Ogopogo's "Greatest NHL Careers" update

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
You could take a season in say the 1980's where Gretzky might get 205 points and then the next 10 guys have between 108 and 99 points. The 5th,6th and 7th place guy could be tied at 103 points and the 8th and and 9th guys have 102 and 101 points. It seems silly to rate the guys with 1 more point as being so much more dominant. Especially if some of the guys had huge playoffs other did not. One guy might be an elite defensive forward as well as getting 102 or 103 points while another guy is horrible defensively. If Rob Brown and Ron Francis and Steve Yzerman get the same number of points clearly one of them is not the 2-way player the others are.

It'd be incredibly difficult to do, but it'd be interesting to factor in the standard deviation of the top-x number of players. For example, coming in second when two players are far ahead of the pack would be worth more than coming in second when there are five guys who are close together.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Ok, well this may be just me...and let me say that I think you have done a great job putting a list like this together, it takes a lot of balls, but according to your definition of greatness I cant fathom how Kurri is below Naslund?

I mean, sure Naslund had 3 great seasons, but Kurri's 3 greatest seasons were at least as good as his, and he finished top 10 in scoring multiple other times as well. Then you can take into account the fact he is 3rd all time in playoff goals and points as well as 5 stanley cups...and you have a great player who (at least as of 06/07 season), career wise, peak wise, and greatness wise is far, far superior to both Crosby and Naslund.

Kurri:
9th in points 82/83
7th in points 83/84
2nd in goals, 2nd in points 84/85
4th in points, 1st in goals 85/86
2nd in points, 3rd (T) in goals 86/87
8th in points 88/89

Naslund:
2nd in points, 5th in goals 01/02
2nd in points, 2nd in goals 02/03
4th in points, 7th in goals 03/04

Crosby:
6th in points 05/06
1st in points 06/07

Crosby and Naslund were Hart and Pearson winners/finalists. I'm guessing that puts them ahead.

I think that's one thing that hurts this system. Players who play during eras where there were dominant players get hurt. If Naslund played during Kurri's years or Kurri during Naslund's, I think you'd see them end up in different positions.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nothing anecdotal or subjective about the actual Hart and Norris balloting. Johnson spent more time near the top of those votes than did Lapointe or Lowe.

That's not satisfying either, because as Phillippe Boucher and Dan Boyle's position in the balloting this year shows, a lot of these rankings are unreliable.

Also, if we were to look at balloting and awards, you could come away with the belief that Sergei Fedorov was better than Yzerman on account of his great seasons in 1994 and 1996 because of his Hart, Pearson and Selke Trophies, All-Star teams and Stanley Cups. But clearly you've made adjustments because you know more about the situation.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Sometimes you just gotta rely on what your eyes tell ya and stats and formulas be damned.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, this is pretty spot-on at the top and pretty spotty at the bottom. Since it's forumla-based, this is bound to happen. Among skaters it's practically flawless down to #18. Among goalies, you have the 7 best in the top 7. I have Hall 3rd myself but I credit you for acknowledging that he was better than his contemporaries Sawchuk and Plante.

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
That's a very interesting list. I'm not going to dispute any of the rankings because I realize it's formula based and everybody is going to have different opinions about what variables should be used and what weight they should receive. All in all though I think it's pretty representative. What impresses me is that players like Tom Anderson and Paul Thompson didn't slip through the cracks. That tells me it's a pretty good ranking system. Good job!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's an admirable project, but there are still more than a few kinks to be worked out.

The Naslund/Kurri thing mentioned previously stands out - one Hart nomination clearly holds way too much weight. We see this again, when a player like Yashin with 1 great season is ahead of Michel Goulet, who was a post-season All-Star 5 times between 1982-88 and top-10 in scoring 4 times.

It seems to be a consistent thing that guys who were clearly top-10 players in the 1980s but had little/no chance of winning a Hart behind Gretzky/Lemieux will be rated behind lesser players from the post-1994 period who managed to throw themselves into Hart contention once in a much weaker field.

Good to hear you're going to address the top-7 or nothing thing which has been a problem every time you do this. Some sort of weighted gradient from 1st-20th in scoring makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Any list with that many players is hard, but whatever the formula the last addition should be "common sense".

Potvin at 34 had me baffled, Messier at 35 as well.
Thornton over Forsberg, Iginla over Stasny, Naslund over LaFontaine or fedorov or Lindros or Bure... etc etc.... just make no sense.

Ogopogo*

Ok, well this may be just me...and let me say that I think you have done a great job putting a list like this together, it takes a lot of balls, but according to your definition of greatness I cant fathom how Kurri is below Naslund?

I mean, sure Naslund had 3 great seasons, but Kurri's 3 greatest seasons were at least as good as his, and he finished top 10 in scoring multiple other times as well. Then you can take into account the fact he is 3rd all time in playoff goals and points as well as 5 stanley cups...and you have a great player who (at least as of 06/07 season), career wise, peak wise, and greatness wise is far, far superior to both Crosby and Naslund.

Kurri:
9th in points 82/83
7th in points 83/84
2nd in goals, 2nd in points 84/85
4th in points, 1st in goals 85/86
2nd in points, 3rd (T) in goals 86/87
8th in points 88/89

Naslund:
2nd in points, 5th in goals 01/02
2nd in points, 2nd in goals 02/03
4th in points, 7th in goals 03/04

Crosby:
6th in points 05/06
1st in points 06/07

The main difference between Kurri and Naslund is that Naslund was near the top of the Hart Trophy balloting each of those three seasons. Kurri never had any consideration for the Hart. That makes Naslund's top three seasons superior to Kurri's in my book.

What makes this tough to say is, I hate the Canucks and Kurri is my 2nd favorite player of all time!

Ogopogo*

Hypothetically:

Player A records 9 goals and 70 assists for 79 points.

Player B records 30 goals and 55 assists for 85 points.

Player B has, in my opinion, had the better season. Even if we assume an assist and a goal are of equal value, he simply has more points. Based on the 2007 NHL season, neither of his totals place him in the top 10.

Player A, however, has landed in the top 5 for assists in 2007, despite having what most would consider to be an inferior season.

Would player A get "credit" in your system for a top-5 playmaking season, while player B gets nothing?

(I believe you used to do things this way, but I'm not sure if you still do)

I just ask because I get the impression that Oates has been given some extra points here for being a player who's offense is skewed very much towards one end of the spectrum.

Yes, you do have a decent idea of how it works.

Assists are only 1/3 of the scoring totals I use so, it has to be a phenomenal rating in assists to move a guy up the list. As I said, Oates is the #3 playmaker of all time and that moves him up quite a bit. Playmaking is one of the most important skills in the game.

Ogopogo*

Crosby and Naslund were Hart and Pearson winners/finalists. I'm guessing that puts them ahead.

I think that's one thing that hurts this system. Players who play during eras where there were dominant players get hurt. If Naslund played during Kurri's years or Kurri during Naslund's, I think you'd see them end up in different positions.

No, I have taken that into account. Players end up where their careers put them. There is no way to be buried and miss out on your due.

If a player was consistently 3rd best in the NHL behind Gretzky and Lemieux for a decade, that player would probably be #5 or #6 on this list. There was no such player.

Ogopogo*

That's not satisfying either, because as Phillippe Boucher and Dan Boyle's position in the balloting this year shows, a lot of these rankings are unreliable.

Also, if we were to look at balloting and awards, you could come away with the belief that Sergei Fedorov was better than Yzerman on account of his great seasons in 1994 and 1996 because of his Hart, Pearson and Selke Trophies, All-Star teams and Stanley Cups. But clearly you've made adjustments because you know more about the situation.

I disagree. I have not made adjustments to move Yzerman ahead of Fedorov artificially.

The hockey writers get to see NHL games more than any of us here. Although their balloting isn't perfect, it is better than any one person's eyewitness account (How many times did YOU see the LA Kings play this year?) and it is quantifiable. The balloting records are the most reliable eyewitness accounts available.

Ogopogo*

Wow, this is pretty spot-on at the top and pretty spotty at the bottom. Since it's forumla-based, this is bound to happen. Among skaters it's practically flawless down to #18. Among goalies, you have the 7 best in the top 7. I have Hall 3rd myself but I credit you for acknowledging that he was better than his contemporaries Sawchuk and Plante.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ogopogo*

That's a very interesting list. I'm not going to dispute any of the rankings because I realize it's formula based and everybody is going to have different opinions about what variables should be used and what weight they should receive. All in all though I think it's pretty representative. What impresses me is that players like Tom Anderson and Paul Thompson didn't slip through the cracks. That tells me it's a pretty good ranking system. Good job!

Thanks for the feedback.

Ogopogo*

It's an admirable project, but there are still more than a few kinks to be worked out.

The Naslund/Kurri thing mentioned previously stands out - one Hart nomination clearly holds way too much weight. We see this again, when a player like Yashin with 1 great season is ahead of Michel Goulet, who was a post-season All-Star 5 times between 1982-88 and top-10 in scoring 4 times.

It seems to be a consistent thing that guys who were clearly top-10 players in the 1980s but had little/no chance of winning a Hart behind Gretzky/Lemieux will be rated behind lesser players from the post-1994 period who managed to throw themselves into Hart contention once in a much weaker field.

Good to hear you're going to address the top-7 or nothing thing which has been a problem every time you do this. Some sort of weighted gradient from 1st-20th in scoring makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Actually, Naslund received a significant amount of consideration for the Hart three times not just once. That makes a difference. Being heavily considered for the Hart means you are one of the game's very best. IMO, that is more significant than winning post season all star awards at a weak position.

If a player was to consistently finish 3rd behind Gretzky and Lemieux, they would be about #5 or #6 on this list. I take that kind of thing into account and there is no player that is misplaced because they were buried behind others.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ogopogo*

Any list with that many players is hard, but whatever the formula the last addition should be "common sense".

Potvin at 34 had me baffled, Messier at 35 as well.
Thornton over Forsberg, Iginla over Stasny, Naslund over LaFontaine or fedorov or Lindros or Bure... etc etc.... just make no sense.

Not sure why you are baffled. Some players have a significant amount of legendary status that transcends their true accomplishments - that describes Messier's career. I love Messier but, 35 is where he belongs.

The others all have their spot on the list based on their accomplishments.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Yes, you do have a decent idea of how it works.

Assists are only 1/3 of the scoring totals I use so, it has to be a phenomenal rating in assists to move a guy up the list. As I said, Oates is the #3 playmaker of all time and that moves him up quite a bit. Playmaking is one of the most important skills in the game.

I'm not sure I like that idea...it could punish guys who may be consistantly better offensive players, couldn't it? At the end of the day, playmaking and goal scoring are both means to the same end...

Not speaking about Oates specifically, but the theory behind it. Is a guy who had 100 goals and 1200 assists better than a guy who had 500 goals and 800 assists? They both have the same amount of points, and their careers are equal in my books.

In 2004 Scott Gomez lead the league in assists, and had 70 points. Guys like Mats Sundin (75 pts) and Daniel Alfredsson (80 pts) outscored him, but weren't in the top 10 in either offensive category. Both these guys had better offensive seasons that Gomez, but I get the feeling Gomez would have more points in your system? It seems to reward one-dimensional offense ahead of a well-balanced offensive player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not sure why you are baffled. Some players have a significant amount of legendary status that transcends their true accomplishments - that describes Messier's career. I love Messier but, 35 is where he belongs.

The others all have their spot on the list based on their accomplishments.

Messier is ranked 2nd all-time in regular season points.
He's ranked 2nd all-time in playoff points.
He's the only player ever to have captained two different NHL clubs.
Won 2 Harts, a Conn Smythe, 6 Stanley Cups.

No idea how he's ranked 35.
Yeah he's always had haters and people saying his stats were bloated in Edmonton, but c'mon...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Messier is ranked 2nd all-time in regular season points.
He's ranked 2nd all-time in playoff points.
He's the only player ever to have captained two different NHL clubs.
Won 2 Harts, a Conn Smythe, 6 Stanley Cups.

No idea how he's ranked 35.
Yeah he's always had haters and people saying his stats were bloated in Edmonton, but c'mon...

I'm a big Messier booster too, but he does tend to get overrated by those who want to rank the players all-time by career points totals. 35 may be a little low, but it's not that far off. There were a lot more forwards who were more dominating in their times.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I don't remember if you've mentioned this already, but do you currently take into account any of these?:

- Pearson
- Selke
- Calder
- Lady Byng
- Playoff scoring (i.e., 7 pts for leading the playoffs in scoring?)

lemieux32*

Two comments:

1) Saying a 19 year old with two "dominant" seasons makes a better player then arguably one of the greatest pure goal scorers of all time is an absolute joke.

2) I think the fact that Ogopogo gets defensive about every comment that doesn't jibe with his ratings and has yet to say "hey, you know you may be right , I'll have to rethink that" speaks volumes about his rankings.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Due to a lack of available data on goaltenders and difficulty in dealing with the NHL head office in NY to obtain the additional data I need, my goaltending ratings can only go so far. Both Ward and Ranford's only great seasons were winning the Conn Smythe on a cup run.

If the NHL provides me with the additional data I require, perhaps Ranford would end up ahead of Ward but, until then, they are tied.

I'd suggest a closer look into Ranford's career. This explaination is far too vague to give the selection of Ward over Ranford any serious consideration. Surely even you can see this leap of logic in the text of a great NHL career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad