Offsides Review: A message to the nhl...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
this really deserves a louder voice than just the gdt. I hope everyone takes a moment to weigh in here. maybe a thread should be created with a poll option but im not going to do that. mods, feel free to merge my thread into a better one if someone wanted to do a poll option

quite simply my message is "it doesnt matter if the call is technically correct or not"

it was NEVER the intent of this rule to undergo the scrutiny of replay to determin if one player on a rush crossed the line a step ahead of the play. There was NO REPLAY when the rule was written.

in fact, the rule was created to stop teams from employing some offensive zone camping. it was just a rule to make the game more exciting and force teams to rush the play into the o-zone instead of firing it up the ice to a guy waiting for a pass

what happened was one day a fluke once-in-a-lifetime blown call happened. and then some idiot with no foresite said lets use replay to make sure this doesnt happen again {but it wasnt going to happen again anyhow because it was a once in a lifetime fluke to begin with}

and now… this mess. the idiots are so concerned getting the call technically correct they have totally ignored the reason for the rule.

hockey's purpose is to entertain ticket buying fans. offense is entertaining. rushing plays that enter the offensive zone are entertaining. no one cares if a play was offside in such a way that it cant be determined at regular speed viewing

a new rule MUST be implemented immediately

allow 1 review at Toronto on ALL GOALS... at regular speed. if its not conclusive 100% obvious the play was offside then just let the freaking goals count.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The NHL is too reactionary, simple as that. Review/coaches challenge may have worked if it was planned better.

As it is, it is terrible for the league between the amount of time coaches have to decide, the millimeter offside plays, and inconsistent goaltender interference reviews.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
:laugh:

They call that Pandora’s Box. You want to walk back time? Everybody over 30 does....

Take away this rule, and the same Boston fans that are against it now will surely scream for it back when TV/scoreboard replays show a guy was off-sides on a goal against us.

It’s too late...people know that they can have a definitive answer and they won’t accept less. It’s part of the game now. Technology doesn’t go away.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
They took back “skate-in-the-crease”...

Couldn’t agree more with this sentiment. AOR is bang on. Intent of the rule. Execution. All of it. Bang on.

S*** like this ruins the game.

That’s a totally different scenario. You’re talking about a rule, not the way a rule is called.

What AOR is asking is for the league to ignore the most accurate information available. That’s like asking cops to drop radar and go back to using their best judgement to assess speeding tickets. If you think people complain about the inaccuracies of radar equipment now, there would be civil unrest if it was left to the ole eyeballs.

10:1, the NHL is going to water down the game more to fix this. By 2025, some idiot will come up with the solution of making the lines 18” wider, thereby fixing the “offsides by a millimeter” situation.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins probably lead the league in overturned goals....

id love if this didnt turn into a 'it hurts us' thread. I broke it out of the game day because in the game day we usually only discuss it when it just effected us.

this problem is a fundamental rules of the game enforcement problem. I wouldnt care if the goals were going against us. there just shouldnt be any time that a goal ever gets called back over anything this stupid

I mean... theres a good reason for not allowing high sticks to deflect pucks. high sticks are dangerous

theres a good reason not to allow crashing the goalie

theres a good reason not to encourage kicking with skates in scrums around the net

its a good reason to not allow puck to leave the field of play and take weird bounces that are unfair

and... theres a good reason not to allow offensive zone camping and cheap plays where teams just fire the puck down the ice without making a skill play on it.

theres NO GOOD REASON for anyone to WORRY IF A SKATE WAS IN THE AIR OR ON THE ICE

my point is... look at the logic... figure out the reason... ask what are we trying to accomplish?

the americans have a bill of rights... one of the rules is about the right to bare arms. its been debated for a couple hundred years what it means. you have to try to get into the heads of whoever wrote the law at the time they wrote it. the American forefathers wanted an opportunity for the common man to be able to resist the enslavement of tyranny from oppressors.

and whoever wrote the offside rule wanted to prevent a style of play from being used by the teams where offensive cherry pickers would just wait for the puck instead of being part of an exciting rush

you simply must realize why these laws/rules are in the book in the first place... stop trying to twist old rules to meet changing society.

I dont have any problem with EVERY GOAL getting a quick once look review at regular speed just to avoid gross violations of the rule. no one wants to see some play where a guy is 3-4 feet offside. regular speed single review is plenty good enough to stop grievous violations of the offside rule

Reactions: Strafer

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
NFL reviews all scoring plays.

It was an adjustment period, but when a touch down is scored, my mind is trained to wait for the confirmation from the booth before I allow myself to get excited.

Same deal here. We want them to get the call right. Your team will win some, lose some.

They got burned by the puck out of play last year on the playoffs against CBJ. The league implemented a solution to fix that problem during the off season.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Arguing the spirit of the game (what was intended) is tough. I get it, and I don’t like the nitpicking either.

Along the spirit of the game lines...I hate that the call slashing when you whack somebody’s stick and it shatters or they drop it. Do you know how hard you had to whack somebody’s stick in the 80’s/90’s to get them to break? Like two-hand, chop wood hard. Now the sticks spontaneously combust on a pass, and they are pencil thin.....no wonder guys drop them.

That’s a crap rule too.

How about hitting now? You basically have to holler to a guy that you’re coming before you can make contact. Spirit of the game???? What happened to, “keep your head up, kid”?

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
NFL reviews all scoring plays.

It was an adjustment period, but when a touch down is scored, my mind is trained to wait for the confirmation from the booth before I allow myself to get excited.

Same deal here. We want them to get the call right. Your team will win some, lose some.

They got burned by the puck out of play last year on the playoffs against CBJ. The league implemented a solution to fix that problem during the off season.

I keep wanting to ask people... for years and years and years I saw some goof trip a defender and the puck goes free... the tripped defender cant cover up... a goal is scored... no penalty is called on the play...

why is that so ok? why doesnt that warrant reviews? its flagrant cheating that leads directly to an unfair advantage that results in a goal. its DELIBERATE. why are we ok with no review there

the offside rule is always unintentional. theres never a time when some guy says im going in 1 second ahead of the play because im trying to gain an unfair advantage. its NEVER DELIBERATE. theres never any intent to break a rule and gain an UNFAIR advantage

so... we allow high sticks and holds and trips and slashes and cross checks and slew foots and god knows what... to go uncalled... and lead to illegle obtained goals... no review

but god forbid two guys skating at high speed and attempting to weave and deke and gain the blueline, might mistime their stride by a stutter step?!? THAT MUST BE REVIEWED for 4-6 mins of one slow mo angle after the next after the next after the next because they simply cant determin was it really offside or not?!!!!

but its important to get it right

like... honestly show me the fan that ever asked them to get this crap right in the first place. I will punch that loser in the face without hesitation.

most fans want to get OBVIOUS offsides correctly called. 1 single replay at full speed will get those right 99.9999% of the time. I have never in my life met a fan that freaks out over this stuff unless the call is going against his home team

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Once you open the can of worms, who is to say what offsides calls are obvious and what ones are not?

Either way, someone is going to feel robbed, so all you can do is get it right, even if it’s splitting hairs.

It’s similar to the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck out of play. Once you determine it’s a penalty, you can’t leave room for discretion or intent. It has to be black and white.

Reactions: Jim

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Get rid of this iditoic blight on the game. Hockey is suppose to be fast, chaotic beauty. Having to slow the game down while we review if someone was offside by half an inch is disgusting. There is no arguement to be had that someone is gaining an advantage by being an inch offside. The replay rule was put in place to prevent obvious offsides, now it's micromanaged. Imagine how many glorious moments of hockey that would have been taken away if this replay was around during the 80's, 90's, etc etc. The NHL lived without offside replay for so long and now it's ruined the enjoyment of watching the game.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I agree the spirit of this video replay has been lost. I still would have a hard time accepting a goal against if a player on the rush was clearly couple of feet off side but that's where the rule needs to be looked at. There needs to be a caveat put in place where the offside has two affect the goal. Clearly if you have possession for 30 seconds and it passed the puck around the offensive zone the offside no longer has any bearing on the play as the defense has had plenty of time to recover. I would add that the leg in the air rule was also put in to make it easier for the officials to call a play offside but that no longer makes sense either. Most of these goals would still be allowed if they simply put a camera on the blue line and if a player precedes the puck whether or not his leg or any other part of his body for that matter is in the air it's offside. They have to look at this because it's getting increasingly frustrating way more so than it ever was before for the odd offside that was missed, to see your team make some great plays pass the puck around and score but have it called back because somebody's toenail was up in the air 45 seconds earlier

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think you should only be able to challenge the offside if the goal comes directly after the "offside" like on a rush. If you skate it in the zone, linesman misses the millimeter call, you set it up, and the opponent has chances to clear the puck (or the opponent touches the puck) the play is not reviewable.

I also like the idea of having to watch it at real time. None of this slowing down nonsense.

Something like that. Just get rid of this nonsense somehow, please. Combine it with the horrendous officiating and the game is so bad right now.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I remember when the B’s would score and I’d throw my fist in the air and yell YES! Used to be a fun way to watch a game.

These days I momentarily get sort of excited, then sit back and patiently wait for the faceoff at center ice. Once that takes place I smile and mutter a mild “good”.

NHL knows how to deliver an exciting product. Muted, delayed response is sooooooo much better than unbridled joy.

Like Santa giving a your kid the cool new toy at Christmas that he’s been absolutely dying for. Then saying “you know son, it’s gonna be even better when CVS opens tomorrow and we get some batteries. You’ll see. For now though, look at the great pictures on the box. Aren’t they awesome? Hey, I know....... let’s read the instructions!! Hey, and let’s try on the new socks Uncle Bettman sent you. They are a nylon, acrylic mix! Very soft.”

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
:laugh:

They call that Pandora’s Box. You want to walk back time? Everybody over 30 does....

Take away this rule, and the same Boston fans that are against it now will surely scream for it back when TV/scoreboard replays show a guy was off-sides on a goal against us.

It’s too late...people know that they can have a definitive answer and they won’t accept less. It’s part of the game now. Technology doesn’t go away.

Nice post.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Does not help when the replay booth is in Toronto.

im so deeply set against this rule... it could be a goal against LA scored by Toronto being called back... it wouldnt matter. a goal in an Edmonton philly game being called back. a goal between florida and tampa being called back.

I hope so much this wont be just about us complaining how we are hurt by the calls. its so much bigger. this is a blight on hockey. this is a curse against the fans who want to be able to cheer a goal

if your team gets scored on and its possibly a step offside... sorry buttercup... suck it up... you shouldnt let such a minor little thing cost you a goal. its your own damn fault.

meanwhile... goals are hard to get. if a team does everything necessary to get a goal fairly {except they were an inch offside} then you simply CANT CALL IT BACK!!! its madness

you cant be calling back exciting plays that were accidently technically off the rules... the game needs MORE EXCITEMENT. if there was no intentional cheating... then let it go.

and meanwhile... for those wannabe Nazis that will freak out without replay... how about putting it in for trips and hooks and slashes and crosschecks and highsticks and other DELIBERATE INTENTIONAL CHEATING plays that keep leading to goals

if theres any goals being scored against my team over the years that I will remember and be angry about for years after the fact... its these flagerent missed penalties. the scott walker punch into aaron wards face and then he scores. that crap should be reviewed

but it wont be. they call it a refs discretion to call penalities. they say just live with it, when the ref makes a mistake. human mistake...

so why the idiot stance on these offsides then????!!!! NHL you need to get this fixed.

I turned the tv off in frustration after tonights call. you lost me for an hour as a fan. I wasnt watching your tv commercials. you werent making a penny off me as a fan.

ive done that 3-4 times now this past year. I will be doing it more in the future. and honest to god, if this crap gets worst I might just shut you off permanently

ive been a fan 45 years. I bought a satalite dish to watch your games 30 years ago. I have been subscribing to nhl center ice the last 6-7 years because I am desperate to watch your product. even though I live in alberta and will never be in boston in my life... I made the effort to buy your merchandise and watch your ip.

but you are going to drive me away with this crap

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
im so deeply set against this rule... it could be a goal against LA scored by Toronto being called back... it wouldnt matter. a goal in an Edmonton philly game being called back. a goal between florida and tampa being called back.

I hope so much this wont be just about us complaining how we are hurt by the calls. its so much bigger. this is a blight on hockey. this is a curse against the fans who want to be able to cheer a goal

if your team gets scored on and its possibly a step offside... sorry buttercup... suck it up... you shouldnt let such a minor little thing cost you a goal. its your own damn fault.

meanwhile... goals are hard to get. if a team does everything necessary to get a goal fairly {except they were an inch offside} then you simply CANT CALL IT BACK!!! its madness

you cant be calling back exciting plays that were accidently technically off the rules... the game needs MORE EXCITEMENT. if there was no intentional cheating... then let it go.

and meanwhile... for those wannabe Nazis that will freak out without replay... how about putting it in for trips and hooks and slashes and crosschecks and highsticks and other DELIBERATE INTENTIONAL CHEATING plays that keep leading to goals

if theres any goals being scored against my team over the years that I will remember and be angry about for years after the fact... its these flagerent missed penalties. the scott walker punch into aaron wards face and then he scores. that crap should be reviewed

but it wont be. they call it a refs discretion to call penalities. they say just live with it, when the ref makes a mistake. human mistake...

so why the idiot stance on these offsides then????!!!! NHL you need to get this fixed.

I turned the tv off in frustration after tonights call. you lost me for an hour as a fan. I wasnt watching your tv commercials. you werent making a penny off me as a fan.

ive done that 3-4 times now this past year. I will be doing it more in the future. and honest to god, if this crap gets worst I might just shut you off permanently

ive been a fan 45 years. I bought a satalite dish to watch your games 30 years ago. I have been subscribing to nhl center ice the last 6-7 years because I am desperate to watch your product. even though I live in alberta and will never be in boston in my life... I made the effort to buy your merchandise and watch your ip.

Don’t give up AOR. Word is NHL is reviewing a couple of offsides calls in a handful of games at the old Forum in the late Seventies. We’ll know in the morning if we need to crank up the duck boats for a retroactive parade. NHL is getting very very exciting.

I hear they are also looking into a couple of old stick measurement calls from the old days using laser instruments to remeasure stick curves.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Just put in a 5 second rule that you may challenge an offside. This will eliminate a goal being called back a full minute or two after the supposed offside. It will also eliminate the video guy having an eternity to call back down to the bench. There won't be time for millimeter scrutiny. So basically the only time any coach would challenge an offside is on a completely egregious missed call by the linesman. Which is what the spirit of the challenge rule should have been in the first place.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Just put in a 5 second rule that you may challenge an offside. This will eliminate a goal being called back a full minute or two after the supposed offside. It will also eliminate the video guy having an eternity to call back down to the bench. There won't be time for millimeter scrutiny. So basically the only time any coach would challenge an offside is on a completely egregious missed call by the linesman. Which is what the spirit of the challenge rule should have been in the first place.

Could work... but i prefer all goals get a quick real time review. If goals can be spotted at real time then they shouldnt count

I dont mind slow mo for determining if pucks truely went in

Im ok taking time if its needed

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
How to fix this disaster, since we know replay reviews and challenges are staying.

1. Blue line extends to the sky, foot doesn't matter if it's in the air or not. It's a dumb rule.

2. Limit offsides challenges to a certain timeframe after pick enters and a goal is scored. Don't bail teams out for not playing defense when a goal is scored 20 seconds afterwards.

The rule was put in place to prevent the egregious Matt Duchene non-calls.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->