Jesse Puljujärvi

Miro Heiskanen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Christoffer Sedoff - Topi Niemelä
Olli Juolevi - Anttoni Honka
Juuso Välimäki - Henri Jokiharju

Juuse Saros
Tuukka Rask
Ville Husso

Defensemen take longer to develop, you really think some then 20 year olds called Niemelä or Sedoff will have outgrown NHL regulars like Määttä, Lindell or Nutivaara by then?

Also Rantanen will be in his athletic prime in 2022 and you want to waste him in the 4th line? He'd already contend for the first line in today's team

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Saros is good, really good. Just doesn't get that much ice time because Rinne is even better. Shame we had our best G depth when the quality of attackers and defenders was as bad as it was for this decade.

What about Husso or Vehviläinen?

Vehviläinen skyrocketed this year, and Husso's solid for his age

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Defensemen take longer to develop, you really think some then 20 year olds called Niemelä or Sedoff will have outgrown NHL regulars like Määttä, Lindell or Nutivaara by then?

Also Rantanen will be in his athletic prime in 2022 and you want to waste him in the 4th line? He'd already contend for the first line in today's team

Barkov was 18 at sochi olympics and Määttä 19. Aho and Laine played in World Cup before they had played in NHL. special talents find theyre way but i admit my lineup is unrealistic i quess i made it with tongue-in-cheek

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Barkov was 18 at sochi olympics and Määttä 19. Aho and Laine played in World Cup before they had played in NHL. special talents find theyre way but i admit my lineup is unrealistic i quess i made it with tongue-in-cheek

I know but Finland wasn't even nearly as good on paper as they project to be in 2022, that roster will be a lot tougher to crack unless you are a Barkov/Laine level prospect.

I'm sure one or two of those players might make it but in terms of forwards they won't be used ahead of Rantanen and in terms of defensemen it's going to take a lot to be ready for it at 20.

For example I don't think Sochi Määttä would make it to the 2022 roster.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Ages are at the end of 2022

Canada

Forwards

Lafreniere (21) - McDavid (25) - MacKinnon (27)
Marchand (34) - Crosby (35) - Bergeron (36)
Hall (31) - Barzal (25) - Stamkos (32)
Benn (34) - Scheifele (29) - Seguin (30)
HM: Tavares. Swapped Scheiefele with Barzal because I think Hall / Barzal would work better than Scheifele on that line.

Defense
Vlasic (35) - Doughty (33)
Ekblad (26) - Subban (33)
Morrissey (27) - Pietrangelo (32)
HM: Parayko, Tanev, & Rielly

Goalies
Murray (28)
Holtby (33)
Price (35)

Real no good upcoming Canadian goaltenders besides Murray that's young and Carter Hart I'm not sure if he'll be ready by the 2022 Olympics. The defense is hard to theorize considering how the recent drafts didn't really produce any high-end Canadian defenseman.

Edit: This team would be much more deadly if they had younger defenseman that were on the rise.

There are too many 30-somethings in this lineup for my liking. But HC was more worried about jacking up ticket prices for international events and monetizing every single aspect of the sport so that working-class kids couldn't participate in it than it was about strengthening the developmental system. The 1985s and Sid made some people actually believe Salmond and Nicholson were competent, if you can believe it. But how many times can you go back to an old well? I would rather see 3-4 additional guys in their 20s show up on this list, because the tournament will be very fast, very intense, and feature a lot of high-level hockey in a short period of time. All this lineup does - and I think it is a very accurate one - is show how much Hockey Canada spun its wheels and picked its nose after winning in Vancouver in 2010. Also, goaltending is not good. After 15+ years of net-minding woes in Canada, the tall foreheads at Hockey Canada have still not been able to produce any tall, athletic (or just athletic) goalies who can steal a game or a period at the world-class level. Going back to 2001 and 2002, people looked at unfolding events at the world juniors and said something needed to be done. But Nicholson's HC was too busy pricing fans out Hockey Canada events to bother with making goal-tending development (and the cost of playing goal) better. Nicholson, Salmond, Smith and Pascall (maybe McNabb, too) should have been given the Lester Patrick award for contributions to Murican hockey, because they were/are the greatest outside assets Ann Arbor's ever had (even including the corporate welfare the Muricans get from the NHL).

Bob Nichol-hack was born to be a member of the Edmonton OBC.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My 2022 Team Canada

Forwards:
Nathan MacKinnon
Connor McDavid
Patrice Bergeron
Steven Stamkos
Brad Marchand
Mark Scheifele
Brayden Point
Sidney Crosby
Ryan O'Reilly
John Tavares
Jamie Benn
Mark Stone
Mat Barzal
Taylor Hall

Defensemen:
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Matheson
Josh Morrissey
Drew Doughty
Samuel Girard
Morgan Rielly
Aaron Ekblad
P.K Subban

Goaltenders:
Carey Price
Martin Jones
Matt Murray

LD is significantly weaker than the RD and the LD that was fielded in 2014, but the fact that the LD side is replenished and has tons of potential is good. JoMo has been a work horse and is one of the best young defensive dmen in the league and he'll probably be a big name by then and if his offensive capabilities unleash he'll be in the conversation as an elite defenseman. Rielly should probably be an elite 1D by then and shore up on the defensive side of his game. Matheson has been good at cleaning up the defensive mistakes in Florida and has been a dynamite competitor every time he's thrown on a Canada sweater at the worlds, I expect him to be a solid 1D but not an elite one. Samuel Girard has been terrific as a 19 year old rookie and will be a key cornerstone on a rebuilding and retooling Colorado team, with a couple more seasons under his belt and some bigger steps taken (along with some international experience) he'll more than likely be a serious candidate to make the back end for this Olympic team. Doughty, Pietro, and Subban should still be elite 1Ds by then or damn well near it, and Ekblad will more than likely be solidified as a workhorse 1D.

Forwards are a bit of a question mark, the old guard from the current golden generation will be aged out/aging out but I'm sure they'll still be capable of playing elite, best on best hockey and having solid NHL seasons by then. Of course there's the up and coming generation there too with McDavid, MacK, Scheifele and Barzal that will provide some blinding speed and offensive punch, along with Monahan and Point who have been solid in their young careers.

Price will probably be the starting goaltender in 2022, Martin Jones is just starting to hit his prime now and will probably be an elite goaltender by then with the way he's been playing in San Jose, I could see him giving Price a run for his money. Murray is the best young and proven Canadian goaltender in the NHL and he gets the benefit of the doubt for those 2 Stanley Cups, hopefully with a couple seasons under his belt and with all that time to develop he'll be able to carry the workload in the NHL but he'll most likely be the 3rd string goalie.

All in all it won't be as strong as the 2010 or 2014 teams, and what wouldve been the 2018 team, but it's a solid team that should still be among the favorites to make a run at a gold medal in 2022.

Last edited:

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
F:
Bäckström
Arvidsson
Forsberg
Rakell
W. Karlsson
Landeskog
W. Nylander
Petterson
Andersson
Zibanejad
Wennberg
E. Lindholm
Kempe

D:
Hedman
EK
Klingberg
Dahlin
Ekholm
H. Lindholm
Nemeth

G:
Lehner
Markström

Like that maybe?

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
My 2022 Team Canada

Forwards:
Nathan MacKinnon
Connor McDavid
Patrice Bergeron
Steven Stamkos
Brad Marchand
Mark Scheifele
Brayden Point
Sidney Crosby
Ryan O'Reilly
John Tavares
Jamie Benn
Mark Stone
Mat Barzal
Taylor Hall

Defensemen:
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Matheson
Josh Morrissey
Drew Doughty
Samuel Girard
Morgan Rielly
Aaron Ekblad
P.K Subban

Goaltenders:
Carey Price
Martin Jones
Matt Murray

LD is significantly weaker than the RD and the LD that was fielded in 2014, but the fact that the LD side is replenished and has tons of potential is good. JoMo has been a work horse and is one of the best young defensive dmen in the league and he'll probably be a big name by then and if his offensive capabilities unleash he'll be in the conversation as an elite defenseman. Rielly should probably be an elite 1D by then and shore up on the defensive side of his game. Matheson has been good at cleaning up the defensive mistakes in Florida and has been a dynamite competitor every time he's thrown on a Canada sweater at the worlds, I expect him to be a solid 1D but not an elite one. Samuel Girard has been terrific as a 19 year old rookie and will be a key cornerstone on a rebuilding and retooling Colorado team, with a couple more seasons under his belt and some bigger steps taken (along with some international experience) he'll more than likely be a serious candidate to make the back end for this Olympic team. Doughty, Pietro, and Subban should still be elite 1Ds by then or damn well near it, and Ekblad will more than likely be solidified as a workhorse 1D.

Forwards are a bit of a question mark, the old guard from the current golden generation will be aged out/aging out but I'm sure they'll still be capable of playing elite, best on best hockey and having solid NHL seasons by then. Of course there's the up and coming generation there too with McDavid, MacK, Scheifele and Barzal that will provide some blinding speed and offensive punch, along with Monahan and Point who have been solid in their young careers.

Price will probably be the starting goaltender in 2022, Martin Jones is just starting to hit his prime now and will probably be an elite goaltender by then with the way he's been playing in San Jose, I could see him giving Price a run for his money. Murray is the best young and proven Canadian goaltender in the NHL and he gets the benefit of the doubt for those 2 Stanley Cups, hopefully with a couple seasons under his belt and with all that time to develop he'll be able to carry the workload in the NHL but he'll most likely be the 3rd string goalie.

All in all it won't be as strong as the 2010 or 2014 teams, and what wouldve been the 2018 team, but it's a solid team that should still be among the favorites to make a run at a gold medal in 2022.

Our success in 2022 will depend heavily upon whether or not a handful of other young players surprise us the way Barzal did this year (assuming, of course, that Barzal is the real deal and will continue to be a top-10 forward in the league now that he's been seen and teams and players have a full off-season to prepare and game-plan for his style of play). We cannot rely on McGoat, MacKinnon, Hall, and a few others to carry the load up-front, or Doughty or Pietrangelo to play 30 minutes each on the back-end; we need some young guys to really take a huge step up in their development. Morrissey and Matheson playing at the Olympic level, frankly, terrifies me. And it would be foolhardy to lean heavily on Sid at the age of 34 with the wars he's been in and his injury history.

The 2018 team could've been the best team ever sent to the Olympics, but you know that Gary and his fellow tribesmen on the BOG were never going to let that happen. It's not "growing the game" if Canada wins these events.

Incredible that Canadians continue to give their money to the New York-based excrement pile that is the NHL (you know, the league that changed the names of divisions and conferences as a way of erasing the league's Canadian past), but I digress.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
F:
Bäckström
Arvidsson
Forsberg
Rakell
W. Karlsson
Landeskog
W. Nylander
Petterson
Andersson
Zibanejad
Wennberg
E. Lindholm
Kempe

D:
Hedman
EK
Klingberg
Dahlin
Ekholm
H. Lindholm
Nemeth

G:
Lehner
Markström

Like that maybe?

why is nemeth there ?

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Team Finland

F:
Aleksander Barkov
Patrik Laine
Mikael Granlund
Jesse Puljujärvi
Sebastian Aho
Teuvo Teräväinen
Mikko Rantanen
Erik Haula
to this point it's easy, but then it gets tricky. here are my guesses:
Artturi Lehkonen
Kasperi Kapanen
Henrik Borgström
Joel Armia
Eeli Tolvanen

D:
Olli Määttä
Miro Heiskanen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell
Sami Vatanen
Markus Nutivaara
Juuso Välimäki

G
Juuse Saros
Tuukka Rask
Antti Raanta

Defence and goalies are pretty clear in my opinion. Maybe Juolevi is good enough @ 2022 to make the team, but we'll see. We also have forwards like Vesalainen, Ma. Granlund and Donskoi who might crack the team.

I saw many posters bring names like Kakko, Simontaival, Kotkaniemi, Räty, A. Honka etc. to their teams. They are too young to make 2022 Olympic Team. Their time might come at the 2026 Olympics.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Since when 21/22 is too young? If they play well in the NHL, then why not. I can see Kakko making the team in 2022.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Since when 21/22 is too young? If they play well in the NHL, then why not. I can see Kakko making the team in 2022.
Well maybe you're right and Kakko will have a small chance making the team. Kotkaniemi? Mmmmhh... I just don't see that happening. Not yet. And the rest of them are pretty clear.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Well maybe you're right and Kakko will have a small chance making the team. Kotkaniemi? Mmmmhh... I just don't see that happening. Not yet. And the rest of them are pretty clear.
Kakko looks like the kind of prospect who will be a difference maker in the NHL by the time he is 21, I think he is very likely to be on the next olympic team. Anyone else drafted after 2017 looks like a long shot, though.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I liked what I saw in the Preds- Avalanche series. The 7th defenseman does not really matters anyway. I think he got a bright future, like a good wine :p

The guy is 26. He'll be lucky to be above the 3rd pair next season on the Avs on one of the worst defensive units in hockey.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Johnny Gaudreau (28)- Auston Matthews (24)- Brock Boeser (25)
Kyle Connor (25)-Jack Eichel (25)- Patrick Kane (33)
Clayton Keller (23)- Vincent Trochek (28) - Ryan Donato (26)
JT Miller (29)-Jack Hughes (21)- Dylan Larkin (25)
Alex Debrincat (24)- Casey Mittlestadt (23)

Zach Werenski (24)- Seth Jones (27)
Jaccob Slavin (27)-Charlie McAvoy (24)
Cam Fowler (30)-John Carlson (32)
Shayne Gostisbehere (29)

Conor Hellebuyck (28)
John Gibson (28)
Thatcher Demko (26)

Reactions: AmericanDream

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
The guy is 26. He'll be lucky to be above the 3rd pair next season on the Avs on one of the worst defensive units in hockey.
Avs make lot of progress in défense
Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
It's not Perfect top 4 but not weak. How many games did you see this year for tell something so stupid.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Avs make lot of progress in défense
Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
It's not Perfect top 4 but not weak. How many games did you see this year for tell something so stupid.
But i agree Nemeth can't play with sweden team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Johnny Gaudreau (28)- Auston Matthews (24)- Brock Boeser (25)
Kyle Connor (25)-Jack Eichel (25)- Patrick Kane (33)
Clayton Keller (23)- Vincent Trochek (28) - Ryan Donato (26)
JT Miller (29)-Jack Hughes (21)- Dylan Larkin (25)
Alex Debrincat (24)- Casey Mittlestadt (23)

Zach Werenski (24)- Seth Jones (27)
Jaccob Slavin (27)-Charlie McAvoy (24)
Cam Fowler (30)-John Carlson (32)
Shayne Gostisbehere (29)

Conor Hellebuyck (28)
John Gibson (28)
Thatcher Demko (26)

at this point, I would tell Trocheck to go spit - 0-4 for answering the call to play for team USA. I would tell Ghost, if available next 2 years you better answer at least once.

Outside of that, this team is pretty damn lethal. I think Hanifin is going to be a top player in a few years, his second half was impressive.

I would have Matthew Tkachuk somewhere on this team, and I have to imagine one of Brady Tkachuk, Oliver Wahlstrom, and Joel Farabee in the mix here as well...make a strong case for Jake Guentzel as well.

dark days are behind us, just need to get an actual best on best to see what we are made of.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
at this point, I would tell Trocheck to go spit - 0-4 for answering the call to play for team USA. I would tell Ghost, if available next 2 years you better answer at least once.

Outside of that, this team is pretty damn lethal. I think Hanifin is going to be a top player in a few years, his second half was impressive.

I would have Matthew Tkachuk somewhere on this team, and I have to imagine one of Brady Tkachuk, Oliver Wahlstrom, and Joel Farabee in the mix here as well...make a strong case for Jake Guentzel as well.

dark days are behind us, just need to get an actual best on best to see what we are made of.

I’m always leery of guys who haven’t played. Just so hard to project. So unless they are total rock stars like Hughes I just leave them off.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’m always leery of guys who haven’t played. Just so hard to project. So unless they are total rock stars like Hughes I just leave them off.
agreed, just saying the likelihood is one of those 3 will be names for 2022 when it is said and done..

also, need Matty Tkachuk there, that dude belongs on this team IMO. I would take him over Miller and Cat right now..

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
agreed, just saying the likelihood is one of those 3 will be names for 2022 when it is said and done..

also, need Matty Tkachuk there, that dude belongs on this team IMO. I would take him over Miller and Cat right now..

Yes probably true

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Ages are at the end of 2022

Canada

Forwards

Lafreniere (21) - McDavid (25) - MacKinnon (27)
Marchand (34) - Crosby (35) - Bergeron (36)
Hall (31) - Barzal (25) - Stamkos (32)
Benn (34) - Scheifele (29) - Seguin (30)
HM: Tavares. Swapped Scheiefele with Barzal because I think Hall / Barzal would work better than Scheifele on that line.

Defense
Vlasic (35) - Doughty (33)
Ekblad (26) - Subban (33)
Morrissey (27) - Pietrangelo (32)
HM: Parayko, Tanev, & Rielly

Goalies
Murray (28)
Holtby (33)
Price (35)

Real no good upcoming Canadian goaltenders besides Murray that's young and Carter Hart I'm not sure if he'll be ready by the 2022 Olympics. The defense is hard to theorize considering how the recent drafts didn't really produce any high-end Canadian defenseman.

Edit: This team would be much more deadly if they had younger defenseman that were on the rise.

Way to many 30 something on your team. Gonna be to slow. Sorry to say but 32 year olds slow down

No love for

marner? Nurse? Monahan? Couturier ? Chycrun ? Chabot? Montour? Theodore ?
Nolan Patrick ? Cody glass ? Makar? Pierre luc Dubois ? Ryan johanssen?

Those are a few stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->