Oh please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Metallian said:
It is a mental killer though, you have to admit. They came out strong in the 1st and somehow ended up down 2 goals. They came out strong in the second and score, only for it to not be counted. Then right after they take a stupid penalty, and get scored on again.

It's enough to make anyone depressed.

Cry me a river. This isn't the first goal to ever be missed or disallowed, particularly in international hockey. Back in the 70's and 80's, the officiating was worse, particularly the diving that was accepted back then. Canada has had it's fair share of non or bad calls. Show some character and come back even harder. They didn't. Despite being outshot, I don't think the game was so one sided as you suggest at the time of the missed goal.

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
NightScout said:
90% of Canadas hits were illegal (hands/elbows to the head, feet off the ice and few of them could've easily been boarding calls)...
:cry: HOCKEY IS A CONTACT SPORT!

NightScout said:
3 or 4 of their 5 their goals were crappy (when Finland scores goals like that they are called "trash goals" by everyone) and Russia and their Malkins were even more disappointing. ...
:biglaugh: they're called trash goals in Canada too, and yet they still count

the truth of the matter is that if the Russians had stayed with playing their game, and not run for cover everytime a Canadian was going to check them, they would have had a better chance at winning.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
NightScout said:
I regret that I stayed up until 5am to watch this game. It was the weakest I've seen in the tournament. 90% of Canadas hits were illegal (hands/elbows to the head, feet off the ice and few of them could've easily been boarding calls), 3 or 4 of their 5 their goals were crappy (when Finland scores goals like that they are called "trash goals" by everyone) and Russia and their Malkins were even more disappointing.

And now I understand why Jack Johnson elbowed Downie and believe him when he said Downie embellished it. Downie was on his knees or face 70% of the time and 25% of the time he was yapping his mouth. Annoying guy.

But this call, a clear goal being disallowed just because the referee can't admit he made a mistake earlier, really made me regret my decision to watch this game...

If the goal counted, would the score have been 5-1? Just because one goal was missed, doesn't mean they would have come back. It happened early in the 2nd period. If the Russians gave up just because of it, then they didn't deserve to win. They had plenty of time to come back. Perhaps what they didn't have plenty of, was character.

rangers

Mar 10, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Capt Tuttle said:
If the goal counted, would the score have been 5-1? Just because one goal was missed, doesn't mean they would have come back. It happened early in the 2nd period. If the Russians gave up just because of it, then they didn't deserve to win. They had plenty of time to come back. Perhaps what they didn't have plenty of, was character.

If you have played any organized sports on a decent level you should be able to realize that sports isn`t math. Had the Russian goal counted they would be down 2-1 with more than half the game to play and carrying the momentum. Instead you get a slap in the face when you`re goal isn`t allowed and when Canada score 3-0 right afterwards you face a tough uphill battle. Russia probably didn`t deserve to win anyway, but there is no question in my mind that we could`ve seen a much different game had the Russian goal been allowed.

GoneAway

I don't think the ref, goal judge, russian players or canadian players had a sniff that that russian goal went in. Thats what no one said anything.

And for the record, the ref didn't go "upstairs", "upstairs" called him a whistle later.
If there was any doubt, the russian bench should of asked the ref to go upstairs.

It was just bad luck that the nets padding was shaped the way it was.

Its unfortunate but these things do happen in hockey.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
This is very typical of Russian Hockey. If they dont win, they whine. They find an excuse. The blame anyone but themselves.

Russia played extremely well the first half of the game. They had more and better chances in the first, and they dominated the first half of the second. However, after the 30 minute mark, down 2-0, they quit.

The Russians need to take a look at themselves. They expected a coronation last night, because their team was so much more talented than the Canadians. I don't know how many times we have to teach them that talent is not nearly as important as drive, desire and effort before they learn, but evidently this year was not that year.

Canada had superior coaching, superior goaltending, a superior defense and a superior attitude. That is why Russia lost.

Oil_slick9416*

Resolute said:
This is very typical of Russian Hockey. If they dont win, they whine. They find an excuse. The blame anyone but themselves.

Russia played extremely well the first half of the game. They had more and better chances in the first, and they dominated the first half of the second. However, after the 30 minute mark, down 2-0, they quit.

The Russians need to take a look at themselves. They expected a coronation last night, because their team was so much more talented than the Canadians. I don't know how many times we have to teach them that talent is not nearly as important as drive, desire and effort before they learn, but evidently this year was not that year.

Canada had superior coaching, superior goaltending, a superior defense and a superior attitude. That is why Russia lost.

my grade 11 gym class had a motto..."it all starts with attitude" you are right, Attitude, not quitting and never giving up is why the canadians won last night.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
rangers said:
If you have played any organized sports on a decent level you should be able to realize that sports isn`t math. Had the Russian goal counted they would be down 2-1 with more than half the game to play and carrying the momentum. Instead you get a slap in the face when you`re goal isn`t allowed and when Canada score 3-0 right afterwards you face a tough uphill battle. Russia probably didn`t deserve to win anyway, but there is no question in my mind that we could`ve seen a much different game had the Russian goal been allowed.

There's no question in your mind??? I think there is a question of whether the game would have changed or not. Just because it would have been 2-1, does that automatically mean Russia would have scored again? No! Would Canada have become even more determined had they allowed the goal? Very likely? After all, Canada displayed more character than the Russians throughout the game. If you've played enough sports, you'd know adversity separtates the winners from the quitters.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Slay said:
The reason that Canadians changed the referee already means that they wanted his benevolence. So basically the first one who questioned referee was Canadian side and probably Sutter himself. IMHO the referee didn't made a good job. And I am not talking about missed goal. I didn't like what kind of job he done especially in the 1st period. His bias or unprofessionalism stood out to me (few missed calls and few "fantom" calls).

About the missed goal. Referee knew there was a goal since he contacted with someone on the phone but he ignored everything. It all ruined the game, mental killer as it was already mentioned here. Canada very well deserved this victory but the referee left bad sediment from his job.
Classic Russian response to defeat. "It's not our fault, it was the refs!" :cry:

Canada won 2 games by a combined score of 13-1. With or without that single goal there is NO QUESTION who the better team was.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Phanuthier said:
Wow, if anyone ever wondered why Russia lost, this is why. They were probably too busy crying about the goal that they forgot to play the game.

:biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

You still had half a game, coach.

Umm, captain, isn't it your job to talk to the ref?

Did you know it was in, Malkin? If you didn't, how would the ref know?

... and you didn't figure that out when you lost 8-1?

some of the things you say are true but somewhat scewed - what kinda of tournament is this though - how could they blow that call? - total bush league

the russians were robbed - as for the canadian fans booing the american team - proud moments for sure

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I wonder if the goal judge had access to the net cam? The usual goal judge camera (above the net, pointing down) didn't show anything, if the netcam isn't there, no one in the world would have known it was in.

I'm guessing someone called the Russian bench and told them it was a goal, and thats when they asked the ref to go upstairs.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
rangers said:

It's entirely possible that the game would have had a different outcome had the goal been noticed in time, but if you're just gonna quit after having a missed call go against you, you don't deserve to win.

cfrancis

Thing with the goal, no one really was to blame for it not being reviewed in time. No one reacted, Russian, Canadian, referee. If someone had reacted that it was a goal, it probably would have been reviewed and counted. It was an unfortunate thing. But Russia didn't show up to play.

The officiating was even both ways, there were some questionable hits on Canada's side but there was countless interference and holding calls let go on Russia's side. Ask Blunden how he likes wrestling in front of the net.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Malkin's searching for excuses. His team fired 15 shots at Pogge in the first 15 minutes. They got no goals. That's why they lost. They actually had several quality chances to score in the minutes after the missed goal, but couldn't beat Pogge. They did not get the job done. Just like Canada did not get the job done in 2002.

Was it unfortunate? Yes. Did it cost the Russians the game? No. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Maybe Malkin should stop looking for excuses, and start thinking of ways he can overcome strong physical play by opposing defencemen and forwards, because come Olympic time, he'll be facing players bigger, stronger, faster and better at shutting down the opponent than Staal and Parent.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Slay said:
About the missed goal. Referee knew there was a goal since he contacted with someone on the phone but he ignored everything.

I don't know how you would know this. I think it's far more likely he was waved over during the first stoppage in play because the video guys in the booth called down to tell him about goal.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The Russian response to the outcome of this game is clearly frustration. Eventually they will realize that they got beat by a better TEAM, and that hockey is a TEAM game. No doubt they had easily the most talented player in the tournament, but talent alone won't win it for you. Paying the price and playing as a team, and with composure is what wins it for you.

cfrancis

Macman said:
I don't know how you would know this. I think it's far more likely he was waved over during the first stoppage in play because the video guys in the booth called down to tell him about goal.

This is what happened. The overhead horn went to call the ref to the box. Then he got on the blower to upstairs and they told him the news.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
The officiating was atrocious. Like I said before - these are the examples:

First period - 13 minutes into the game Russia is on PP, Zubov is tripped by Goaltender right in front of the referee, 6 feet away. Easy call for 5 on 3 PP, no-call.

Again first period - Russia on PP, 3 seconds left in the period when Boyd just wrestles down Emelin, EASY CALL! Should have been 5 on 3 for 1 min 40 seconds, almost a guaranteed goal - no call. These are just two examples.

But how about the second period when Canada had only ONE!!! penalty when the ref closed his eyes on at least three more!

These days, at this level a referee can definitely decide the outcome of the game.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
NightScout said:
That's actually just pretty sad. Why can't every team choose a ref that suits their style of play?
Seemed to suit Russia's style just fine. They showed up when it came to the physical play. They just forgot to score 5 goals.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
McGuillicuddy said:
At this level, and in this day and age, refs are never on anybody's side. Ever. They are professionals. Anybody who thinks that a referee makes a conscious decision to be biased against a particular team is either stupid or paranoid. Like everybody else in the world, referees try to be the best they can be at their jobs, and that means to call it as they see it. It is not in the best interest of a referee's career to be biased at any time!! That is not to say that they are always correct, because we know that's not true. But anybody who thinks that refs are "out to get" you, or are "against" you, is just looking for excuses.

Ever see the women's final of the 2002 Olympics?

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
ryz said:
Classic Russian response to defeat. "It's not our fault, it was the refs!" :cry:

I thought I pointed out that Canada well deserved this victory, also I pointed out on referee's serious mistake and overall not great job which is always should be recognized and not hushed up. And now please point me out where I have said that Russia deserved the victory in this game.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Is there ever some sore losers here...The game wasnt over at 2-0 despite the goal that should have counted. If the Russians want to blame the loss on that mistake well ill be the first to say that they are a bunch of losers. A real team forgets about it and works harder to win. Not everything is fair BTW, i remember couple years ago in czech republic during the finals, during the last minute of the game Russian goalie deliberatly moves the nets off when Canada is buzzing in Russia's zone, should hve been a penalty shot, the referee doesnt see it, Canada loses. Tough break. However it wasnt why Canada lost and they didnt talk about missed call after the game, rather the fact that they had a 2-0 lead and lost.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This season, Bryan Smolinski of the Sens scored on the Leafs but it wasn't counted because no one had noticed that it had gone in.

Replays showed that it had, but no one on the ice made a fuss and play continued.

Murray was pretty peeved by the first intermission that it hadn't counted, once word had gotten to him, but, and here's the important part, they still won the game despite missing a goal.

It IS possible folks.

cfrancis

Siberian said:
The officiating was atrocious. Like I said before - these are the examples:

First period - 13 minutes into the game Russia is on PP, Zubov is tripped by Goaltender right in front of the referee, 6 feet away. Easy call for 5 on 3 PP, no-call.

Again first period - Russia on PP, 3 seconds left in the period when Boyd just wrestles down Emelin, EASY CALL! Should have been 5 on 3 for 1 min 40 seconds, almost a guaranteed goal - no call. These are just two examples.

But how about the second period when Canada had only ONE!!! penalty when the ref closed his eyes on at least three more!

These days, at this level a referee can definitely decide the outcome of the game.

Need we outline the Russian penalties that weren't called? Or the Russian dives that weren't called? It goes on.... There were non-calls both ways. Fact is Russia got outplayed.

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
Canada won because it's a team game, and a team effort. Individual skill is only good if you have the depth to compliment it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->