Offseason Time Killer: Most Obscure Blues Players

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Robbie Irons, Goalie, 1968-9. Played one game for three minutes. Glenn Hall was ejected from the game and Jacques Plante was not ready to enter. Robbie Irons filled in for 3 minutes and 1 second. Wikipedia states that Christian Soucy also only played three minutes in his career, both holding the fewest-minutes-played record until Jorge Alves played 7.6 seconds in his only NHL game.

Robbie Irons played 11 seasons for the Fort Wayne Komets and was a 6-time all-star. He then became the play-by-play analyst for the Komets for over 30 years. (The first hockey games I ever attended were the Komets at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum and I saw Robbie play a number of times.)
Actually met him in the Alumni Suite about 5 years ago. He was in town for his grandson’s tournament. Very nice man. Very surprised that I knew who he was.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Off the top of my head, since I started watching in the late 90s:

Ricard Perrson
Eric Nickulas
Tyson Strachan
Brian Savage
All 10 guys played goalie for us that one year
These are some good ones, nostalgia for me since I started watching around the same time.

Some others that come to mind:

- Timofei Shishkanov
- Mike Glumac
- Pascal Rheaume
- Simon Gamache
- Aaron Downey
- Vladimir Chebaturkin

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
These are some good ones, nostalgia for me since I started watching around the same time.

- Timofei Shishkanov
- Mike Glumac
- Pascal Rheaume
- Simon Gamache
- Aaron Downey
- Vladimir Chebaturkin

Tom Kovisto
Vladimir Orszagh
Daniel Corso
Mike Keane
Evgeny Grachev

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tom Kovisto
Vladimir Orszagh
Daniel Corso
Mike Keane
Evgeny Grachev
Yesss I could picture Orszagh in my head but was trying to remember what his name was when I made that post.

Thought of Koivisto too.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Here's a fun game......go here: Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

- In the yellow box choose 'Search for Combined Seasons'
- Under 'Seasons' choose the first season that you started following the Blues to 2017-18
- Under 'Franchise' choose St. Louis Blues
- Under 'Sort By' choose Games Played
- Click 'Get Results'

Search the list until you come upon the first name that you don't recognize/remember. The goal being to find the player with the most games played that is obscure to you. Post your results.

This was mine:
238th Player - Kevin Miehm - 22 Games Played - 1992-1994
Ha! Ha! Even I don't remember Kevin Miehm, and I was watching The Blues closely in 1992-94.

Reactions: The Grouch

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

- Timofei Shishkanov
- Mike Glumac
- Pascal Rheaume
- Simon Gamache
- Aaron Downey
- Vladimir Chebaturkin
Chebaturkin was the worst defenceman I can ever remember with the Blues.
Shishkanov, what a waste of giving up our highest scorer at the trade deadline! Better to have settled for a 4th Round draft choice! He had some talent, but couldn't put things together. Gamache was a skilled string bean. He needed 5 years of rigourous weight-lifting programme, plus a severe weight-gaining programme. And then, at least, we could have seen him when he turned sideways!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Wasn't Gordon Kannegiesser one of the original Blues? Not sure how we got him.

I believe we got Wayne Maki in a trade with the Hawks. I assume you're referencing the stick swinging incident between Maki and Teddy Green that left Green with a fractured skull. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Maki went on to play with the Canucks for a few years and died of cancer at an early age.
Yes, Gord Kannegiesser was one of The Original Blues. He was obtained from Toronto in The Expansion Draft. Yes, Wayne Maki was the guy who fractured Ted Green's skull. Wayne Maki was The Hawks' Chico Maki's younger brother. Maki was claimed by The Blues in The 1969 Reverse (minor League) Draft from The Chicago Blackhawks. Yes, he later played for The Canucks, after being drafted by them from The Blues in their expansion draft..

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Steele

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My favorite obscure Blues player was Kari Eloranta, a Finn.

He was an interesting player, and I remember a play he made once where, in an attempt to escape pressure, he played the puck back the goaltender. The goalie seemed shocked but made the save.

Dan Kelly remarked that you see that play in soccer occasionally, but not in hockey.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Chebaturkin was the worst defenceman I can ever remember with the Blues.
Shishkanov, what a waste of giving up our highest scorer at the trade deadline! Better to have settled for a 4th Round draft choice! He had some talent, but couldn't put things together. Gamache was a skilled string bean. He needed 5 years of rigourous weight-lifting programme, plus a severe weight-gaining programme. And then, at least, we could have seen him when he turned sideways!

He was a big, strong guy, but he would be unable to decide where he wanted to go with the puck, so he just froze. The opponents came after him like crows going after roadkill.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Off the top of my head, since I started watching in the late 90s:

Ricard Perrson
Eric Nickulas
Tyson Strachan
Brian Savage
All 10 guys played goalie for us that one year

So fun story that I remember about him. He wore #7. I know this because when the Blues acquired Keith Tkachuk, the Blues broadcast had a trivia question asking “Who was the last person to wear #7 for the Blues?”

Only instead of “person”, they had accidentally spoiled the answer and wrote “Persson”.

My favorite obscure Blue and my go to on this topic? Libor Zibransky.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
Rich Parent was a goalie for the Blues who played in 11 games between the 97/98-98/99 seasons.

His tenure with the Blues came to an end after an Al MacInnis slapshot ruptured one of his family jewels.

My father's wife gave me a team autographed Rich Parent goalie stick she had won at a raffle in the 90s.

Knowing Hull played his final year with the Blues in 97/98, I hoped he'd signed it. I excitedly looked for my favorite player's autograph, then I found it. At least, I thought. Upon further inspection it read, "Butt Hull". I assume a Blues employee did it as a joke after Hull signed with the Stars in the off-season.

L6StCYH.jpg

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Wayne Gretzky was an obscure Blue. He played only 14 regular season games! :naughty:

Your Gretzky answer reminded me of HOFer Glenn Anderson. Keenan liked getting proven winners and he got Anderson to play with Hull and Gretzky. He was old, but could still skate.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Rules are: Had to play at the NHL level, and if he has a back story give it.

First up. Harry York

BS: played professional roller hockey the year before he signed with the Blues.

I liked York. They played him on the 4th line, but he had decent hands.

Craig Johnson.

He scored the first goal at the Kiel/Scottrade/Enterprise Center. He was also traded for Gretzky.

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK
Joseph Lawrence Zanussi - 1976-77 St. Louis Blue - 11 GP 0 G 3 A 4 PIMs

A 1970-71 CHL Player of the Year Award winner, Joe 'Crazy Legs' Zanussi played for the Winnipeg Jets in the WHA, the New York Rangers, and the Boston Bruins before coming over to St. Louis.

He assisted on the the Winnipeg Jets' first ever WHA goal.

I chose to highlight Mr. Zanussi because I find him suitably obscure. Perhaps surprisingly so, given that he had such an awesome nickname (Crazy Legs)...

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Gary Hart. Big (for the 70's) defenceman who was cotton-soft. Guy a few rows back had a passionate hatred for Hart and hilariously berated him every time he hit the ice:

How's Salt Lake City Hart? (Our farm club at the time)

Hit him with your purse Hart!

Other way Hart, that one's your own goal!

Didja get his number Hart? Or will you buy him dinner first?

OOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO!

It never stopped....all season. Good times.

Reactions: simon IC

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Trivia question;
This goalie was picked up on waivers and put back on waivers without even getting a practice with the team. Who is he?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Nate Prosser, I don't think there's ever been a player who has more UFA contracts signed than games played with a franchise.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Craig Anderson?

Correct.
Anderson was a Blue for a total of 4 days, did not play any games and did not even have a practice with the team because of our travel schedule. And he went on to establish himself as one of the clutch starters in the game.

Next question; before becoming one of the best statistical goalies in the League at the tender age of 31, this goalie spent a year as the starting goalie for the Peoria River Men. Who is he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad