Olympics: OG 2022: Will we see there Crosby, Ovie, Chara ...?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Crosby will be 34 years old. It is not a 40, but the competition level in Canada team could make him out of team.

Ovie: He will be already 36. Even worse than Crosby.

Chara: Hm, will he play as 43 years old? He said, he wants to play some years from now. But how many?

Which star from today will be forced to see it only in TV? Whats your picks?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If NHLers are there Hockey Canada will take Crosby if he is remotely healthy. He's at a level where he goes as long as he is heath, ala Yzerman and Lemieux in the mid 2000s.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah. But if he stays in competitive hockey, he could be still considered for a spot on the roster.

Yeah but how many 44 year old's have represented at the Olympics in Ice hockey? He would probably be the first no?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If there's no NHLers, I think Chara could still crack Slovakia's roster. Assuming he plays somewhere in Europe in 2021-22.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah but how many 44 year old's have represented at the Olympics in Ice hockey? He would probably be the first no?

48 Béla Ordódy, Hungary (1928)
46 Alfred Steinke, Germany (1928)
46 Max Sillig, Switzerland (1920)
44 Chris Chelios, United States (2006)

Teemu Selänne was two weeks short of 44 in 2014. The list may be incomplete due to unknown dates of birth of some players.

Reactions: Skip2myBordyloo

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sid at 34 likely still captains Team Canada and I have zero doubt Ovechkin fully intends on playing at least one more Olympics. Chara depends on Chara, I have little doubt that a 44 year-old Chara still would qualify as one of Slovakia's 7 best defenseman come 2022, unfortunately.

Absolutely infuriating that none of them will be there this year.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Crosby and Ovie will be there if they want to be. Chara probably the same, but I doubt he is playing by then.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Sid will still be a top player at 34.. his work out habits are way too good not to be.

Ovie could drop off significantly by that time, but i mean, how much worse does he have to get to not make it? He'd probably make the team even if he was just a 20 goal 20 assist guy, so im going to say yes.. Plus those Olympics are probably a big reason for him to keep working hard knowing it's his last chance.

Chara is a beast so you never know, the guy will no doubt still be in incredible shape. But i've no idea if he still plays hockey then.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Of course not. The era of NHL players at the Olympics is over. The Olympics are a competing product and the NHL wants the World Cup to be the new premiere international tournament.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
My personal opinion is that you will never see the NHL in the Olympics again, but a conceivable exception could be if the OG is held in North America, where the financial loss is not so great. But even that unlikely contingency would be a function of the ability of the NHL to persuade the IOC that it would be a great deal for them if they permitted the occasional drop-in show-up by the NHL at times when it is convenient. And wouldn't the IOC take all the money to accommodate the NHL's apparent thirst for publicity?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Of course not. The era of NHL players at the Olympics is over. The Olympics are a competing product and the NHL wants the World Cup to be the new premiere international tournament.

100% sure they will play in China, too much potential money to be had. You think the games this past Sept. and the ones scheduled for next season were just for fun?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Take a step back with Sid and Ovy and ask who would make the roster ahead of them?

McDavid will be 25, he's in as your #1 C
Tavares will be 31
Stamkos will turn 32 in 2022
Seguin will turn 30 in 2022
McKinnon will turn 27 in 2022
Monahan will turn 27 in 2022
Scheifle will turn 29 in 2022
Barzal will turn 25 in 2022
I'm sure I am leaving other players out, but you get the idea.

Stamkos might be passed over by younger players. Seguin can kick over to the wing. If you take Sid, then who are your other 3 C?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My personal opinion is that you will never see the NHL in the Olympics again, but a conceivable exception could be if the OG is held in North America, where the financial loss is not so great. But even that unlikely contingency would be a function of the ability of the NHL to persuade the IOC that it would be a great deal for them if they permitted the occasional drop-in show-up by the NHL at times when it is convenient. And wouldn't the IOC take all the money to accommodate the NHL's apparent thirst for publicity?

This post leaves me with several questions. What is the "financial loss" the NHL suffers from participating in the Olympics, and why is it lessened in North America? Why would the NHL have to persuade the IOC to let the NHLers participate when NHLers have already been allowed by the IOC for 30 years? What money would the IOC take to accommodate the NHL? How is the NHL thirsty for publicity when it just refused to participate this year?

Reactions: powerstuck

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Take a step back with Sid and Ovy and ask who would make the roster ahead of them?

McDavid will be 25, he's in as your #1 C
Tavares will be 31
Stamkos will turn 32 in 2022
Seguin will turn 30 in 2022
McKinnon will turn 27 in 2022
Monahan will turn 27 in 2022
Scheifle will turn 29 in 2022
Barzal will turn 25 in 2022
I'm sure I am leaving other players out, but you get the idea.

Stamkos might be passed over by younger players. Seguin can kick over to the wing. If you take Sid, then who are your other 3 C?
Considering canada usually takes 10 centers and like 3 wingers....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad