NCAA: Ohio State to sell alcohol at football games

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://nbc4i.com/2016/06/08/alcohol-to-be-sold-stadium-wide-in-new-policy-at-ohio-stadium/

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — The Ohio State University has announced there will be alcohol sales stadium-wide as part of new policies being implemented at Ohio Stadium.

The policy will take effect with the Buckeye Country Superfest June 18 through 19 and then continue for games. Jack Miner of OSU’s athletics council said the university will evaluate whether each concert or special event will have beer sales, but he said that games would have them from now on.

Fans will be able to buy beer inside the Horseshoe, although Miner said there will be limits imposed.

“They’ll check your ID every single time,†Miner said. “They’ll let you buy two beers at a time. It’s not going to be an armload of beer.â€

Miner said the university tested out the program last year in the Club and Suite sections and that it was successful. He said Ohio Stadium would be following in the footsteps of other stadiums that now sell alcohol.

“They see fewer alcohol incidents in the stadium when they allow alcohol sales, because people aren’t chugging beers before walking into the stadium,†Miner said

:popcorn:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You can either regulate it in the stadium or let them get drunk outside and then come in.

That doesn't make any sense. Are they also going to ban tailgating? How prevalent is the "chugging a beer before the game" that this will help combat that? Are they also going to offer grocery store prices? An $8 beer isn't really going to change anything except make the school more money (which they won't be spending on athletes) and get students more rowdy.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
it's beer, they will be fine

if they were selling fifths of vodka or jim beam, that might be cause for concern, but a few miller's or pbrs never hurt anyone really

if anything, it will increase the sales of nachos and cheeseburgers

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You can either regulate it in the stadium or let them get drunk outside and then come in.

Exactly. It's been incorporated at a few schools including WVU now, and I can say with absolute fact that the number of incidents involving drunk behavior is WAY down at WVU games now thanks to this and the rules that they've put in place.

That doesn't make any sense. Are they also going to ban tailgating? How prevalent is the "chugging a beer before the game" that this will help combat that? Are they also going to offer grocery store prices? An $8 beer isn't really going to change anything except make the school more money (which they won't be spending on athletes) and get students more rowdy.

No, what they do is prevent people from doing pass-outs to go outside and back to their tailgate at the half. The school makes more money and the person that's drinking 8 dollar macro-swill at halftime is drinking 16 ozs worth for that price not 12 cans worth. Fewer drunken incidents, more money for the school, trust me this is an idea that works I've seen it first hand over the past 5 or so years since Luck first instated it up at WVU.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I believe you, but it seems to me that the better course of action would be to increase security (which is probably a good idea for every stadium everywhere anyway) instead of enabling it for a cut.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Booze will be served at all college sporting events in the next 25 years and it will be Mardi Gras all year round.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I hope ASU DOESN'T sell beer at Sun Devil Stadium. The school already has a party school reputation.

As I posted above, if ASU allows pass-outs and re-entry for halftime then actually selling alcohol at the stadium and barring pass-outs/re-entry is actually far more effective in barring incidents.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Well, as someone who goes to 3-4 Bama games a year, and was a student there for 4 wonderful years, I will contest that this is an awful idea, and I hope it doesn't come to pass in Tuscaloosa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad