Offsides Idea

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Some people on hf are always complaining about offsides, saying that it slows down the game. This got me thinking, and here's what I came up with. Not that I would prefer this method. It's just an idea. I don't have to much of a problem with the current offsides.

Anyway my idea was to add a second blue line at either end of the ice. I'll call it the "black" line. The black line would be deeper in the zone; for instance at the tops of he circles. The black line would serve as the traditional blue line when entering the zone, so the puck would need to cross the black line before the offense. however in order to clear the zone the defense would still need to get the puck past the old blue line. The black line can be placed wherever; not necessarily at the tops of the circles.

This would allow the offense to get closer to the net, without being offsides, and speed up the game in the neutral zone. It would also keep dump and chase some what relevant, because it would still be the same difficulty for the D to clear the zone.

I don't necessarily think they should change offsides though. Its been the same ever since I started playing, and I still like to play and watch.

Edit: the guy a few posts below (se829ne) probably explains it better than I did.

Last edited:

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
If the line was wavy instead of straight the league could sell it to generate extra revenue and be known as the windows logo line.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wait people complain about offsides slowing down the game so let's add more lines and make it more confusing ?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I vote we combine all the various offside and offside review complaint threads.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Just make blue lines wider, for example 4-6 feet wide... If offensive player is on that "line" without puck he isn't offside. D-men would have to clean the zone by going to neutral zone however.

That would make neutral and D-zone overlap that 4-6 feet for benefit of offense and reffing. It would be also easier for refs to make right calls against such kind wider "line" (actually mini Zone that could be also wider then 4-6 feet but starting the neutral zone side of current blue line).

Generally I like the idea of overlapping zones because it wouldn't change hockey too much but would allow slightly improved scoring changes over big sample sets of games as it would favor offense if utilized similar manner then in OP's 'black line' idea.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Just make blue lines wider, for example 4-6 feet wide... If offensive player is on that "line" without puck he isn't offside. D-men would have to clean the zone by going to neutral zone however.

That would make neutral and D-zone overlap that 4-6 feet for benefit of offense and reffing. It would be also easier for refs to make right calls against such kind wider "line" (actually mini Zone that could be also wider then 4-6 feet but starting the neutral zone side of current blue line).

Generally I like the idea of overlapping zones because it wouldn't change hockey too much but would allow slightly improved scoring changes over big sample sets of games as it would favor offense if utilized similar manner then in OP's 'black line' idea.

Yep. I think this is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad