Offseason Time Killer: Most Obscure Blues Players

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Slightly OT, but Shawn ****ing Belle

Not obscure as most of us know of him because he was like one of like two (exaggerating slightly, but not by much) 2003 1st rounders to not pan out. I wasn’t really old enough to follow the draft/scouting then so maybe it was a good pick at the time, but still, what could’ve been lol.

I don't know. He wasn't as bad a Marek f'n Schwartz........

Jarmo got a lot of credit, but I think Bill Armstrong is a much better drafter - especially when looking at who Columbus has drafted since he took over as GM vs. Armstrong.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Jarmo got a lot of credit, but I think Bill Armstrong is a much better drafter - especially when looking at who Columbus has drafted since he took over as GM vs. Armstrong.
Agreed, Armstrong is better. I think we are getting more hits outside of the 1st round with him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
How about Lubos Bartecko?

Part of the Slovak line:
Bartecko - Handsus - Demitra

Nagy was always there too...

Back in the 90s plastic surgery wasn't the norm. A friend of the family had a DD enhancement. First night out after the surgery, she meets and eventually marries Lubos. They're still happily married.
I saw Lubos recently. He's still built like a f***ing linebacker.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What Dutch-born player almost went PPG before being traded to the Blues, for whom he played about half a season?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Let's not insult Jaden. Marek's family name is different: It is spelt "Schwarz".
As to Jarmo's Blues drafting, it was heavily weighted in drafting European boom-bust types using higher round choices than necessary: Eller was the very best of them, and HE was drafted with too high a choice. So many of those Euro skaters which were taken in Rounds 1-3 never made The NHL at all. He was bailed out with The Tarasenko trade, on a valuable 1st Rounder. Took Cole (USA guy) with a 1st, when he should have been a 2nd Rounder, and drafted MANY, MANY good skating, but contact-avoiding forwards and defencemen, especially in The 2nd Round (some also high in The 3rd), who either never came to North America, or who came and were not willing to play the 200 foot game, and eventually went back to Europe. Bill Armstrong has drafted infinitely better, especially given the general level of picks being significantly lower, on average, than those Jarmo got to play with.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What Dutch-born player almost went PPG before being traded to the Blues, for whom he played about half a season?

The only Dutch-born player for The Blues was Ed Kea. And he played 4 whole seasons for The Blues, and never came close to 0.25 PPG, let alone 1.0 PPG. So, he must not be who you have in mind. Eddy Beers, John Wensink, and Jay Bouwmeester were all born and raised in Canada. So, I have no idea who you mean. But, the only other Dutch player, born in The Netherlands, Daniel Sprong, never played for The Blues.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The only Dutch-born player for The Blues was Ed Kea. And he played 4 whole seasons for The Blues, and never came close to 0.25 PPG, let alone 1.0 PPG. So, he must not be who you have in mind. Eddy Beers, John Wensink, and Jay Bouwmeester were all born and raised in Canada. So, I have no idea who you mean. But, the only other Dutch player, born in The Netherlands, Daniel Sprong, never played for The Blues.
Ed Beers was born in The Netherlands, Robb. Ed Beers - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I used to live quite near to Zwaag. I should go ask the Mayor to put up a placard commemorating the town as the birthplace of an NHL player! :laugh:

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Ed Beers was born in The Netherlands, Robb. Ed Beers - Wikipedia
All the NHL sources I read, and Hockey db said he was born in B.C. I've kept track of Dutch players in The NHL for a long time, and always remember that Ed Kea was the only one, until Daniel Sprong came along. Wikipedia can't be trusted as a source of information, because anyone can come on and change what is there, and add false information. But, I also see now that one out of the 5 NHL sources I checked, says the same as Wikipedia, that Beers was born in Zwaag, Netherlands. So, perhaps a family member went onto Wikipedia, and corrected it. But, he must have come with his parents to B.C. as an infant (and a very young one, at that), for that mistake to have gone uncorrected for so many years. Surely, he started school and ice skating, and playing hockey in Canada

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
All the NHL sources I read, and Hockey db said he was born in B.C. I've kept track of Dutch players in The NHL for a long time, and always remember that Ed Kea was the only one, until Daniel Sprong came along. Wikipedia can't be trusted as a source of information, because anyone can come on and change what is there, and add false information. But, I also see now that one out of the 5 NHL sources I checked, says the same as Wikipedia, that Beers was born in Zwaag, Netherlands. So, perhaps a family member went onto Wikipedia, and corrected it. But, he must have come with his parents to B.C. as an infant (and a very young one, at that), for that mistake to have gone uncorrected for so many years. Surely, he started school and ice skating, and playing hockey in Canada
Very likely. It's a minor point, I was just trying to come up with an obscure player and to provide clues. You are certainly very thorough, and one of the few on here that have been following the Blues longer than me! Always a pleasure to discuss the Blues!

The Zombonis

Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
Was going to say Jim Hrivnak, but I saw he played in goal for 23 games for the Blues. So I'm going to go the Gretzky-like route and say Martin Brodeur and his 7 games played.:sarcasm:

psully31

Aug 20, 2018
St. Louis
While not that obscure, my favorite lesser known Blue was Eric Boguniecki. Had one good year, but then went back to being a tweener. Strange career.

Reactions: KirkOut

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
While not that obscure, my favorite lesser known Blue was Eric Boguniecki. Had one good year, but then went back to being a tweener. Strange career.
He played well that one year because The Blues had a weak team then, and he was a regular on a much higher line than he should be on when The Blues have a normal roster. Lots of NHLer's can score 20 goals if they play 17-18 mpg, and get time on the #1, or even #2 power play. When you play regularly, you get more of a playing rhythm, more knowledge off opposing goalies, and opponent defenders' tendencies, and a better rhythm together with your linemates (as well as better knowledge of your linemates' habits and tendencies).

psully31

Aug 20, 2018
St. Louis
I own an Eric Boguniecki jersey. True story. No ragrets.
I have a signed Boguniecki trading card from when he came to my elementary school. One of those cheap cards from the team packs they used to give out at a game every year. It's totally worth something, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad