sit back and ponder that thought:popcorn:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'll add:
3) To prevent "have" teams in ideal locations from being able to sign FA's thus making those markets even stronger. "Have not" teams historically haven't had as much of a chance signing these guys what with players wanting to have a say where they'll play. Example: the league didn't want Yantsis signing with the Rangers when he did because they wanted him to be selected in this draft - likely to give "everyone" a shot at drafting him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting interview with Mr Branch on the draft preview show( on the OHL website). Pretty much confirms why this draft came into existence. He gave 2 reasons - 1 to give some of the kids that are late bloomers a second chance to get picked by a team - 2 the Midget Major system was having trouble sustaining itself as a viable option for players and teams were slowly disappearing. Making the draft exclusive to this group gives hope that kids will stay in the program knowing they might have a better chance to be noticed and picked up. This was very much what most though why this draft came into being.
Another thing noted on the show was the fact that these picks cannot be traded - somewhere on one of these threads it was indicated these picks could be traded - I will assume the OHL site is right - wait did I just say the OHL site is right - Got to sit back and ponder that thought:popcorn:

You cannot trade the picks but you should be able to trade the players picked.

I think saving the Major Midget loop is a good thing. It was getting to the point where 16 year old players were looking at JrB and JrC options. The drawback is if the Major Midget loop becomes a super series where 16 year olds leave home to join super teams. It ends up becoming a two tiered league with a handful of top teams and a plethora of middling teams. That's not a bad thing if it were organized properly into AAA with a proper number of teams to satisfy competition and development.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You cannot trade the picks but you should be able to trade the players picked.

I think saving the Major Midget loop is a good thing. It was getting to the point where 16 year old players were looking at JrB and JrC options. The drawback is if the Major Midget loop becomes a super series where 16 year olds leave home to join super teams. It ends up becoming a two tiered league with a handful of top teams and a plethora of middling teams. That's not a bad thing if it were organized properly into AAA with a proper number of teams to satisfy competition and development.
Not clear on whether or not the player could be traded but the kids being 17/18 years of age would mean most would likely still have one more year of High school and would have the NTC for students in effect and could not be moved for a least one year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not clear on whether or not the player could be traded but the kids being 17/18 years of age would mean most would likely still have one more year of High school and would have the NTC for students in effect and could not be moved for a least one year.

I think if it gave the kid an opportunity to play, the kid will waive the NTC to go anywhere. Thi sis the last chance draft. IF they go to a team too deep and show well in the preseason and another team wants them, I think it would be beneficial for both sides to work out a deal. I don't know of any 17 year old player that refuses a trade when the purpose was to get them to a team that would play them vs sitting them or sending them to JrB.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think if it gave the kid an opportunity to play, the kid will waive the NTC to go anywhere. Thi sis the last chance draft. IF they go to a team too deep and show well in the preseason and another team wants them, I think it would be beneficial for both sides to work out a deal. I don't know of any 17 year old player that refuses a trade when the purpose was to get them to a team that would play them vs sitting them or sending them to JrB.
This is probably true - remember these kids and family's see this draft as possibly their last chance to show what they have and keep the dream alive - they will at least get a chance to showcase their skills. There will be some kids from this draft that will play in the "O" this year - time will tell how many.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I guess the big question will now be whether the OHL teams will send their prospects to Major Midget over the Jr loop? If the OHL is really looking to revive MAjor Midget, having teams send some players or encourage players to go that route and play bigger minutes as opposed to playing with 19 and 20 year olds in junior would probably be a good thing for many of the mid to late round picks....especially the smaller kids.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Wondering if anyone from the Ottawa area can tell me about Eric Conley?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Wondering if anyone from the Ottawa area can tell me about Eric Conley?

saw him lots.past yr was first playing aaa.got some skill.good size and a decent compete level.had tendency to leave zone early lookining for break away chances.this will have to change at next level.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
saw him lots.past yr was first playing aaa.got some skill.good size and a decent compete level.had tendency to leave zone early lookining for break away chances.this will have to change at next level.

He will be in tough to crack the forward group that the Petes return next season but I'm looking forward to seeing if he can pull it off. Did he play centre or mostly wing?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
He will be in tough to crack the forward group that the Petes return next season but I'm looking forward to seeing if he can pull it off. Did he play centre or mostly wing?

think he played both,has a strong shot and fact past yr was his first at aaa makes hin intreging.like i said earlier his whole game will need to continue to develope, including being a factor on whole 200 feet of ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad