OHL - Buyers or Sellers?

Arsenault

Mar 12, 2012
What teams will be either or?

Here is my view for the east

Barrie feels like they can take a run at it and does have enough depth that they could part with some young players with value. Fully expect them to go all out this year and be buyers.

Belleville has to do something as the core of their team will be gone next year plus have little in the reserve for next year; so after this year for them its back to the drawing board with rebuilding. This is their year, expect them to be buyers.

Ottawa is also likely to try and upgrade as they really do believe that the team is under performing -which they are- and maybe 1-2 trades could push them back into contention. Afterall the East is not a very though division to come out off. Buyers

Sudbury has to do something as they do not have the core of players to go very deep in the playoffs even with a few upgrades and their fans are becoming restless. In addition even if they opted to upgrade their team and go for it they have few decent young prospects for bait, therefore have little to offer. Expect at least 3, likley 4 veterans not to finish the year off in Sudbury. Sellers

Probably the most interesting team will be Niagara as I believe they might actually be sellers as they likely realize that they cannot win it all and are more concern about filling up the new arena once it is built than extending their current season. Plus they have the goods to attack an excellent offers from any serious contender. Sellers

As to the rest, would not be surprise to have Brampton shop around for interest in Percy has he could give them some good prospects for when they settle in North Bay next season.

Peterborough will also be sellers as they try to rebuiild their program. Currently I think their priority is to build a coaching staff and then have them find the right players.

Expect Oshawa to pretty much stay put as they have a team good enough to win maybe 1 or 2 playoff rounds which will be valuable for next year which they feel will be their year. Do not expect Kingston to do much either for same reason as Oshawa.

In the west I would expect London to buy a few players before the trade deadline-of which they already added 1 yesterday. Nothing new here.

Plymouth, Sarnia and Owen Sound will both try to beef up and place themsleves in a better position to go after London, however do not expect Owen Sound to give up anyone "Special" as they see themselves as a 2014 team not 2013

Kitchener likely to sell as they do not have the core to win it all and in Kitchener being a "middle of the pack" club is not good enough. They will be focusing on 2014.

Expect Sault Ste Marie to be sellers, as their new GM as made it clear that his mandate is to clean up the team and give them a start fresh. GM has already signed 96 Miller, Jenkins and Pastourious and would not be surprised if he tries to get them in the line up ASAP to have them gain valuable experience for next year. Dumping some veterans for 95-96 prospects and even draft picks would allow them to do this.

Windsor likely to dump their veterans to rebuild for the next few years as the draft is not about to help their cause for the next few years.

Guelph should do something as they have a fairly veteran team but are likely on the fence not sure whether to go for it or give in and rebuild. Both Saginaw and Erie have little to offer so don't expect much from them, but do expect Erie to be very active prior to 2013 draft, hint, hint .

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I don't see how Oshawa would feel next year is their year when they lose Jenner, Lessio, Petgrave, Schemitsch, Sabourin, Uvira, Sullentrop(possible OA) Jenner is what makes this team tick. If they have any shot at the east it could be this year. They won't make a blockbuster as they don't have the seconds in the cupboard to do it. If the NHL comes back and Jenner is gone ....sell sell sell.

bidzey*

if you're a buyer you better be careful what you give up as you'll probably be doing so in vain. I mean you'll have to beef up a lot if you want any chances on beating London. Maybe Owen Sound, Barrie, or Kitchener might be able to complete a puzzle to compete against London, but if you're buying to go all the way, this is not a good year to sell the farm to give it a go. IMO anyways...

Spitsfan67*

As much as I want the spitfires to sell I really think that Warren and Bob are to stubborn and will still try and make it work, they should just sell Vail and Khoklachev if he comes back and there is supposedly a lot of interest in Jaroslav Pavelka...they should try and get as much as possible for them then trade Meletta, Bateman, Lorentz and Mcnoughton for anything...and restart this reload and hope it doesn't end like this.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
As much as I want the spitfires to sell I really think that Warren and Bob are to stubborn and will still try and make it work, they should just sell Vail and Khoklachev if he comes back and there is supposedly a lot of interest in Jaroslav Pavelka...they should try and get as much as possible for them then trade Meletta, Bateman, Lorentz and Mcnoughton for anything...and restart this reload and hope it doesn't end like this.

Not sure if it is a rumour or wishful thinking but I heard Sarnia along with Larinov working on a trade to get Khoklachev into Sarnia. Only trade bait if true I think we have is DeAngelo and some picks if we are buyers not sellers. Your guys thoughts

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
Not sure if it is a rumour or wishful thinking but I heard Sarnia along with Larinov working on a trade to get Khoklachev into Sarnia. Only trade bait if true I think we have is DeAngelo and some picks if we are buyers not sellers. Your guys thoughts

What would that be, Sarnia's 5th import?;)

Spitsfan67*

In the Windsor star WR Said there going for it next year even though there ******* the bed this season I expect them to do moves that will help them next year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Kinda of stating the obvious here, but Saginaw are sellers. Really they are one good deal away from being contenders next year.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Guelph should do something as they have a fairly veteran team but are likely on the fence not sure whether to go for it or give in and rebuild.

Straight from GM Mike Kelly "40 Percent Chance we do nothing, 30 percent something small and 30 percent something big"

He has also gone on to say he won't give up Dickinson, Garlent or Fabbri. That likely eliminates the chance of a significant deal happening. A small tinkering may still happen as we have a few extra 3rds and 4ths in the next couple years.

I definitely don't think a rebuild is in the cards. I believe the plan all along was to be serious contenders come 13-14. We may have some veteran pieces but a lot of our core will be intact come next season.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ottawa is DEFINITELY rebuilding, and will thus be major sellers going forward, as evidenced by the Ty Graovac trade of this morning.

Expect to see all 18+ year olds on the block, and a firesale to happen in the next little while in Ottawa

bidzey*

OSA turned out ti be both buyer and seller, getting rid of Dotchin for all kinds of future picks, but they were mostly buyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad