Offseason Time Killer: Most Obscure Blues Players

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Next question; before becoming one of the best statistical goalies in the League at the tender age of 31, this goalie spent a year as the starting goalie for the Peoria River Men. Who is he?

Are you sure that you mean the Rivermen and not the IceCats? I thought I had this one, but after checking, the player I'm thinking of played for Worcester when they were the Blues' affiliate.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Are you sure that you mean the Rivermen and not the IceCats? I thought I had this one, but after checking, the player I'm thinking of played for Worcester when they were the Blues' affiliate.

Mea Culpa, I did mean the Cats.
My fault for day drinking when posing the question.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Dwayne Roloson?

Correct.
Let’s allow me to sober up a bit before the next question(unless someone else wants to continue).

Edit: never mind, let’s continue. This D Man, originally drafted by the Blues, was traded to Boston in ‘96 but made his name as a top 4 D man for the Edmonton Oilers playing over 500 games for that Franchise. Who is he?

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Correct.
Let’s allow me to sober up a bit before the next question(unless someone else wants to continue).

Edit: never mind, let’s continue. This D Man, originally drafted by the Blues, was traded to Boston in ‘96 but made his name as a top 4 D man for the Edmonton Oilers playing over 500 games for that Franchise. Who is he?
Staios.

Nice one.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Chebaturkin was the worst defenceman I can ever remember with the Blues.
Shishkanov, what a waste of giving up our highest scorer at the trade deadline! Better to have settled for a 4th Round draft choice! He had some talent, but couldn't put things together. Gamache was a skilled string bean. He needed 5 years of rigourous weight-lifting programme, plus a severe weight-gaining programme. And then, at least, we could have seen him when he turned sideways!
Hmmmm he was pretty bad, but I bet Bill Houlder might challenge his claim to that dubious distinction.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wayne Gretzky was an obscure Blue. He played only 14 regular season games! :naughty:

This is true Robb. I feel like half the fans of other teams I talk to have no recollection of Gretzky playing for the Blues. Of course, serious hockey fans know but a lot of casual fans don't even know it happened. Maybe add Hawerchuk to this list. I bet many hockey fans don't recall he played one year here.

Wish I could come up with a better answer but you guys have covered all of the ones I could come up with, and a whole lot more.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
How about Lubos Bartecko?

Part of the Slovak line:
Bartecko - Handsus - Demitra

Nagy was always there too...

Back in the 90s plastic surgery wasn't the norm. A friend of the family had a DD enhancement. First night out after the surgery, she meets and eventually marries Lubos. They're still happily married.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How about Lubos Bartecko?

Part of the Slovak line:
Bartecko - Handsus - Demitra

Nagy was always there too...

Back in the 90s plastic surgery wasn't the norm. A friend of the family had a DD enhancement. First night out after the surgery, she meets and eventually marries Lubos. They're still happily married.

Wow, what a story. So I guess the plastic surgery "paid off" eh?

I can't really think of Bartecko as obscure because I have seen him play for the Slovak national team so many times. I feel like he was still playing as of a couple years ago.

Will Mitch Reinke be a future answer to this question?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Correct.

Next question; This defenseman, originally drafted by the Blues, made his name as a tough guy for the Ducks racking up over 1000 PIM's in his NHL career. Who is he?

Good question. Had to look it up so won't spoil it.

Has anyone mentioned Valeri Bure yet?

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Correct.

Next question; This defenseman, originally drafted by the Blues, made his name as a tough guy for the Ducks racking up over 1000 PIM's in his NHL career. Who is he?

I got this one wrong. I thought it was Robert Dirk. He checks all the boxes except for 1000 PIMs. After searching, I know what the answer is, but hopefully someone will be able to get it without searching.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Slightly OT, but Shawn ****ing Belle

Not obscure as most of us know of him because he was like one of like two (exaggerating slightly, but not by much) 2003 1st rounders to not pan out. I wasn’t really old enough to follow the draft/scouting then so maybe it was a good pick at the time, but still, what could’ve been lol.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Correct.

Not Shawn Antoski? we gave up the 1st round pick that Vancouver used to select him, but we didn't actually draft him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Correct.

Oh jeez, of course! He skated next to Scott Stevens as a rookie, who admired his poise. Good one! (EDIT: OMG, that trade was in retrospect, one of the worst trades EVER made by the Blues! :( )

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Not Shawn Antoski? we gave up the 1st round pick that Vancouver used to select him, but we didn't actually draft him.

Honestly, I didn't think this one would be such a stumper.

Since nobody has posted the name yet, here's a few more hints: he was drafted in the 1st round and your mention of Bill Houlder gave me the idea for this question.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Not obscure as most of us know of him because he was like one of like two (exaggerating slightly, but not by much) 2003 1st rounders to not pan out. I wasn’t really old enough to follow the draft/scouting then so maybe it was a good pick at the time, but still, what could’ve been lol.
Belle was big, and a good skater. But he had had very little hockey experience on a remotely high level. He was mobile, fast and big. Those were good attributes for a defenceman to have. But, he was a boom/bust gamble. At best, he would be a project that would have to come along slowly to make up the experience he had missed. He had zero hockey sense. There were better players left on the board. In retrospect, The Blues should have made a safer pick. It was a weak draft year, and because there weren't any players left that looked very promising, they took the gamble, hoping that Belle would pick up the game quickly, and learn to use his big frame to punish opponent forwards, while using his speed and mobility to help his team on offence. It Didn't happen. Belle washed out with 3 teams.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That one stumped me. Never would have connected him with the Blues. Hell, he wasn't even on the short list of tough guy Ducks defensemen that came to mind.
Exact same for me.

I had to look it up, and while I was in the process of that, I don't think I ever realized that the Blues drafted Mike Grier.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

One of Jarmo’s first, and most egregious draft flubs

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Exact same for me.

I had to look it up, and while I was in the process of that, I don't think I ever realized that the Blues drafted Mike Grier.

Yep, I clearly recall Keenan shipping him out as a pretty exciting prospect with Cujo during the Keenan purge. Ah well....

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Who is Jason Marshall?

We have a winner.
Jason Marshall was drafted 9th overall by the Blues and played 2 games for us in 91-92 scoring a goal and notching 4 PIM's.

Admittedly I was going to do Grier next, but since that one got spoiled how about this one:
This Defenseman was originally drafted by the Blues and spent parts of 2 seasons with the Blues; but is much better known for his Coaching Career having served as Head Coach for 3 different Franchises with 2 appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals(no wins). Who is he?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
We have a winner.
Jason Marshall was drafted 9th overall by the Blues and played 2 games for us in 91-92 scoring a goal and notching 4 PIM's.

Admittedly I was going to do Grier next, but since that one got spoiled how about this one:
This Defenseman was originally drafted by the Blues and spent parts of 2 seasons with the Blues; but is much better known for his Coaching Career having served as Head Coach for 3 different Franchises with 2 appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals(no wins). Who is he?
Alain Vigneault

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad