OHL Draft Lottery and Future of Development in OHL

Do you believe the OHL draft should keep this format moving forward ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
OHL to Conduct First-Ever Draft Lottery in Advance of Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore on June 4-5 – Ontario Hockey League

For as much as this may seem like a surprise it shouldn't be to fans with all the delays and no season this year the OHL had to be able to continue forward with development of players and a draft lottery is one of those ways.

If this is the new norm for the OHL draft I'm okay with it personally as long as they adapt and then leave the changes in place permanently once hockey returns.

If it was me here's how I'd conduct it this year all 20 teams get a fair shake assuming that the worst teams would've improved to middle of the pack teams this season so teams that would've been placed 8, 9, 10, in each conference and shift them up to say 5, 6, 7, in each conference the teams who would have progressed to top spot pick last half the draft so 18, 19, 20, and so on.

Allow draft pick trades from rounds 2-15 (picks only) say no later then the day before the draft, and say put the cutoff time to 12 midnight the night before draft day. Each team submit their draft selections to the league office by cut-off time and that's how they pick.

Keep all the same rules as a normal draft year, and (X number of minutes for each pick say 10 minutes in the first 3 rounds, and so on till the draft conclusion.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So how would this work with exceptional player status?? For instance in 2019 the 67s had the best record in the league in the lottery they get Shane Wright?? In 2012 when McDavid was the first pick and London won the draft lottery you put McDavid on London?? That's a real slippery slope and would hurt the viability of the league going forward.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So how would this work with exceptional player status?? For instance in 2019 the 67s had the best record in the league in the lottery they get Shane Wright?? In 2012 when McDavid was the first pick and London won the draft lottery you put McDavid on London?? That's a real slippery slope and would hurt the viability of the league going forward.

This is a one year deal and then they will go back to the normal way of determining draft positions... worst to first in reverse order and follow that through each round.

Since there is a tremendous amount of turnover year to year in major junior hockey, it is reasonable for the league to take this approach. The players that contributed to the 67s leading the league two years ago are mostly all gone now. Maintaining the standings for drafts two years in a row isn't reasonable with such turnover and player graduation.

This is fine for a one year option under the circumstances. I wouldn't look at this as a new way forward. There is absolutely no need for a lottery. The league is built on "tanking" at the deadline so it's not like it's an unacceptable practise that needs to be curtailed by a lottery.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is a one year deal and then they will go back to the normal way of determining draft positions... worst to first in reverse order and follow that through each round.

Since there is a tremendous amount of turnover year to year in major junior hockey, it is reasonable for the league to take this approach. The players that contributed to the 67s leading the league two years ago are mostly all gone now. Maintaining the standings for drafts two years in a row isn't reasonable with such turnover and player graduation.

This is fine for a one year option under the circumstances. I wouldn't look at this as a new way forward. There is absolutely no need for a lottery. The league is built on "tanking" at the deadline so it's not like it's an unacceptable practise that needs to be curtailed by a lottery.

I am fine with a one year thing I still think just having 20 teams with an equal chance isn't in the best interests of the league but neither was punting a season but here we are.

Reactions: NOA

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sounds fair to me as a one year thing. As OMG said because of the roster turnover in junior hockey you can't assume where a team would finish from previous year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I like the idea of keeping the lottery. I don’t like the equal odds lottery, but that is the only thing that’s fair for this year. I’d want an NHL style lottery for the non-playoff teams in following years. It won’t entice teams to try and win every single year, but it might get rid of teams tanking so hard that they are in last by a mile at the trade deadline.

I don’t think the snake draft idea makes any sense in the long term though. Every 2nd round pick gets traded multiple times before it is actually used in a draft, so the odds of the team with the 1st overall pick having to wait until the end of the 2nd round to pick again are very slim, so on and so fourth with the rest of the picks.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Watch London get the number 1 pick
I'd almost like to see London win it so these boards explode...lol. All the conspiracy theorists would come out in droves and it would be quite entertaining. At the end of the day London are what they are because of hard work and building a destination players want to go to. Don' t buy all the other stuff personally.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd almost like to see London win it so these boards explode...lol. All the conspiracy theorists would come out in droves and it would be quite entertaining. At the end of the day London are what they are because of hard work and building a destination players want to go to. Don' t buy all the other stuff personally.

Who cares if they win? About every second or third year they get a top 5 quality player to report after using the late pick to acquire anyway.

Don't take this as a burn on London, though. All the power to them for being able to create and maintain a program that entices players to forgo their NCAA scolarship committment and choose their program.

It is better for London to have those players than the NCAA from an OHL perspective.

If London gets a top 5 pick, good for them! You won't see me bitching about any particular team getting any particular pick. What is fair for one is fair for all and this is fair for all.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

That is an opinion.
Not 1 i agree with.
#londonfavors.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Watch London get the number 1 pick
I actually don't care who gets the first pick. Besides London was not going to be that great this year anyway. I don't even think they have any U18 players. It is like OMG says this draft is a crapshoot. Nobody has a playbook on how to scout during a pandemic. At some point things will return to normal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another thought to consider... most teams will suit up 9-10 rookies depending on the status of their Import additions.

This alone will make for a very difficult prediction on which teams are or will truly be top 6 or 8 in the League this season.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Who cares if they win? About every second or third year they get a top 5 quality player to report after using the late pick to acquire anyway.

Don't take this as a burn on London, though. All the power to them for being able to create and maintain a program that entices players to forgo their NCAA scolarship committment and choose their program.

It is better for London to have those players than the NCAA from an OHL perspective.

If London gets a top 5 pick, good for them! You won't see me bitching about any particular team getting any particular pick. What is fair for one is fair for all and this is fair for all.

This draft is going to be shown online correct?? Or at least all 20 GMs will be able to watch it unfold???

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I actually don't care who gets the first pick. Besides London was not going to be that great this year anyway. I don't even think they have any U18 players. It is like OMG says this draft is a crapshoot. Nobody has a playbook on how to scout during a pandemic. At some point things will return to normal.

Having U18 players is more a measurement for future teams than present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad