Offsides Review: A message to the nhl...

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
im so deeply set against this rule... it could be a goal against LA scored by Toronto being called back... it wouldnt matter. a goal in an Edmonton philly game being called back. a goal between florida and tampa being called back.

I hope so much this wont be just about us complaining how we are hurt by the calls. its so much bigger. this is a blight on hockey. this is a curse against the fans who want to be able to cheer a goal

if your team gets scored on and its possibly a step offside... sorry buttercup... suck it up... you shouldnt let such a minor little thing cost you a goal. its your own damn fault.

meanwhile... goals are hard to get. if a team does everything necessary to get a goal fairly {except they were an inch offside} then you simply CANT CALL IT BACK!!! its madness

you cant be calling back exciting plays that were accidently technically off the rules... the game needs MORE EXCITEMENT. if there was no intentional cheating... then let it go.

and meanwhile... for those wannabe Nazis that will freak out without replay... how about putting it in for trips and hooks and slashes and crosschecks and highsticks and other DELIBERATE INTENTIONAL CHEATING plays that keep leading to goals

if theres any goals being scored against my team over the years that I will remember and be angry about for years after the fact... its these flagerent missed penalties. the scott walker punch into aaron wards face and then he scores. that crap should be reviewed

but it wont be. they call it a refs discretion to call penalities. they say just live with it, when the ref makes a mistake. human mistake...

so why the idiot stance on these offsides then????!!!! NHL you need to get this fixed.

I turned the tv off in frustration after tonights call. you lost me for an hour as a fan. I wasnt watching your tv commercials. you werent making a penny off me as a fan.

ive done that 3-4 times now this past year. I will be doing it more in the future. and honest to god, if this crap gets worst I might just shut you off permanently

ive been a fan 45 years. I bought a satalite dish to watch your games 30 years ago. I have been subscribing to nhl center ice the last 6-7 years because I am desperate to watch your product. even though I live in alberta and will never be in boston in my life... I made the effort to buy your merchandise and watch your ip.

but you are going to drive me away with this crap
I am with you on this, I think this is a stupid rule, take these stupid coaches challenges away, they do nothing except slow down the game and take away goals that may be offside by a hair. The other thing about it I hate is that often times a coach will take forever to decide to challenge or not, Refs should say you have 10 seconds and then blow the whistle for a face off and start the game again. I wish though they would just eliminate these challenges completely, let the game be decided on the ice.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Worst rule change ever.

"Hmmm, what can we do that will reduce goals and provide lengthy delays... I've got it'!"

For the "get it right" crowd, what about all the times the ref blows the whistle, denies a team an offensive chance and gets it wrong? There is no "get it right" mechanism to give that scoring chance back to that team. Moral of the story: you're never going to really 'get it right' so let's live with a certain amount of human error and take the good with the bad.

P.S. If you really want to "get it right" turn the whole thing over to computers and sensors and then the play will be blown dead instantly, like the rule was intended.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't watch or follow enough football or basketball to comment on the impact of video review in the NBA/NFL.

But hockey and baseball were just fine before video review. Sure, you leave yourself open to those once-in-a-lifetime egregious missed call like Duchene's goal when he was 15 feet offside, or when that perfect game (or was it a no-hitter) was blown by a missed call at 1st base.

I've said before, very few fans in either sport want this video review crap. Because it's just that, crap. I can't understand why business like the NHL and MLB go through such great lengths to provide something to the fans they don't want, a less entertaining product.

Reactions: Strafer

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Dumbest part of offsides, is that the skate must be on the ice.

Treat it like the football goal line.
This is literally all they need to do, and the challenges for offsides are probably reduced by 99%, which is how offsides challenges should be. It's to prevent the totally blown calls ala Duchene.

I've also campaigned for having a limit of how far back they can rewind a play after a goal due to offsides, but this is probably a moot point if the skate off the ice nonsense is done away with.

Reactions: Salem13 and sarge88

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I'd almost warm up to the puck breaking the plane of the goal too instead of we need to see it all the way in malarkey.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Okay so: Seeing that they'll never get rid of the video review they can change the rule that if an offside occurs 30 seconds prior to a goal it's a goal. Also even if 30 seconds hasn't elapsed, if the defending team controls the puck, even for 2 seconds, the goal counts.
No matter if a skate is off the ice, if the puck is off the ice THE GOAL COUNTS!
The other thing I would like to see is the blue line should be WAY more permissive.
What I mean by that is make the blue line a "blurred edge" line. Not a specific edge and/or
make the ***** blueline 18 inches wide to allow more leeway for creativity and a lot less nitpicking.
This game is no longer fun to watch.

Last edited:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I personally think the review should be done at game speed. Don't zoom in, none of this frame by frame bs. Just look at it 3 times at game speed and move on.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I personally think the review should be done at game speed. Don't zoom in, none of this frame by frame bs. Just look at it 3 times at game speed and move on.

So stop the game, but don’t use the technology you stopped the game to use? That’s going to go over really well. While they are seeing it 3x at live speed, the TV and jumbotron will show it slowed down. They’ll inevitably make a bad call, and everyone else watching will know it. Now, not only do you have the stoppage that piss people off, you also did it for nothing. Fans on both sides will be pissed.

Remember, before official video reviews, fans still got to see the replay. However, we could justify linesmen getting it wrong. Nobody is going to justify an off-ice official wasting time AND getting it wrong.

The review was a lousy idea to begin with, but there is no going back.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Like the Toe-in-the-Crease rule, the offsides challenge was created to solve a problem that IMO did not exist. I'm sure there are games that I've watched in my lifetime where a replay showed a missed offsides, but the linesmen generally get the calls right and if they miss it is by inches only. I don't ever recall this being such a major issue that they need to stop the game for multiple minutes after a goal is scored. If they did away with the rule tomorrow I don't know a single hockey fan who would complain.

I feel like the four major sports are having a contest to come up with the worst replay system among the group.

I would use video just for goal/no-goal. And (I saw someone else post this) have the second ref in the press box to call blatant penalties behind the play and obvious dives that were not spotted in real-time, and nothing else.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So wasn't this going to be discussed at the Board of Governors meeting that was held recently? Or was it the GM's winter meeting coming up? I know someone mentioned this was a point of debate for a number of teams and I am curious is there are plans to address this for next season. Anyone know?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
from the GDT because I should have posted here in the first place:
36 goals have been overturned this year. By the middle of December.

that's insane

how on earth can anyone in the league office think that's good for the game, even just from a marketing standpoint?

can you imagine MLB calling back almost 40 home runs in 2 months because the hitter's toe stepped out of the batter's box during his swing? this offsides review is almost on that level of absurdity

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad