OHL Future Watch 2020-21: Erie Otters

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
OHL Future Watch: Erie Otters

The Erie Otters have had a couple of down seasons after the departure of some of the best players the OHL has ever seen in Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat. They are starting to make some strides, but need to continue to replenish the draft pick coffers that were depleted when they made their trades to make a run at OHL Championships and Memorial Cups.

Forwards
Erie’s 2 best forwards will be overage players next season, which doesn’t necessarily fit with their contending timelines. Chad Yetman (2000, C) scored 43 goals this season and Maxim Golod (2000, LW) had 78 points to lead the Otters in scoring. They will have to decide whether they keep both, or do they trade them for draft picks and/or young players. Connor Lockhart (2003, C) was their 3rd overall pick and is a small, highly skilled player who should be a threat every night. He is their cornerstone and they need to build young forwards around him. Colby Saganiuk (2003) recently committed to the Otters, leaving the US Under 17 program where he was buried on the depth chart. Austen Swankler, Hayden Fowler, and Daniel D’Amato are all depth forwards who are 2001s. This is an area where they can make a major impact through the CHL Import Draft as they have two spots that are available.

Defense
Jamie Drysdale (2002, RD) will be the top defenseman in the OHL if he is returned by whatever NHL team drafts him in the top 5 of the draft. He will play 30 minutes a game in all situations and will be the anchor on Canada’s World Junior Team. They will have to decide who they keep out of Kurtis Henry (19 points) and Jack Duff (18 points) as they were the next best defenseman on the roster and they are both 2000 born players. Cameron Morton (2002) made some strides, but the hope is that 1st rounder Spencer Sova (2004) and late 2003 born Christian Kyrou can play some major minutes.

Goaltenders
Aidan Campbell (2002) has emerged as an exciting prospect for the Otters and looks like a steal as a 12th rounder in 2018. He is huge (6-5) and there is a good chance that he will be drafted by an NHL team in June. Forbes Anderson (2003) or 3rd round pick Nolan Lalonde (2004) will challenge for the backup role.

Draft Capital
The Otters do not have the assets to go after the OHL title next season, so they either have to stay with what they have, or trade their major pieces (Yetman, Golod and Drysdale) and compile draft picks and/or young players who fit with the timeline of potential impact players like Lockhart, Saganiuk, and Sova.

In conclusion, much of what the Otters become is dependent on the NHL return of Drysdale, the success of their CHL import draft selections and the development of their young players. I don’t feel that they have the tools to compete for an OHL title, so trading some of their top overagers, 2001s, or even Drysdale should be considered if they can get some picks back to build around their 03s and 04s.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good write up and Erie fans would agree with most that is said

In terms of the impact import - they will have that with Marat Khusnutdinov if he signs. My indication is he will be here for the upcoming season but the COVID situation could ruin that plan..
They will thus only use 1 import pick and likely on a defender

After the 2021, their draft cupboards look more normal. Though not stocked, they are certainly not completely empty. That said, it still will limit anything they can do in the next 2-3 years unless they sell off some pieces

If they are able to have 2 imports on their roster (on a team that had 0 imports last year prior to Sopa trade) and see Campbell reach more of his potential in net, they should be a good well-rounded team. Too young in certain areas to make a true run but should have enough talent and great depth to be a 3/4 seed if all goes well

As an Erie fan, my hope is they sell off Drysdale and at least one of their top OAs. It’s not necessarily an easy decision to move on from elite talent like that but getting a 2004 born first rounder is pretty much a guaranteed return for Drysdale, on top of getting 5-6 high end picks. Combine that with 2-3 high end picks for an OA, and they could really stack their assets and make a true run for 2022-23 when Lockhart, Sova, Saganiuk, Campbell/Lalonde are veterans

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The mods might not like 20 separate threads on these. They shut down the separate prospects threads last off season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
As an Erie fan, my hope is they sell off Drysdale

Next season is not Erie’s go for it season and I would think Drysdale has 1 OHL season left in him. Trade him to a contender that is in a go for it season and reap the return. It somewhat seems a no brainer to me but I’m not an OHL GM! And yes it is tough to trade them away but it has to be done for the future success of the team.

Reactions: Finster8

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Next season is not Erie’s go for it season and I would think Drysdale has 1 OHL season left in him. Trade him to a contender that is in a go for it season and reap the return. It somewhat seems a no brainer to me but I’m not an OHL GM! And yes it is tough to trade them away but it has to be done for the future success of the team.
I’m not the GM either. And not the owner. Reality is that the franchise has certainly lost money the last 3 years with 0 playoff games, let alone some playoff wins. Can they financially afford to have another down year by trading their best player?
I would be shocked if Drysdale is traded at any point. As a fan, that’s what I would do though

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
With respect to these threads, it's my opinion to let these slide (idk what @nelli27 thinks) since it's the off-season and there aren't as many threads. These threads are likely to be one and done as well, as opposed to prospect threads, which would be continually updated and added to, constantly staying at the top of the non-stickied threads list.

With respect to the content of the post itself, pretty solid OP, sums it up well. If everything went right this off-season (Saganiuk, Khushnutdinov, other import, Alexander all signing, new coach, trade off of excess players for picks) the team could perhaps be a top 5-6 team in the league, and maybe contend for a title if they bought aggressively with what picks they had. But that's obviously extremely optimistic and would be even more detrimental to the future than the 2017 run was. My hope for next season is that they are in the 3-5 range heading into the trade deadline, then deal off Drysdale for an '04 and 3-4 2nd round picks. This would allow them to still possibly win a playoff round while reloading around the '03-'04 group and filling in their future draft capital (they really just need to fill in the 2022,2023,2024 picks. 2021 is decimated but not as needed, and picks past 2024 haven't been touched). Kind of like what Oshawa has done recently.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is probably no more potentially impactful single trade deadline addition than Drysdale, but an ‘04 plus 3-4 2nds now that trading picks is limited to four years seems unlikely. Maybe 2-2nds and add some (3, 4, 5) picks?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There is probably no more potentially impactful single trade deadline addition than Drysdale, but an ‘04 plus 3-4 2nds now that trading picks is limited to four years seems unlikely. Maybe 2-2nds and add some (3, 4, 5) picks?
I would say that Erie would only do it if they could get a 2004. You would have to probably add 4-5 high end picks (2nd-3rd round) to that. Erie isn’t in a desperate sell mode, and it’s far more likely they do nothing with trades all year outside of shifting out their extra OAs and an extra 2001. Even if they are a 4/5 seed team, I see them NOT trading Jamie. But if a team gives them a great offer? They might not be able to turn it down. Will have to be a great offer though..

Reactions: Finster8

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
This is why you have to stockpile seconds so you have multiple picks per year. Oshawa was able to do so to get Tomasino. The big moves this season will be Rees of Sarnia and Drysdale.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This is why you have to stockpile seconds so you have multiple picks per year. Oshawa was able to do so to get Tomasino. The big moves this season will be Rees of Sarnia and Drysdale.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t.. or that Erie would not even entertain it

I just don’t think Dave Brown and the organization wants to trade him. If they are in the 6/7 seed or worse? They probably do. But if they are a competing as a 3/4 seed? They probably don’t.

and I don’t care what Oshawa does. Erie has drafted very well recently and now is starting to sign more Americans. They play in a tough Western conference where nothing is easy. Trade Drysdale and others in the East and Erie probably is still a 4-6 seed. Do it in the West and you are probably a 7-9 seed. Personally I would trade Drysdale but after no playoffs for 3 years and fans wanting to be competitive.. they have to weigh that

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’m not saying I wouldn’t.. or that Erie would not even entertain it

I just don’t think Dave Brown and the organization wants to trade him. If they are in the 6/7 seed or worse? They probably do. But if they are a competing as a 3/4 seed? They probably don’t.

and I don’t care what Oshawa does. Erie has drafted very well recently and now is starting to sign more Americans. They play in a tough Western conference where nothing is easy. Trade Drysdale and others in the East and Erie probably is still a 4-6 seed. Do it in the West and you are probably a 7-9 seed. Personally I would trade Drysdale but after no playoffs for 3 years and fans wanting to be competitive.. they have to weigh that

I doubt Drysdale will be moved. Dave Brown will be too worried that he'll be sent back the following year and then you're going against him as the best D in the country in a year where you're trying to win. Judging by Brown's past, that'll be too much risk for him

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I doubt Drysdale will be moved. Dave Brown will be too worried that he'll be sent back the following year and then you're going against him as the best D in the country in a year where you're trying to win. Judging by Brown's past, that'll be too much risk for him
I agree. It only makes sense if they suck next year (bottom 3/4 in the conference) which sort of leaves them with no choice. But Drysdale has a chance of returning for a 4th year given his size/strength which is his biggest area for improvement to play full time in the NHL

They will have to consider moving him if they are having another down season though.. So it is possible. Just not likely

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I agree. It only makes sense if they suck next year (bottom 3/4 in the conference) which sort of leaves them with no choice. But Drysdale has a chance of returning for a 4th year given his size/strength which is his biggest area for improvement to play full time in the NHL

They will have to consider moving him if they are having another down season though.. So it is possible. Just not likely

I'd guess it comes down to whether or not Brown can get someone to agree to a huge return and then also agree to a huge return of conditionals. Although that'd be tough because then a contending team just can't use a handful of their assets because they'd be off limits as conditionals

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'd guess it comes down to whether or not Brown can get someone to agree to a huge return and then also agree to a huge return of conditionals. Although that'd be tough because then a contending team just can't use a handful of their assets because they'd be off limits as conditionals
That’s a good point. Personally I would strongly consider moving him because of the potential for a great return and Erie is not going for a title next season. But I also don’t pay the bills and control the PR of the team. They need to win more or casual fans will he ticked off and their interests will fade. And it will impact their player recruiting if they are a poor team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->