OHL Exhibition Games

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm visiting Toronto from September 10th-17th and was hoping to take in some hockey, other than visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame - which I'm excited about.

I'm going to be situated next to the Danforth GO! Station. My calculations told me the best places to go would have been either of Oshawa's Saturday/Sunday games, ideally Sunday - but I have no idea if these games are meant to be attended as there is no mention of tickets anywhere I can find.

Can anyone recommend a game to me (Ideally between Friday and Sunday) and give me some tips on how/when to get tickets - is it walkup etc.?

And what's the general quality of these games? Do teams tend to be missing some big players to training camps and do they take them seriously? I assume it'll depend on the team.

Long post, but any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I'm visiting Toronto from September 10th-17th and was hoping to take in some hockey, other than visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame - which I'm excited about.

I'm going to be situated next to the Danforth GO! Station. My calculations told me the best places to go would have been either of Oshawa's Saturday/Sunday games, ideally Sunday - but I have no idea if these games are meant to be attended as there is no mention of tickets anywhere I can find.

Can anyone recommend a game to me (Ideally between Friday and Sunday) and give me some tips on how/when to get tickets - is it walkup etc.?

And what's the general quality of these games? Do teams tend to be missing some big players to training camps and do they take them seriously? I assume it'll depend on the team.

For OHL exhibition games you don't really require advance tickets..most rinks are under 50% capacity unless neutral site games at smaller venues.

Here's a list of OHL exhibition games this season.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2014-ohl-exhibition-game-schedule

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Getting to any OHL arena without a car will be challenging.

Oshawa may be your best bet on Sunday 14-th
Take the Go train lakeshore line eastbound to Oshawa station and take a cab from there to the arena. Reverse on the way back after the game.
You’ll be able to buy a ticket at the GM Center arena box office without a problem – exhibition games are lightly attended. The GM Center arena is one of the best in the OHL and they are playing a traditional rivalry team the Peterborough Petes that day.

Your other option on Sunday 14-th is Erie vs Mississauga – at this game you’ll see Connor McDavid play for Erie – the expected #1 overall draft pick at next summer’s NHL draft.
But the game’s in Oakville (not Mississauga) and they don’t say which arena in Oakville? You’d need to contact the team to find out more info. The Go train also goes to Oakville, but it would be a little bit longer trip and you’d need to change trains at Union Station. Again take a cab from the nearest Oakville station to wherever the arena is.

47. Sun. Sept. 14, Erie vs. Mississauga, 2:00 (Oakville)
48. Sun. Sept. 14, Peterborough at Oshawa, 6:05

Let us know how you enjoyed the experience

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto

Oshawa is your best bet and very easy to get to on the Sunday but from what I can see on their official website, their games that weekend will be in Pickering on Saturday and in Bowmanville on Sunday at the Garnet B Rickard complex.

Pickering is much closer but you would need a cab and it is on Saturday (you said you preferred Sunday). Bowmanville is farther but much easier to get to since the connecting Go Bus from Oshawa drops you off literally at the front door of the arena. Just ask for a Day Pass to Bowmanville from your stop at Danforth. Take the Go Train from Toronto to the end of the line in Oshawa. There is only one exit from the Go Station and the bus will be waiting on the left to take people further East past Bowmanville. Get on that Bus with the others and show the driver your ticket. The bus will get through Oshawa and (eventually) get to Bowmanville. The stop is literally at the front door of the arena.

After the game just walk out the door and out to the street to catch that same bus going westbound back to Oshawa for the train. Beware though that if you miss the 9:48pm bus, you will have to wait until 10:48 since it is only hourly service on Sunday nights. But since it's a 7pm start, you'll have no trouble at all and the game will end by 9:30.

Here is the timetable for Sundays. Note that the arena stop is called "Bowmanville" and if you click on the Google Map, it will give you a better idea and you can use their street view to get a better idea of the area and what you're looking at (including the exact spot of the green bus signs). The arena is on the North Side of the street.

http://www.gotransit.com/timetables...-08-03&corridorname=Lakeshore East&parentid=1

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
OHL Pre Season Games

Hope you get to a game, if you only have to go to ONE go to the one in Oakville, to see CONNOR MCDAVID (ERIE OTTERS), the kid is the real deal, gotta see live, it is unreal what this kid can to at only 17, will blow you away. Good luck let us know if you make it to the game.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Hah, just checked their sked, and ya, those games are being played at community centres. Two of which I played at all the time growing up. :laugh:

I may try and get in to see the Sept 6 game at the ACC (that would be Ajax Community Centre, not Air Canada Centre). I wonder what rink it will be on. I've played on them all.

To be honest though, these rinks have such a small "capacity", I wonder if these games will even be open to anybody but team staff. Ajax and Pickering Rec centres can't possibly have seating for more than a couple hundred.

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
Ajax has a capacity of about 450 people on Pad 1, and Pickering Rec Centre has close to 1,000 seats by my guess.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Hah, just checked their sked, and ya, those games are being played at community centres. Two of which I played at all the time growing up. :laugh:

I may try and get in to see the Sept 6 game at the ACC (that would be Ajax Community Centre, not Air Canada Centre). I wonder what rink it will be on. I've played on them all.

To be honest though, these rinks have such a small "capacity", I wonder if these games will even be open to anybody but team staff. Ajax and Pickering Rec centres can't possibly have seating for more than a couple hundred.

This was definitely my worry. I didn't want to travel to the place only to be told, yeah buddy sorry this isn't open to the public.

If it has 1000 roughly like the last poster said then that would be pretty fine. I'm now torn between the game in Pickering and the game in Oakville.

Pickering is nice and close on the GO! train - but it'd be pretty damn cool to see a potential number one draft pick up close and personal before it happens.

That's really what I wanted to get out of the experience, seeing some great players at an early stage of their career.

How's the rink in Oakville?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Andy: If the arena in Oakville is the Sixteen Mile Arena it holds about 1,500 people. One other thing you should be aware of: Teams don't always dress their number one guys in these exhibition games.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey, thought I'd give you guys an update after all your help.

My girlfriend and I eventually decided we wanted to go to Oakville, on the off chance of seeing Connor McDavid, after watching a few Youtube videos.

So we headed from Danforth on the GO! train through to Oakville, which has a nice little area of retail parks at the station, so we got lunch there then headed on the 19 bus, because that's what Google maps said. It took us through some really damn nice looking housing estates - I mean every turn was just more nice big houses, there's nowhere that's as consistently safe and clean looking in the UK, haha. How do you guys do it? Walking up to the rink wasn't as easy, Google had given us a bad route, and we were essentially walking in the side of a 4-lane (each side) 60km/h road with no sidewalk for most of it. I noticed that the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex isn't particularly accessible on foot from any angle though, definitely made for cars.

But the complex itself was pretty impressive to me, I'm sure you guys have stuff like that everywhere, but we'd kill for something like that in UK hockey. 3 training rinks and a lovely little 1500 seat arena at the end of it. To put it into perspective, Disney on Ice take my local teams arena for the month of September, so our guys train 1 hour away from our home rink and play on the road all month, because that's how far away the next decent sized rink is.

But yeah, all very nice, all very clean - I loved the Oakville community a lot. I was getting looks from my girlfriend as if to say we should be living here! Haha.

$5 to get in, fantastic. Got myself a puck, my girlfriend got a Steelheads shirt, and I got a set of cards to have a look at the team. The game itself was pretty damn good, thankfully McDavid was in the lineup, couldn't have been happier as he didn't play many exhibitions. But he wasn't the only talent on show by a long shot. A lot of guys impressed me, the teams were perhaps a little undisciplined defensively at times - but that may just have been the fact it was an exhibition game too. We got a show from McDavid, with 5 points - one particularly awesome assist for number 12 (who's name I forget :( ), who reaped the rewards of being on McDavid's line all night, but looked pretty good himself.

Wasn't a big fan of the Otter's goalie, but may have been a backup, as it was an exhibition? Felt he sold them short, and was the difference in the game, as Steelheads goalie was pretty solid. I liked Sean Day and Nick Zottl on the Steelheads defence, they both looked excellent. My girlfriend liked McLeod, and I couldn't disagree. For Otters, I liked Betz, Strome and number 27, whose name I've missed again. I have the teamsheet somewhere.

After the game, I managed to get Sean Day to sign his card, which I had purchased - I said to my girlfriend when I heard they were doing autographs, that I'd get the guy I liked most in the game to sign his card. So there's a nice honor for him.

All in all, I got a lot of goals - I saw the next big thing in hockey, saw a nice little neighborhood and facility and had a good time.

Thanks for the recommendations and help, I may well just have to keep one eye on the league from now on.

One final thing, does anyone know where I could get a box score on the game (mainly just the goals/assists)? I was keeping on myself but at one point I came out of the app and forgot to save it, so lost a few and couldn't remember the assists on the goals.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Hey, thought I'd give you guys an update after all your help.

My girlfriend and I eventually decided we wanted to go to Oakville, on the off chance of seeing Connor McDavid, after watching a few Youtube videos.

So we headed from Danforth on the GO! train through to Oakville, which has a nice little area of retail parks at the station, so we got lunch there then headed on the 19 bus, because that's what Google maps said. It took us through some really damn nice looking housing estates - I mean every turn was just more nice big houses, there's nowhere that's as consistently safe and clean looking in the UK, haha. How do you guys do it? Walking up to the rink wasn't as easy, Google had given us a bad route, and we were essentially walking in the side of a 4-lane (each side) 60km/h road with no sidewalk for most of it. I noticed that the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex isn't particularly accessible on foot from any angle though, definitely made for cars.

But the complex itself was pretty impressive to me, I'm sure you guys have stuff like that everywhere, but we'd kill for something like that in UK hockey. 3 training rinks and a lovely little 1500 seat arena at the end of it. To put it into perspective, Disney on Ice take my local teams arena for the month of September, so our guys train 1 hour away from our home rink and play on the road all month, because that's how far away the next decent sized rink is.

But yeah, all very nice, all very clean - I loved the Oakville community a lot. I was getting looks from my girlfriend as if to say we should be living here! Haha.

$5 to get in, fantastic. Got myself a puck, my girlfriend got a Steelheads shirt, and I got a set of cards to have a look at the team. The game itself was pretty damn good, thankfully McDavid was in the lineup, couldn't have been happier as he didn't play many exhibitions. But he wasn't the only talent on show by a long shot. A lot of guys impressed me, the teams were perhaps a little undisciplined defensively at times - but that may just have been the fact it was an exhibition game too. We got a show from McDavid, with 5 points - one particularly awesome assist for number 12 (who's name I forget :( ), who reaped the rewards of being on McDavid's line all night, but looked pretty good himself.

Wasn't a big fan of the Otter's goalie, but may have been a backup, as it was an exhibition? Felt he sold them short, and was the difference in the game, as Steelheads goalie was pretty solid. I liked Sean Day and Nick Zottl on the Steelheads defence, they both looked excellent. My girlfriend liked McLeod, and I couldn't disagree. For Otters, I liked Betz, Strome and number 27, whose name I've missed again. I have the teamsheet somewhere.

After the game, I managed to get Sean Day to sign his card, which I had purchased - I said to my girlfriend when I heard they were doing autographs, that I'd get the guy I liked most in the game to sign his card. So there's a nice honor for him.

All in all, I got a lot of goals - I saw the next big thing in hockey, saw a nice little neighborhood and facility and had a good time.

Thanks for the recommendations and help, I may well just have to keep one eye on the league from now on.

One final thing, does anyone know where I could get a box score on the game (mainly just the goals/assists)? I was keeping on myself but at one point I came out of the app and forgot to save it, so lost a few and couldn't remember the assists on the goals.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Sounds like one hell of a trip. I'm actually a Steelheads season ticket holder from Oakville and oddly enough work in the facility it was held at. It is quite a state of the art building. Only thing holding us back from an OHL franchise is seating #'s (OHL arenas I think need a minimum of 2,500) and demographics (It's an older community but almost 700-800 people get out for the local Jr A team on Friday nights).

Glad you had a blast and got to see a good hockey game and some future stars!

Torts

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Andy: yes that was Erie's backup, Daniel Dekoning. Very little OHL experience.

#12 was Alex DeBrincat
#27 was Trent Fox

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Only thing holding us back from an OHL franchise is seating #'s (OHL arenas I think need a minimum of 2,500) and demographics (It's an older community but almost 700-800 people get out for the local Jr A team on Friday nights)
Torts

The smallest arena in the league is 3000 in Owen Sound - but that's a legacy situation. North Bay had to boost their capacity up over 4000 before that arena was considered adequate.

I'm sure any new team or new arena would need at least a 4000 seat arena or the promise to build one to be considered. And 5000 or 6000 seats is more realistic if you ever hope to host a memorial cup.

OTOH 700-800 for an Tier 2 game (or whatever they call that level now) - is pretty decent for that league.

Andy500
So glad you made it to a game.
Thanks for the report and info on hockey in the UK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad