OHL 2020-21 season start, etc (waiting on official notification of cancellation)

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
It's mid-March and there are still no concrete plans, regardless of there being "optimism" I don't see it happening. Better to plan ahead to start the 2021-22 season on time and have all the leagues schedules synch up again by October.

Reactions: Garyboy

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I have to think there is an absolute end date around end of June. Kids need to be available for summer things like NHL prospect camps, Hlinka tournament, NHL entry draft. And injury rehab, if applicable.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I have to think there is an absolute end date around end of June. Kids need to be available for summer things like NHL prospect camps, Hlinka tournament, NHL entry draft. And injury rehab, if applicable.

That's the impression I have had this whole time. They don't have the luxury of pushing the season beyond traditional end points. Players need to be free to pursue other opportunities for next season.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
It's even crazier when stricter forms of governments in Quebec and BC eventually came to an agreement with the WHL/LHJMQ respectively yet the OHL somehow cannot?
In all likelihood, it’s a money negotiation. How much is the province willing to hand out and how much are owners willing to spend?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

Unfortunately that sounds like they have a bunch of ducks to get in row before canceling season.

With cases re surging i don't see them having a season. It would make no financial sense having a season with no gate revenue when that is their primary source of revenue.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They should give an exemption to 2020 kids who have spent the year in the AHL to be eligible to play there again next season. It wasn't their fault the OHL cancelled the season, now the development of a guy like Perfetti or Foerster or even Byfield is damaged as their NHL teams face the choice of either promoting them to a level they might not be ready for or going in reverse. It would be the right thing to do, but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
18yos who played in AHL this season can play in OHL next year. (And 19yos can play as overagers) 20yo's/overagers are SOL; but they can take advantage of CHL college scholarships in CIS.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I respect that the OHL is taking this seriously, but at the same time they're ruining kids futures as one of the best junior leagues on the planet. I don't know what the Ontario government or Canada is doing in general, but Covid is here to stay so thinking that this "cleansing rain is going to come to wash away all viruses" is naive logic by them. If they're going to shutdown this season, they should probably shutdown the next two years as well because not even the vaccine makes people impermeable to Covid...just increases the odds of not getting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->