OHL has Announced U18 Draft Should Make Training Camps Intresting

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
April the 12th will be certainly be interesting with the OHL's new U18 draft. This new draft should bring interesting GM decisions, As it is this will bring a teams training camp rosters 19 selections between the new U18 draft and Priority Selection's 15 rounds (Not adding into account that every club usually invites a handful of kids as free agents) This draft will open the door for many kids that got passed over in previous drafts or from unfortunate circumstances like injuries the season before

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Honestly, I bet you get 4-5 kids per draft that even make the league. 1-2 that turn out to be decent-above average OHLers.

Mayday3*

April the 12th will be certainly be interesting with the OHL's new U18 draft. This new draft should bring interesting GM decisions, As it is this will bring a teams training camp rosters 19 selections between the new U18 draft and Priority Selection's 15 rounds (Not adding into account that every club usually invites a handful of kids as free agents) This draft will open the door for many kids that got passed over in previous drafts or from unfortunate circumstances like injuries the season before

The draft will be very beneficial for goalies and skaters who jumped in size during their midget season. Other than that, idk how many guys it'll help. Will just hurt the good midget players because now they can't pick which team they go to camp with

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The draft will be very beneficial for goalies and skaters who jumped in size during their midget season. Other than that, idk how many guys it'll help. Will just hurt the good midget players because now they can't pick which team they go to camp with

That maybe a possible outcome although would balance the books so to say on players who may good midget players but yet are down on teams want lists or maybe possible projects for some teams that managers have had an eye on. Could also benefit players in midget who are projected to be talented enough but have had unfortunate year prior to draft year (I.e injuries)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Do players need to opt in to this draft? If not, I would certainly pick NCAA bound players that were passed over in the OHL draft the previous year that would normally had been drafted int he top 4 rounds if they were going the CHL route. You may get lucky with one every three years or so which would probably net you a player much better than anything you would unearth going the straight route.

Of course, as mentioned by others, we could see less goalies picked outside the 5th round. Why bother taking goalies as 15 year olds when you can get a better grip on them as 16 year olds.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Do players need to opt in to this draft? If not, I would certainly pick NCAA bound players that were passed over in the OHL draft the previous year that would normally had been drafted int he top 4 rounds if they were going the CHL route. You may get lucky with one every three years or so which would probably net you a player much better than anything you would unearth going the straight route.

Of course, as mentioned by others, we could see less goalies picked outside the 5th round. Why bother taking goalies as 15 year olds when you can get a better grip on them as 16 year olds.

Most of those Canadian kids would be playing Jr.B or Tier 2 Jr. and would not be eligible for this draft... But I agree and think it opens it up so there are more kids from the US that get drafted in this draft that were overlooked in the 1st draft because of NCAA or exposure.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Most of those Canadian kids would be playing Jr.B or Tier 2 Jr. and would not be eligible for this draft... But I agree and think it opens it up so there are more kids from the US that get drafted in this draft that were overlooked in the 1st draft because of NCAA or exposure.

Where the kid is from really has very little to no effect on whether or not the kid gets picked anymore yes it does play a small part in what round a kid may be picked because of the fact that said kid may have a want list that is very short on where he wants to play as time has progressed in the league teams are more apted to take later round picks on these kids then risk their top rounds not reporting to camps

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Where the kid is from really has very little to no effect on whether or not the kid gets picked anymore yes it does play a small part in what round a kid may be picked because of the fact that said kid may have a want list that is very short on where he wants to play as time has progressed in the league teams are more apted to take later round picks on these kids then risk their top rounds not reporting to camps

There are only 4 rounds of picks in this draft, I think there could be more undrafted kids from the US that will get picked in this draft compared to kids playing Major Midget in Ontario. Simply because there are more undrafted kids available from the US that used to come as free agents.

the dog

May 16, 2014
There are only 4 rounds of picks in this draft, I think there could be more undrafted kids from the US that will get picked in this draft compared to kids playing Major Midget in Ontario. Simply because there are more undrafted kids available from the US that used to come as free agents.
us kids have to be playing in Ontario major midgets to get picked

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
This draft is nothing more than an effort to save midget hockey.
Undrafted free agents that improve from their minor midget year get invites to OHL camps anyways ..........so what does this draft really change ?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Undrafted free agents that improve from their minor midget year get invites to OHL camps anyways ..........so what does this draft really change ?

You answered your own question

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

If anything, it just stops players that would have been free agents from going to the Q or other leagues or going to an OHL camp where you might have a shot at making the team. I would think most good kids not drafted last year are already thinking NCAA route.

So would it have been better for a 2000 kid to play Jr.B this season? Kids who played junior are not eligible for this draft and will remain free agents from what I hear. If anything, this draft might hinder a Midget player more unless the OHL team is really going to give the player a fair shot in camp.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site

Only players playing major midget/U18 in Ontario are eligible.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Why don't we just wait to see how it all plays out this first year and once fall rosters are set?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Four rounds is good. It removes 76 possible FA that London can sign and trade for 2nds & 3rds :)

The Rangers picked up Yantsis early. The best player that would have been drafted in this new draft. Now if they can just find another diamond in the ruff they come out ahead of the other squads.:popcorn::)

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Been here all week at the Telus Central tourney, the Mississauga Rebels have a few excellent choices, Jones also the Russian born player, the name I can't pernounce, and of coarse the notables on that team. I would not hesitate drafting just about anyone on this team. Have been with them all week as a team host. Great bunch of boys. Noticed a lot of scouts tablets are open when they play.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm kind of confused about why they'd call this the U18 draft. Isn't it technically the 17+ draft or the draft+1 draft?

Anyone out there notable that's likely to go in this draft? Just looking at OJHL, Justin Paul (Milton Icehawks) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=438092 is the top scoring undrafted player in that agegroup. I'm assuming he goes in this draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad